Nintendo FPS?

#41DTY3Posted 2/2/2013 1:52:42 PM
Villain_S_Fiend posted...
It isnt irrelevant. And you still fail to answer my question.

My point is if you classify an FPS as "a gaem ware yoo walk and shoot" then your logic is flawed, as you can do that in Mirror's Edge.

It is irrelevant, because this is about Metroid Prime, not Mirror's Edge. You're wanting someone to engage you in a debate about ME in the hopes that you'll win that argument and then continue that logic to MP, but it doesn't work that way. You can't defend MP from FPS by ignoring the strong FPS elements in the game and then using a different game to argue your point, simply because it gives you a stronger argument than the first game does.

I'm not interested in answering your question about ME, mostly because I don't completely disagree with you about it. It's not a game I'd really comfortably classify as FPS myself... but Metroid Prime is. MP is not like ME.

Please learn what relevance is.

It is totally relevant and you know it'd destroy your argument (which is why you still hesitate to answer me.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#42DTY3Posted 2/2/2013 1:54:03 PM
HaRRy_TiPPeR_ posted...
nickvd8 posted...
Nintendo doesn't necessarily need to make an FPS, a publisher just needs to smarten up and agree to publish TimeSplitters 4. Now I say!

oh gawd this....

This. I dont even care if Nintendo buys TS, we just need a TS4.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
#43DTY3Posted 2/2/2013 1:55:36 PM
if MP is an FPS, so is Mirror's Edge

Incorrect, because again, MP is not like ME.

Similarly, would you say Skyrim is an FPS

Good grief, you people and your horrible logic. That's not similar at all, because Skyrim is nothing like either of those other two.

What makes FP mode in Skyrim different from Metroid Prime?
---
#44Villain_S_FiendPosted 2/2/2013 1:59:12 PM
Well here is my argument for what makes Metroid Prime not an FPS.

It is set in a sandbox environment. Now correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I played Half-Life/2, but whilst they have a large area to explore the whole entire world is not open to go to. Once you get to a certain chapter that's it no going back? (Yes, I know there are a few areas in Prime games that get cut off, but these are typically the opening areas, then the rest of game is set in the sandbox.

Morphball/Jump abilities/ grapple beam are specifically used for exploration. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no other FPS does this. I know you can use vehicles to explore in some FPS games and you get card keys, but Metroid is the only one that has permanent upgrades to the character that let you explore further.

Suit and other permanent upgrades. Majority of FPS games will simply have you pick up new guns and perhaps a health booster. MP encourages you to actively search for missle upgrades, scan artifacts, enemies and landmarks.

All fair points, though I think some of those (upgrades and the like) don't take a game out of being an FPS. The ability to explore and armor upgrades wouldn't, at any rate. You do make a good argument for it not being a standard FPS, which I wouldn't argue against, anyway. I'm in full agreement with it being a unique FPS.

The Prime games are factually categorized as First Person Adventure games. The primary design element is combat, mainly involving firearms for an FPS.

Calling it an FPA is probably the best classification, yeah. Not just because of the gameplay itself, which, as you said, has a primary element of combat, but because of the level of exploration and the overall feel of the game. I really can't (and wouldn't) argue against the FPA classification.
---
http://i.imgur.com/q1snL.png
#45Villain_S_FiendPosted 2/2/2013 2:06:04 PM(edited)

"Metroid Prime isn't an FPS. Let me illustrate this by focusing my points and argument solely on Mirror's Edge, a wholly unrelated game."

You first.

It is totally relevant and you know it'd destroy your argument (which is why you still hesitate to answer me.

I told you precisely why I'm not interested in debating you on Mirror's Edge. You even quoted that part of my post (which was a bit surprising, tbh). Get over yourself.

And here you go again, with another dumb "challenge" that you can fall back on in the absence of any substance to your argument.

I have to be honest; I wonder if I'm just being trolled by you.
---
Opposites attract till they become the same.
#46sonicsonic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 2:04:46 PM
As for the ME and Skyrim comparisons... they are completely relevant.

You claim Metroid Prime is a FPS because it is first person and you shoot. Mirror's Edge is the same... as is Skyrim(Depending how you play). Heck you can do a first person view in a few kart games, you shoot weapons at people in kart games... so Diddy Kong Racing can be added to the list of Rare's great N64 FPS games ?
#47DTY3Posted 2/2/2013 2:05:35 PM

"Metroid Prime isn't an FPS. Let me illustrate this by focusing my points and argument solely on Mirror's Edge, a wholly unrelated game."

You first.

I told why I'm not interested in debating you on Mirror's Edge. You even quoted that part of my post (which was a bit surprising, tbh). Get over yourself.

And here you go again, with another dumb "challenge" that you can fall back on in the absence of any substance to your argument.

I have to be honest; I wonder if I'm just being trolled by you.

Okay so you still refuse to answer my questions. Gotcha.
---
#48Villain_S_FiendPosted 2/2/2013 2:07:49 PM
You claim Metroid Prime is a FPS because it is first person and you shoot.

No I didn't.

And you continue to prove my point. Fantastic.
---
My steak was so tough, halfway through my meal it got up and attacked my coffee, and the coffee was too weak to defend itself.
#49sonicsonic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 2:09:38 PM
You claim Metroid Prime is a FPS because it is first person and you shoot.

No I didn't.

And you continue to prove my point. Fantastic.

I'm sorry. I don't think it was you, but some people made the claim. Just the timing of the post made it look like I was aiming it at you... haha. Sorry.
#50DTY3Posted 2/2/2013 2:10:31 PM(edited)
I'll reinforce my point when you answer my question instead of dancing around it.

After all, I asked first.

---