"Next-Gen" Graphics?

#1Fr33zPosted 2/1/2013 8:23:37 AM
Well Projekt Red(Witcher Series) finally unveiled there next gen graphics engine for the next generation of consoles called RedEngine3 and revealed this screen shot alongside it.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/REDengine-3.jpg

While it does like nice my question is, is this the supposed "monumental" leap that everyone said next gen was supposed to bring? Cause honestly it still looks similar to current gen albeit a bit better lighting,textures, etc here and there.

And to those who are going to say "its still too soon, wait till they really use the consoles power" shouldn't that logic be applied to the WiiU which everyone says "Oh its not showing any next gen graphics in its first 2 months of its lifespan!!"
---
NNID: Illuminatis
Current Systems: PSP, PS3, Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS
#2blablablax17Posted 2/1/2013 8:25:06 AM
the detail is nice, but the textures are bad, imo

Im pretty sure high-end pc's can already do that (maybe better)
---
Stalking the GameFaqs boards since '06.
#3Enigma149Posted 2/1/2013 8:25:50 AM
Really, we won't be able to tell until we see some actual gameplay videos, but a screenshot with nothing in it isn't a very good way to judge graphic fidelity.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#4Virus66Posted 2/1/2013 8:26:51 AM
People have been saying this for years. There will not be another jump like there was in the HD era. You'll just get slightly better lighting, shadows, textures, more enemies on screen, etc. That doesn't quite equate to the same jump we've seen for the last few generations.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#5digiblasterPosted 2/1/2013 8:28:12 AM
I'm waiting for someone to say that they aren't any good, their games don't have good graphics, something to that effect.

On topic, it's nice, but nothing spectacular. And it's entirely plausible this is the 'next-gen' standard. I've been saying this all along, but I'm mostly met with comments about how I'm a fantroll and various other obscenities.
#6Fr33z(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 8:28:17 AM
Virus66 posted...
People have been saying this for years. There will not be another jump like there was in the HD era. You'll just get slightly better lighting, shadows, textures, more enemies on screen, etc. That doesn't quite equate to the same jump we've seen for the last few generations.

Exactly, I wont deny that the PS4/NextBox will probably be stronger than the WiiU but I highly doubt they'll pull off anything so monumental graphically that it will be the Wii situation all over again.
---
#7trenkenPosted 2/1/2013 8:30:12 AM
blablablax17 posted...
the detail is nice, but the textures are bad, imo

Im pretty sure high-end pc's can already do that (maybe better)

They definitely can. The U cannot produce a game like that. It will never happen, but this is a bit closer to what I expect of the PS4/720. The PS3/360 cannot produce graphics like that in real time with a bunch of other things happening on screen.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#8Enigma149Posted 2/1/2013 8:33:20 AM
I think part of the problem is that each of the other generations had such a big leap, it'll be hard to match.

The 4th to 5th generation was huge, largely because 3D games went from a dozen on each system to the main form of gameplay. FMVs also helped impress people, even though they weren't actual gameplay.

The 5th to 6th generation was huge, as 3d games finally became more mainstream. Likewise, although most people don't know it, these were the first consoles with ED TV support (480p vs 480i). We also saw the introduction of major online systems (the 2600, Famicom, S. Famicom, Genesis, and N64 all had online, but they were limited to a very small selection of games).

The 6th to 7th generation was huge, as HD finally became more mainstream (we had HD in the 6th, but very few games supported it, and very few people had HD TVs.).

The 7th to 8th generation has...what, exactly? 4K? Please - 4K isn't even as widespread today as HD was in the 6th generation. Better graphics? Well, maybe - but compare a $1000 PC to the PS3, and you'll find the gap to be smaller than the 4th-5th gap by a mile. Online? We've already got that. Bigger games? Unless someone wants to include an expensive BD XL drive, we really can't pass 50 GB without going multi-disc again.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#9trenkenPosted 2/1/2013 8:33:26 AM
Virus66 posted...

VERY false. It's very clear you do not have a high end gaming PC. Because they are significantly beyond anything you can find on the U, PS3 and 360.

Go build a nice $800 PC, buy GTA4, install the 2012 graphics mod and you let me know about that "small" jump you're talking about.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#10Fr33z(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 8:36:10 AM
trenken posted...
Virus66 posted...

VERY false. It's very clear you do not have a high end gaming PC. Because they are significantly beyond anything you can find on the U, PS3 and 360.

Go build a nice $800 PC, buy GTA4, install the 2012 graphics mod and you let me know about that "small" jump you're talking about.

He's talking Console wise. PC wise the limit is endless due to an its ability to be upgraded and much much larger budget. But for consoles? They need to remain cost effective and still be able to return a profit. Thats why consoles have a hard cap on how much power they can reach while still being able to be sold. Build a $800 PC yeah thats great, but who will buy an $800 console?
---