Nintendo needs to Westernize their games if they hope to survive

#21P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/1/2013 4:22:58 PM
10000_needles posted...
^^I fail to see how Fire Emblem isn't a JRPG (it certainly follows the art direction of one, and there are many Tactical games like Final Fantasy Tactics or Valkyria Chronicles that are considered JRPGs)

People don't consider SRPG actual RPGs for some reason.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece
#22WestbrickIIIPosted 2/1/2013 4:25:01 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
10000_needles posted...
^^I fail to see how Fire Emblem isn't a JRPG (it certainly follows the art direction of one, and there are many Tactical games like Final Fantasy Tactics or Valkyria Chronicles that are considered JRPGs)

People don't consider SRPG actual RPGs for some reason.

Because they play completely differently. It's true that Awakening's story and character design are much more JRPG-inspired than previous games in the series, but no one considers FE/FFT/TO "Japanese RPGs." At most, they're SRPGs with some JRPG elements.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#23excitebike64Posted 2/1/2013 4:25:06 PM
Flip it around. Nintendo needs the most Japanese support to truly conquer. Westernization means nothing unless you're MS... for now, anyway.
#24AiddonPosted 2/1/2013 4:25:40 PM
hey, Japan EXISTS, get the hell over it. God, I'm sick and tired of this subtle xenophobia Western gamers have towards Japan. It's like they want to be the entertainment equivalent of Commodore Perry
#25SL68Posted 2/1/2013 4:27:32 PM
Aiddon posted...
hey, Japan EXISTS, get the hell over it. God, I'm sick and tired of this subtle xenophobia Western gamers have towards Japan. It's like they want to be the entertainment equivalent of Commodore Perry

It's not like that. It's about Hollywood productions like GTA, CoD and Uncharted. Japanese developers don't have the money to make such games. And Hollywood productions are the only kind of games people are ready to pay $60 today for.

The middle sized production games are going to disappear within a few years.
#26Phantom_NookPosted 2/1/2013 4:32:03 PM
You know, the Metroid Prime games were made in Texas.
---
GT: Tommy XD001
3DS FC: 4682-8954-0442
#27AiddonPosted 2/1/2013 4:32:36 PM
SL68 posted...

It's not like that. It's about Hollywood productions like GTA, CoD and Uncharted. Japanese developers don't have the money to make such games..

Uh, neither do most Western devs. I don't see how the West would automatically have more capital to do shiny presentation
#28SL68Posted 2/1/2013 4:32:49 PM
Phantom_Nook posted...

And they didn't sell very well.
#29Virus66Posted 2/1/2013 4:43:04 PM
SL68 posted...
Phantom_Nook posted...

Uhh... what? Metroid Prime sold 2.82 million, Prime 2 sold 1.33 million and Prime 3 sold 1.64 million. They don't have to sell 10 million to "sell well"

They are also some of the highest rated Nintendo titles out there.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#30ugoo18Posted 2/1/2013 5:00:13 PM(edited)
Virus66 posted...
SL68 posted...
Phantom_Nook posted...

Uhh... what? Metroid Prime sold 2.82 million, Prime 2 sold 1.33 million and Prime 3 sold 1.64 million. They don't have to sell 10 million to "sell well"

They are also some of the highest rated Nintendo titles out there.

Prime 3 would have sold more than that, it's literally impossible for a game released nearly 6 years ago to only have sold that much. Nintendo would have to have ceased production once that number was hit and recalled.

It sold over 1.3 million by March 2008 (Released in August 2007). From August 2008 to now would mean it only sold 330,000 more copies which is unrealistic to say the least. The game even with a massive slowdown in sales would have hit at the very least 2.5 if not 3 million+ (It was outselling Bioshock at release in North America).
---
"THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT ?"