Nintendo needs to Westernize their games if they hope to survive

#61NickTheBlitzPosted 2/2/2013 4:29:42 PM
omniryu posted...

That's not westernizing. It is still eastern. If bioware did FT XIII it would of been much better. Trust me.

Yeah. Turning Final Fantasy into Space Marine Shooter: Sex Simulator would be a great innovation.

And towards the whole "western games are better because they strive to be Hollywood productions" argument, I present this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0VQ7-5b_Io

'Cause, you know. Hollywood is "fresh" and "original."
---
"Love, hope, faith. The greatest of these: love."
Check out my webcomic! http://www.drunkduck.com/La_Vie_a_la_Mode
#62DTY3Posted 2/2/2013 4:30:58 PM
Nintendo needs to Westernize their games if they hope to survive

*looks at DmC*

Hahahahha. No.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#63omniryuPosted 2/2/2013 4:33:33 PM
I went over this before. I remember I said that assassin creed 3 was like a spiritual successor to a link to the past in terms of exploring and overworld content.

Not to bash the east. The west have a more known reputation to cut crucial content out of the game and sell it as DLC. I'm a very big advocate DLC, but cutting the main story out is unacceptable. What we should hope and strive for is a mixture of the strength of both. West has good storytelling or presentation. The East has a more varied gameplay mechanic. Mass effect, gears of war, etc - all inspired by resident evil 4.

Not to say the east don't, but western games tend to tell the story pretty well and the characters don't have foreign and weird body language and dialogue. That's what put me off for a few Japanese games, mainly FF XIII. It works for a few games like the anime or cartoonish styles.
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#64omniryuPosted 2/2/2013 4:36:47 PM
Final fantasy 13 is pretty much a space shooter marine. Yes, you have swordplay and everything but they're trying blend "sword fantasy" and "gun fiction" together. But I wasn't talking so much about the gameplay I was talking about the story and how it presented.
---
#65SocranPosted 2/2/2013 4:43:09 PM
MC_Brian1 posted...
Mass Effect? Elder Scrolls games? They certainly raised the bar in terms of interactive storytelling and open-ended RPGs, respectively.

Morrowind is the game that brought innovation to open-ended RPGs, and that was a long time ago. Oblivion and Skyrim simply built on top of that, which isn't a bad thing, but yeah.

MagnaderAlpha posted...
I think the whole "cater to the west" mentality needs to die. Every time I see someone rallying for "appease MY western taste" I always think of those protests where, in some foreign country, people are ranting about how the Western nations is trying to "Westernize" everything and force it's "idealistic view" on every known country in the world. While some of that might be too much, the whole "Me me me!" selfishness does rub me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong. I love Western games as much as Japanese(Eastern) games, but I love them for what they are. My taste is varied, and I have a wide assortment of likes. It's like going to an all you can eat buffet and discovering they are only serving hamburgers. Maybe that day, I want to eat some Chinese noodles, or grilled fish. The choices should be available so anybody and everybody could satisfy their wants and needs. The limited selection becomes, the more contempt grows, the chance that the blind sheep will open their eyes and become wise to it increases. The larger you build your tower, the more likely it is to fall, and the higher you build it, the harder it falls. Is it going to take a second video game crash for studios to open their eyes?

As far as I'm concerned, so be it. I think if it results in a careful evaluation of the state of gaming, reflection and a sense of humility, let it happen.

This. Err, well, up until it started getting wierd at the end. Is it just me, or does every rant fall apart the moment the word "sheep" is used?

It really does baffle me, however, that people accuse "JRPGs" (which doesn't even have a consistent meaning from person to person) of being one of the most stagnant genres. I can't remember the last RPG from Japan I played this decade that had a battle system that was the same as any game before it, except for a few SRPGs which, as we've seen, are often accused of not being JRPGs. It seems they're constantly trying to reinvent the wheel, with either positive response (Tales of Graces) or negative (FFXIII). I just... Have the people who say this not played a single RPG since the SNES or PS1 era?
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#66ZvolTxPosted 2/2/2013 4:45:46 PM
Westernizing their franchises might not be the best option (outside of Zelda and Metroid, which work very well with higher Western influence), but them having new IPs that are Western from the ground up, is a great idea.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
http://i50.tinypic.com/344dpwn.jpg
#67omniryuPosted 2/2/2013 4:49:54 PM
BTW, mass effect > final fantasy 13
---
#68omniryuPosted 2/2/2013 4:54:35 PM
ZvoLtx posted...
Westernizing their franchises might not be the best option (outside of Zelda and Metroid, which work very well with higher Western influence), but them having new IPs that are Western from the ground up, is a great idea.

Zelda is a title that if it is goes for a realistically art style the main story and presentation should be done the western developer. And all fun quirky stuff and character like the bomb guy or tingle. Should be done by the eastern. It should have mix dungeon developers. Which is why I want Zelda to be co develop by team Zelda and a good western company. To keep something new and something old. I still believe it should have DLC, but the way I envision it.
---
#69ZvolTxPosted 2/2/2013 4:56:57 PM
omniryu posted...
ZvoLtx posted...

Zelda is a title that if it is goes for a realistically art style the main story and presentation should be done the western developer. And all fun quirky stuff and character like the bomb guy or tingle. Should be done by the eastern. It should have mix dungeon developers. Which is why I want Zelda to be co develop by team Zelda and a good western company. To keep something new and something old. I still believe it should have DLC, but the way I envision it.

Sounds good to me (I think I was one of your main supporters in your thread about DLC in Zelda)
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
http://i50.tinypic.com/344dpwn.jpg
#70omniryuPosted 2/2/2013 4:58:39 PM
ZvoLtx posted...
omniryu posted...
ZvoLtx posted...

Sounds good to me (I think I was one of your main supporters in your thread about DLC in Zelda)

Yea, a lot of people skipped everything and just basically squirt milk out of their nose and just stared laughing.
---