Iwata: Cloud gaming is not the future

#71JackalPosted 2/2/2013 7:48:48 PM
Board_hunter567 posted...
Because cloud gaming will still very likely be a less than optimal gaming experience (input delay, bad image quality and compression, limited play time thanks to ISP data caps) and pretty much be the worst form of DRM you can possibly imagine.

Have you been to the OnLive site? Use the service?
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak
#72TheGrumpyCat(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 11:21:03 AM
bump
---
I had fun once, it was horrible.
#73JackalPosted 2/3/2013 11:26:28 AM
This topic was allowed to slip away because Iwata spoke while drinking. Do you really want to push his nose into the pile?
---
#74Maxx_the_SlashPosted 2/3/2013 11:38:24 AM(edited)
I agree with Iwata. I don't know what these digital and cloud supporters are talking about, but they're completely wrong.

The fact that digital sales are are only a fraction of the overall sales figures of any specific game (except for ones that are digital-only), proves that digital gaming isn't the future, because not nearly enough people want to accept the idea that they wont be able to sell their games off when they stop liking them, and they don't like not having a physical piece of property that they control. Why do you think Germans are suing Valve because Steam doesn't allow them to sell off the digital games they buy? http://www.gamespot.com/news/german-group-sues-valve-6403307 They're pissed off! They can't get rid of games they buy on Steam. Digital is terrible.

Cloud gaming has some of those issues, but it also creates new ones. With cloud gaming, the console developers control the games. If the console's successor comes out, they stop supporting the previous one and start supporting the new one. That means we'd be stuck with a paperweight that used to be a game console. Reduced to paperweight status because all the games the player bought were stored on a cloud in servers that's been shut down to make room for the new console's servers.

When people realize their console could end up reduced to worthlessness, they'll refuse to buy them anymore. Cloud gaming is a big ****ing mistake.
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984 | Wii U: Maxx_the_Slash
#75JackalPosted 2/3/2013 11:51:32 AM
Not everyone has a high speed internet connection. Media based games will be around for that reason. Just like movie disc.
---
#76ORANGE666Posted 2/3/2013 12:17:28 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
ORANGE666 posted...
KroganBallEater posted...
Iwata 2006: Online Gaming and HD gaming are not the future.

Present: they ****ing are.

He said something more in lines of "gamers don't want online" and "HD will not take off".

Remember that Nintendo is only a software company, they aren't in control or in the know of what major companies are doing. Like for what he says about cloud gaming, he has no idea what direction its heading in or hows its improving because once again, Nintendo is just a simple gaming company. They don't know anything or contribute improvements.

No, he said Online wasn't profitable in 2002 and HD wasn't prominent at the Wii's launch.

No, he said gamers don't want online, HD won't take off, blueray won't be a standard.
#77Enigma149Posted 2/3/2013 12:22:09 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
ORANGE666 posted...
KroganBallEater posted...
Iwata 2006: Online Gaming and HD gaming are not the future.

Present: they ****ing are.

He said something more in lines of "gamers don't want online" and "HD will not take off".

Remember that Nintendo is only a software company, they aren't in control or in the know of what major companies are doing. Like for what he says about cloud gaming, he has no idea what direction its heading in or hows its improving because once again, Nintendo is just a simple gaming company. They don't know anything or contribute improvements.

No, he said Online wasn't profitable in 2002 and HD wasn't prominent at the Wii's launch.

No, he said gamers don't want online, HD won't take off, blueray won't be a standard.

Actually, he said this:

"At the moment, most customers do not wish to pay the extra money for connection to the Internet, and for some customers, connection procedures to the Internet are still not easy."

And followed it up with:

"Online technology has its own interesting features, so I donít rule out the possibility of making use of it for games."

Now, were some of his other comments wrong? Yes, but everyone's been wrong...and unlike Iwata's 2004 comment, I'm pretty sure that most of us will agree that cloud gaming is not the future - or, at least, won't be for a very long time.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#78SuperNESGamerPosted 2/3/2013 12:27:36 PM
The Internet is too tied up with console gaming right now as it is. If they start making consoles where games require an Internet connection to CONSTANTLY be on, I and a lot of other people will be gone.
#79BuretsuPosted 2/3/2013 12:29:28 PM
ORANGE666 posted...

"Online technology has its own interesting features, so I donít rule out the possibility of making use of it for games." -Satoru Iwata (July, 2004)

"If we have an opportunity to make a new console, it will probably support HD because it is now common throughout the world. However, as far as the Wii is concerned, we have not found a significant reason to make it HD-compatible at this time. What is the significant meaning to users? I don't think we should do it unless we find that reason. If we decide for other reasons to make new hardware, then HD is one of the things we would naturally add" - Satoru Iwata (June, 2009)

Can't find anything where he says that Blu-Ray won't be a standard, just that he didn't want to increase the costs of the Wii U by including Blu-Ray playback, pretty much since people who want Blu-Ray already have players for it.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#80ORANGE666Posted 2/3/2013 12:47:51 PM
Enigma149 posted...

Actually, he said this:

"At the moment, most customers do not wish to pay the extra money for connection to the Internet, and for some customers, connection procedures to the Internet are still not easy."

And followed it up with:

"Online technology has its own interesting features, so I donít rule out the possibility of making use of it for games."

Now, were some of his other comments wrong? Yes, but everyone's been wrong...and unlike Iwata's 2004 comment, I'm pretty sure that most of us will agree that cloud gaming is not the future - or, at least, won't be for a very long time.

Nope

Linetrix posted...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news050704iwatacomments

"Iwata presented sales figures for a PS2 online golf title which failed to match the sales of its offline predecessor (Sony's own Minna no Golf / Everybody's Golf titles, released in the west as Hot Shots Golf) as 'proof that customers do not want online games.'"