Good or bad that Gamestop is closing? Wii U/3DS offers digital download

#1Sharky8Posted 2/2/2013 9:17:34 AM
As video games are available in digital version, who needs Gamestop?

is it a good or bad thing that Gamestop is suffering?

> Forecast store closings: 500 to 600
> Number of U.S. stores: 4,471
> One-year stock performance: -2.2%

In November, just as the holiday season was in full swing, GameStop Corp. (GME) announced it would close 200 stores in 2013. The video game retailer, hurt by growth in mobile gaming at the expense of console gaming platforms, had a 4.6% year-over-year decrease in revenue, as well as a 4.4% decline in comparable-store sales over the nine-week holiday period. For the third quarter of 2012, the most recent quarterly release, gross profits fell at GameStopís three core product segments: new hardware, new software and used products.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/eight-retailers-that-will-close-the-most-stores-173320796.html
#2KAMMYqueenPosted 2/2/2013 9:21:08 AM
it bad for me i like buying retail games. i only download games that are download only
---
KAMMY KOOPA and baby kammy koopa for Super Smash Bros
U
#3nickvd8Posted 2/2/2013 9:22:45 AM
I prefer physical copies but I could do without Gamestop. I get almost all my games from Amazon or Newegg. Unless Gamestop has an exclusive like Xenoblade or a really sweet pre-order bonus then I don't buy there.
---
Sign this
www.tinyurl.com/timesplittersHD
#4Ryan SiPosted 2/2/2013 9:22:49 AM
I buy all my games online at cheaper prices and in better shape so I couldn't care less.
---
Most Wanted: Bit.Trip Runner 2 (PC), Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) Final Fantasy X HD (PS3)
#5wingo84Posted 2/2/2013 9:26:36 AM
The high-street itself is dying... especially in UK. We just saw the loss of HMV and other big branded businesses

What will thrive are internet retailers, not necessarily digital downloads. We need retailers for competitive prices and those online offer the cheapest overall.
---
NNID - Wingo84
Currently playing: Darksiders 2, ZombiU Survival
#6SegavsCapcomPosted 2/2/2013 9:29:17 AM
KAMMYqueen posted...
it bad for me i like buying retail games. i only download games that are download only

This.

Retail games give me a sense of accomplishment, like I actually own something. Digital copies just doesn't have the same effect with me.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
#7Tsutarja495Posted 2/2/2013 9:31:47 AM
I don't like it, I go retail only when possible. As far as Gamestop specifically, while I don't like their stickers on the cases, I really like their selection of last gen games at cheap prices as well as their pre-order bonuses. If they go under, I guess I will move on to Wal-Mart for new games.
#8Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 9:38:04 AM
Well, they're not going under. I think they will do just fine. But the day when you can find a Gamestop in every mall or strip mall is about to end.
#9PeteyParkerPosted 2/2/2013 9:44:42 AM
There's a Gamestop literally 2 minutes from my house. Considering I've got like 6 Gamestop stores in the general area I imagine a few of them might close. I just hope it isn't that one. The staff there is pretty nice and I've never had any issues.
---
"How can.. the Prime minister.. support a law.. that makes it illegal for people.. who....What I'm trying to say is.. Oasis rules!"
#10Maxx_the_SlashPosted 2/2/2013 9:45:08 AM
Sharky8 posted...
As video games are available in digital version, who needs Gamestop?

is it a good or bad thing that Gamestop is suffering?

> Forecast store closings: 500 to 600
> Number of U.S. stores: 4,471
> One-year stock performance: -2.2%

In November, just as the holiday season was in full swing, GameStop Corp. (GME) announced it would close 200 stores in 2013. The video game retailer, hurt by growth in mobile gaming at the expense of console gaming platforms, had a 4.6% year-over-year decrease in revenue, as well as a 4.4% decline in comparable-store sales over the nine-week holiday period. For the third quarter of 2012, the most recent quarterly release, gross profits fell at GameStopís three core product segments: new hardware, new software and used products.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/eight-retailers-that-will-close-the-most-stores-173320796.html

Misleading title. GameStop suffering =/= GameStop closing.
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984 | Wii U: Maxx_the_Slash