Nintendo FPS?

#31Villain_S_FiendPosted 2/2/2013 1:20:04 PM(edited)
In Mirror's Edge, you have a First Person view and you can walk around and shoot things. Is it an FPS?

This is irrelevant, as you're trying to use Mirror's Edge to argue in a roundabout way that Metroid Prime "kind of isn't really an FPS, kind of". The problem is, Mirror's Edge and Metroid Prime aren't alike. You can't stretch the logic behind categorizing Mirror's Edge to Metroid Prime.

If you want to make a point of defending MP from the dreaded FPS label, you need to come up for reasons that deal with MP specifically. You can't do it using another game.

Huh. Kinda like Metroid Prime.

You say this in response to "barely any shooting invloved". What Metroid game have you been playing? You're trying too hard.
---
"To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition."
#32Mirror_AuraPosted 2/2/2013 1:21:07 PM
From: Villain_S_Fiend | Posted: 2/2/2013 3:17:58 PM | #031
In Mirror's Edge, you have a First Person view and you can walk around and shoot things. Is it an FPS?

This is irrelevant, as you're trying to use Mirror's Edge to argue in a roundabout way that Metroid Prime "kind of isn't really an FPS, kind of". The problem is, Mirror's Edge and Metroid Prime aren't alike. You can't stretch the logic behind categorizing Mirror's Edge to Metroid Prime.

If you want to make a point of defending MP from the dreaded FPS label, you need to come up for reasons that deal with MP specifically. You can't do it using another game.

Are you sure you aren't a fan of Yu Yu Hakusho...?
---
The most powerful army, in, HISTORY.
YAAAAAAYYYYY.
#33Villain_S_FiendPosted 2/2/2013 1:22:44 PM
Are you sure you aren't a fan of Yu Yu Hakusho...?

Huh? I have no idea where that question came from. Check my username. You may have me confused for someone else. >_>
---
"To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition."
#34sonicsonic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 1:22:56 PM
Mirror_Aura posted...
Yeah, Metroid Prime falls under the umbrella of FPS, but is by no means a typical FPS like I was suggesting in my OP.

But your OP was flawed. You want them to make an original FPS, but if they do, you'll just call it something else. That's why no one cared that you think Metroid Prime isn't an FPS (especially considering, you know, it *is* an FPS).

"Umbrella" is just boring semantics. You tried to call MP an "FPP" or "FPA" in your OP. Another original FPS would just get the same label by you.

You can make a game incredibly similar to existing genres, but still give it a fresh feel. Look at Xenoblade, looks and plays just like any other JRPG, but it made a lot of adjustments that have benefited the genre without making it feel like a different genre.

My point about the FPS category being an umbrella might be boring, but is relevant. Is SSB and Street Fighter the same genre? (for the fourth bloody time). Mario games are platformers, but is Super Mario Galaxy the same as NSMBU ? People normally refer to them as 3D platformers and 2D platformers respectively.
#35DTY3Posted 2/2/2013 1:24:28 PM
Villain_S_Fiend posted...

You say this in response to "barely any shooting invloved". What Metroid game have you been playing? You're trying too hard.

It isnt irrelevant. And you still fail to answer my question.

My point is if you classify an FPS as "a gaem ware yoo walk and shoot" then your logic is flawed, as you can do that in Mirror's Edge.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#36MC_Brian1Posted 2/2/2013 1:26:12 PM
It is relevant, because the argument here is that "it's in the first person and you shoot things so it's an FPS", so if MP is an FPS, so is Mirror's Edge. And yet nobody will say Mirror's Edge is an FPS. Similarly, would you say Skyrim is an FPS because you can play the entire game only using magic or arrows?

Speaking literally, yes, MP is an FPS. But then that means Mario Party is an RPG because it's a game in which you play a role. Metroid Prime has absolutely nothing in common with other first person shooters such as Call of Duty. Its primary focus is exploration and atmosphere, and besides, no FPS would have such an unorthodox control scheme. It's an adventure game the same way Zelda is.
---
Will Nuketown be like the McRib? - PatrickEwing
I hope not. I hate explosive diarrhea. - BadDecisions
#37Villain_S_FiendPosted 2/2/2013 1:30:15 PM
It isnt irrelevant. And you still fail to answer my question.

My point is if you classify an FPS as "a gaem ware yoo walk and shoot" then your logic is flawed, as you can do that in Mirror's Edge.

It is irrelevant, because this is about Metroid Prime, not Mirror's Edge. You're wanting someone to engage you in a debate about ME in the hopes that you'll win that argument and then continue that logic to MP, but it doesn't work that way. You can't defend MP from FPS by ignoring the strong FPS elements in the game and then using a different game to argue your point, simply because it gives you a stronger argument than the first game does.

I'm not interested in answering your question about ME, mostly because I don't completely disagree with you about it. It's not a game I'd really comfortably classify as FPS myself... but Metroid Prime is. MP is not like ME.
---
"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood ... but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."
#38Villain_S_FiendPosted 2/2/2013 1:31:45 PM
if MP is an FPS, so is Mirror's Edge

Incorrect, because again, MP is not like ME.

Similarly, would you say Skyrim is an FPS

Good grief, you people and your horrible logic. That's not similar at all, because Skyrim is nothing like either of those other two.
---
Opposites attract till they become the same.
#39sonicsonic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 1:47:31 PM
Villain_S_Fiend posted...

Well here is my argument for what makes Metroid Prime not an FPS.

It is set in a sandbox environment. Now correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I played Half-Life/2, but whilst they have a large area to explore the whole entire world is not open to go to. Once you get to a certain chapter that's it no going back? (Yes, I know there are a few areas in Prime games that get cut off, but these are typically the opening areas, then the rest of game is set in the sandbox.

Morphball/Jump abilities/ grapple beam are specifically used for exploration. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no other FPS does this. I know you can use vehicles to explore in some FPS games and you get card keys, but Metroid is the only one that has permanent upgrades to the character that let you explore further.

Suit and other permanent upgrades. Majority of FPS games will simply have you pick up new guns and perhaps a health booster. MP encourages you to actively search for missle upgrades, scan artifacts, enemies and landmarks.

There are plenty of other points that can be made, but those are some.
#40P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/2/2013 1:47:55 PM
The Prime games are factually categorized as First Person Adventure games. The primary design element is combat, mainly involving firearms for an FPS.FPA games are similar to point-and-click adventure games, but using a first-person perspective, often featuring limited or no other characters. The Metroid Prime series from Nintendo offered a large exploration component with combat only punctuating certain sequences. FPA is a subgenre of the Graphic Adventure genre while FPS games are a subgenre of the Action genre.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece