If the PS4/720's price point is above $400....

#1Virus66Posted 2/1/2013 7:31:49 PM
Do you think this would help to drive Wii U sales at all? I constantly hear about how $350 is too expensive for a console considering smartphones and tablets and blah blah blah, but what if the other next gen consoles launch at a much higher price point? Say, $500?

As much as I would expect the same crowd to throw a royal tantrum at the notion of a $500 console, I really think they won't think twice about it. While the weekend gamer might see it as an opportunity, I don't foresee too many gamers in the core group of each console abandoning ship because of the price point. How many PS/Xbox gamers do you know that would give up the PS for a Wii U because of the price? I think more people would be inclined to just give up gaming than switch brands. That's how stubborn some gamers can be.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#2AwayFromHerePosted 2/1/2013 7:32:53 PM
No.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#3zfstarkPosted 2/1/2013 7:33:51 PM
AwayFromHere posted...
No.

lol its not like Sony didn't experienced this first hand with the PS3.
---
This doesn't look like an accident...
#4LifelessBoyPosted 2/1/2013 7:36:34 PM
With the hardware they will be using the price point could easily be $400.

It won't be an issue.
---
http://bf3stats.com/stats_360/YFAL%20Putipuelko
Don't flame me bro. GT: YFAL Putipuelko - PSN: LifelessLoser - Steam ID: YFAL_Putipuelko
#51shadetail1Posted 2/1/2013 7:43:01 PM
Virus66 posted...
That's how stubborn some gamers can be.

Seven-to-eight years ago, I saw hordes of Sony gamers confidently bragging that the PS3 was going to utterly destroy the competition, and that Sony would remain in first place as they had been with the PS1 and PS2.

We all remember how that worked out. The vast majority of those Sony gamers abandoned Sony pretty quickly when Mr. $600 was released. It took the PS3 years to really get up to speed after that debacle.

The truth is that gamers like to talk tough, but the vast majority will abandon a platform for a better deal in a heartbeat. And really, that's how it should be. We ought to be smart shoppers, not company loyalists.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#6diggyfreshPosted 2/1/2013 7:47:30 PM
the thing that will drive wii u sales is a killer app.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#7Virus66(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 7:49:54 PM
1shadetail1 posted...
Virus66 posted...
That's how stubborn some gamers can be.

Seven-to-eight years ago, I saw hordes of Sony gamers confidently bragging that the PS3 was going to utterly destroy the competition, and that Sony would remain in first place as they had been with the PS1 and PS2.

We all remember how that worked out. The vast majority of those Sony gamers abandoned Sony pretty quickly when Mr. $600 was released. It took the PS3 years to really get up to speed after that debacle.

The truth is that gamers like to talk tough, but the vast majority will abandon a platform for a better deal in a heartbeat. And really, that's how it should be. We ought to be smart shoppers, not company loyalists.

As much as I would like to believe that, I don't see that happening to the vast majority. It's true that even in every day life, people avoid a company name just because of a stigma attached to it, even if it isn't true. It happens in all facets of life... vehicles, electronics, sports, toys... everything. How many people don't ever buy a Ford because a Dodge "eats a chevy and s***s a ford?". How many people do you hear that never bought Mega Blocks for their kids and only buy Lego, despite them being pretty much the same thing? The same type of people avoid Nintendo because it's for kids while the Xbox is for the adults. The same people hate the Redwings solely because they happen to be Blackwings fans. It happens everywhere. Only a small majority of people break from that tradition
---
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#8ShadowSkill11Posted 2/1/2013 7:52:51 PM
If the PS4 cost $500 it would take me almost two days at work to earn that much money.

Damn...

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing it. But damn...
#9Virus66(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 7:58:37 PM(edited)
ShadowSkill11 posted...
If the PS4 cost $500 it would take me almost two days at work to earn that much money.

Damn...

Well, aren't you mister moneybags raking in 2000 bucks a week? You do realize that most people don't make that much money, don't you? I work 40 hours a week at 8 bucks an hour because that's all thats available where I live in Michigan and I pull in about $500 every two weeks.
---
#10ShadowSkill11Posted 2/1/2013 8:01:56 PM(edited)
Virus66 posted...
ShadowSkill11 posted...

Damn...

Well, aren't you mister moneybags. You do realize that most people don't make that much money, don't you? I work 40 hours a week at 8 bucks an hour because that's all thats available in Michigan and I pull in about $500 every two weeks.

Okay. Next life pay attention in high school and join the military or go to college for a career. $60K isn't that much money.

Speaking of high school grades. How do you figure making about $500 in two days equals $2000 in a 40 hr work week?