Rumor: Wii U has hidden reserves of power

#1Squirt_ShadoPosted 2/1/2013 10:52:09 AM
So I was browsing Nintendo forums and saw someone mentioning their analysis of the Wii U tech. Apparently the CPU has a built-in infrastructure for "overclocking", which is where you increase the clockspeed of a CPU's cores. Now, typically this results in a massive increase in heat and will surely fry your hardware unless you set up a high-powered cooling system. However, this guy said that judging by the PSU and airflow design of the system, Wii U could easily be clocked to 3.0 Ghz if not higher. Moreover, it is possible to do this at the software level, i.e. without specialized hardware.

I suspect this is a deliberate ruse by Nintendo, to "lower the bar" for Sony and Microsoft. Since they believe Wii U is still weak, they will create systems with hardware that seems to trump it but is not as strong as it could be. However, the overclock from Nintendo will result in a system that performs equally to the competition based on the leaked specs, if not better. Developers will have little excuse to port their games to Wii U, and even develop for Wii U first.

It's a tricky gambit, but seems like something Nintendo would do. They're essentially hiding their power level.
#2spicyitalian739Posted 2/1/2013 10:54:17 AM
Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his power level?!?!?

No, really... I doubt they did this. Just be happy to be getting games like Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem and quit getting juiced up about graphics. Buy a PS4 for that. Best of both worlds.
---
PSN and Nintendo Network: FlyingWasabi
Xbox Live: Flying Wasabi
#3SSJMarioPosted 2/1/2013 10:54:31 AM
no
---
PSN=bowserkick
#4SuperShyGuy9000Posted 2/1/2013 10:54:51 AM
I wouldn't bet on it
#5hellbringherPosted 2/1/2013 10:55:17 AM
This is what a kid is told after he gets beat up.
---
News - EA does not like the Wii U. Fanboy - good they are horrible anyway.
#6Nok_Su_KowPosted 2/1/2013 11:00:32 AM
Time to watch hours and hours of Dragonball.
#7Squirt_Shado(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 11:04:38 AM
spicyitalian739 posted...
Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his power level?!?!?

No, really... I doubt they did this. Just be happy to be getting games like Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem and quit getting juiced up about graphics. Buy a PS4 for that. Best of both worlds.

It makes sense if you think about it though.

- Why would Nintendo use modern hardware INTENTIONALLY weakened by a slow clock speed?
- Why have they avoided showing the Wii U's true potential so far?
- Why have Sony and Microsoft kept their specs under wraps for so long?

It's a very tricky game they're playing.
#8StarBladeEdgePosted 2/1/2013 11:05:13 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9StarBladeEdgePosted 2/1/2013 11:06:49 AM
yeah scared ? don't piss in your pants trolls it's only a rumor lol

would be great if true though. a lot of mamis need to buy new pants for the little sony trolls :(

wet pants all over the net !
---
Nintendo The Best Game Company Let's destroy the wiiu board trolls!
WiiU True Next Gen for the next 8-10 years !
#10tizzywilkillyouPosted 2/1/2013 11:10:15 AM(edited)
Source?

This is incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly unlikely.

EDIT: The only hit on google for that passage of text is this topic. So again. Source?
---
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050