So who started "If it doesn't have an RPG, then it's bad" crap?

#31OzzieArcanePosted 2/1/2013 9:07:11 PM
ADHDguitar posted...
robinhoek posted...
ADHDguitar posted...
robinhoek posted...
What's with the Skyrim hate?

It's just a counter-reaction to all the jRPG hate.

It's shocking how some people can't enjoy more than one type of RPG.

Yeah. I will say though that I am frustrated that the only thing considered an RPG nowadays are action games with superficial RPG elements. (See: Mass Effect)

Mass Effect is considered an RPG because it sets itself far enough apart from shooters that most normal shooter fans will not like it. They will be like "Aw man, what's with all this talking. I need to pwn noobs. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE IS NO DEATH MATCH?!"

Really it's hard to say it really fits into either category but it's labeled an RPG because of the way it tells it's story. Because when it comes down to it RPG means Role Playing Game, not Role Playing Turn Based with tons of little stats that you only see in RPGs game. Just because RPGs have used a specific type of gameplay for so long does not mean that is the only gameplay type they are allowed to have.

There are tons of games that you could argue don't really fit the genre label they've been given. I could argue that Bioshock is survival horror. It certainly fits the description more the Resident Evil has this past gen.
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com
#32AwayFromHerePosted 2/1/2013 9:11:53 PM
The true RPG is a western creation whether you like it or not.

All video game RPGs evolved from Dungeons and Dragons, which itself has many, many variations, including adaptions that have, SHOCK, guns!
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#33OzzieArcanePosted 2/1/2013 9:15:11 PM
Or ya know competing pen and paper RPGs like Shadowrun.

There are tons of different types of RPGs. Most people don't bother to think about that when they try to level an argument against something being an RPG. Mass Effect is an action RPG. Just like how Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea are still RPGs even though they play vastly different from your usual RPG, which is why they're considered Strategy RPGs.
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com
#34robinhoekPosted 2/1/2013 9:38:39 PM
MerisYaki posted...
robinhoek posted...
What's with the Skyrim hate?

Maybe some people don't like sloppy bug infested games? Just a thought.

It's been a long time since I've played a game without some bad bug in it and most don't have the scope of Skyrim.
#35SSJ4CHRISPosted 2/1/2013 9:47:31 PM
EnVy_CaLiBeR posted...
Virus66 posted...
EnVy_CaLiBeR posted...
Who said that?

Skyrim was horrible but it didn't ruin an entire genre.

Several GOTY awards and nearly universal acclaim by gamers and critics alike say it's good.

So it's good because other people say so? Must be a fact then.

If you've ever recommended a game to a friend, then you want them to think it's good because YOU say so. God, do you even understand the dumbass things you type? You made you own post invalid with the same sentence meant to defend it.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#36EnVy_CaLiBeRPosted 2/2/2013 3:19:59 AM
SSJ4CHRIS posted...
EnVy_CaLiBeR posted...
Virus66 posted...
EnVy_CaLiBeR posted...
Who said that?

Several GOTY awards and nearly universal acclaim by gamers and critics alike say it's good.

If you've ever recommended a game to a friend, then you want them to think it's good because YOU say so. God, do you even understand the dumbass things you type? You made you own post invalid with the same sentence meant to defend it.

The point was that he tried to combat a personal opinion that I have about a game with the opinions of others as if it was going to change how I felt about a game that I've already played in the first place. Do you understand the dumb ass things that YOU type?
---
(NNID/PSN): EnVy_CaLiBeR (GT): EnVyXCaLIBeR (3DS): 2895-6776-7223
Now playing: RE: Revelations, AC3, Ninja Gaiden 3, Black Ops II, Trine 2, Walking Dead
#37EvrayPosted 2/2/2013 3:31:25 AM
EnVy_CaLiBeR posted...
SSJ4CHRIS posted...
EnVy_CaLiBeR posted...
Virus66 posted...
EnVy_CaLiBeR posted...
Who said that?

The point was that he tried to combat a personal opinion that I have about a game with the opinions of others as if it was going to change how I felt about a game that I've already played in the first place. Do you understand the dumb ass things that YOU type?

The point he was trying to make is that the majority of people like the game. Sure in this sense the majority opinion doesn't matter, but any moron would have to acknowledge its acclaim regardless of their own opinion. Otherwise your being pointlessly ignorant which is exactly what you are doing. Which is also known as trolling.

It may not matter to you that the majority loves Skyrim, but if the majority suddenly decided you needed to be shot in the face you'd start caring when people come mowing down your doors.

Science = fact. If 99% of people love skyrim, and your in the 1% minority then that is a simple math equation. The amount of people that like Skyrim is greater than those that do not, thus anyone who took second grade math could figure that for people who have never played Skyrim would most likely enjoy the game because that is how statistics work.

Is that really so hard to figure out? Jesus how stupid are you?
---
If the Giants win I'll close my account. Promise. Super Bowl 2012- Erik P 2/5/2012 at 3:31:41 PM. Account Status, Active.
#38EnVy_CaLiBeRPosted 2/2/2013 3:46:30 AM
Like you said, in this scenario majority opinion does NOT matter. I stated a game was garbage which was an obvious opinion. I'm very well aware that there are quite a few fans of Skyrim but that doesn't suddenly mean my opinion is invalid or that it's going to change because of it. You could tell me that I'm the only person in the world that does not like Skyrim but that doesn't make my opinion invalid. It just means that I'm the only person in the world that does not like Skyrim. Deal with it.
---
(NNID/PSN): EnVy_CaLiBeR (GT): EnVyXCaLIBeR (3DS): 2895-6776-7223
Now playing: RE: Revelations, AC3, Ninja Gaiden 3, Black Ops II, Trine 2, Walking Dead
#39Emerald_MeliosPosted 2/6/2013 3:19:54 PM
AwayFromHere posted...
The true RPG is a western creation whether you like it or not.

All video game RPGs evolved from Dungeons and Dragons, which itself has many, many variations, including adaptions that have, SHOCK, guns!

And ironically, the ones closest to the original computer RPGs are certain JRPGs like SMT and Etrian Odyssey (right down to first-person grid dungeon crawling). In fact, Etrian Odyssey was conceived as a huge throwback to old-school cRPGs.

So if you think about it, the Japanese are like a devoted step-mother who still properly raises the genre, while its real parents ran off with some soldiers on leave.