Game pad has *massive* potential

#1venommanPosted 2/1/2013 9:00:26 PM
I bought a Wii U (deluxe) recently and I've been very impressed so far. The graphics are extremely sharp and the frame rate is smooth. The interface is fluid and accessible, though I feel the load times in the OS are a little long given the system specs.

But what I'm most amazed by is the game pad. For a device that I blindly criticized for being large, unwieldy, and gimmicky, I find it to truly be comfortable, functional, and practical. My position on it has been so completely reversed that I'm offended by my previous misjudgment.

However, I see a definitive lack of creativity in the *usage* of the game pad. Much of it's use is delegated to either mirroring what is shown on the TV already, or handling meager tasks of inventory management or mini-maps. There is so much more potential for it to be integrated into gameplay, and not just another screen to look it.

For example, Apache: Air Assault is a fairly realistic flight simulator for 360/PS3 that is based on the AH-64 Apache helicopter. For those that don't know, the Apache mounts a 30mm chain gun that can be slaved to the gunner's helmet. During game play, the AI gunner would automatically acquire and fire on targets but you could also manually take control at your discretion. If I made that game for Wii U, I would keep the normal gameplay environment being projected on the TV, but with the gamepad always slaved to the 30mm gun cam. So while the AI had control, you could watch him identify and eliminate targets as he saw them. But if you hit B to take manual control of the weapon, the motion controls would take over for the gun cam but the normal environment on the TV would *not have to change* This means that you could still maneuver the aircraft with the sticks AND have manual control over the 30mm.

That's just one example. I could probably think of 4 or 5 more pretty easily. I'll come back tomorrow with a few more.
---
The 1954 sci-fi classic "Godzilla" is actually a dramatic re-enactment of the first time Chuck Norris visited Japan.
#2LifelessBoyPosted 2/1/2013 9:06:38 PM
I agree. They could do so much more than what is being done now.

Sadly, it will just become the menu/inventory screen for most games.
---
http://bf3stats.com/stats_360/YFAL%20Putipuelko
Don't flame me bro. GT: YFAL Putipuelko - PSN: LifelessLoser - Steam ID: YFAL_Putipuelko
#3SoeroahPosted 2/1/2013 9:40:03 PM
I just want a game with time travel or dimension hopping or something where you can use the Gamepad as a 'lens of truth' that allows you to see into another time period/dimension or that sort of thing.

Come across some ruins in the game, hold the 'Pad up to the screen and see what it was like new.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#4diggyfreshPosted 2/1/2013 10:12:28 PM
Soeroah posted...
I just want a game with time travel or dimension hopping or something where you can use the Gamepad as a 'lens of truth' that allows you to see into another time period/dimension or that sort of thing.

Come across some ruins in the game, hold the 'Pad up to the screen and see what it was like new.

that would be cool.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#5fresh112151Posted 2/1/2013 10:19:24 PM
Soeroah posted...

I was hoping for a game like this as I bought the system at launch..like a legacy of kain soul reavor type of game
---
PS360U
#6SocranPosted 2/1/2013 10:25:34 PM
venomman posted...
However, I see a definitive lack of creativity in the *usage* of the game pad. Much of it's use is delegated to either mirroring what is shown on the TV already, or handling meager tasks of inventory management or mini-maps. There is so much more potential for it to be integrated into gameplay, and not just another screen to look it.

I actually think this mentality among developers is what's holding them back more than anything. Unless they're just lying about having this mentality because they don't want to say "Not enough people would buy our games on it."

While finding creative uses for the Gamepad is great and all, it should not be underestimated for its ability to improve on "standard" gaming, and devs should not pass up on the system because they would feel the need to do more. Simply having that second screen does more for a game than I feel any graphical leap in the past two generations ever has. I mean, if you think about it, not every game would be automatically better with motion controls, but the vast majority of games have you go into "another screen" for some reason or another. And how cluttered do the UIs in modern games tend to be? Granted, there will still be some things like health and such which are better off on the screen, but minimizing the time you need to be "taken out of the action" is huge.

But yes, if a game could make use of other features, sure, go for it. Just don't let it hold you back.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#7WideAwakePosted 2/1/2013 10:26:49 PM
Some developers want to make the same game across platforms, they don't want the extra work of a new controller for any 'definitive' version
---
NN: WideAwake5
#8Love-WilcoxPosted 2/2/2013 12:45:11 AM
Say what you want about Zombie U but I think that game makes pretty good use of the gamepad. While scanning the environment isn't anything new it feels fresh and intuitive on the pad and I love love love(!) having to watch your back when looking through your inventory.

Hopefully that is only a taste of what's to come.
---
Flow: 68
PSN: Love-Wilcox