Iwata: Cloud gaming is not the future

#91_Sovereign_Posted 2/3/2013 3:22:04 PM
Jackal posted...
Board_hunter567 posted...
Because cloud gaming will still very likely be a less than optimal gaming experience (input delay, bad image quality and compression, limited play time thanks to ISP data caps) and pretty much be the worst form of DRM you can possibly imagine.

Have you been to the OnLive site? Use the service?

I have and it was horrible. You don't own the games you paid full price for, and that they can pull any game on the service at any time to make room for new additions, the lag.....of course though this was during their initial beta and launch of the program ( I did something and got a free year after launch.....used it maybe 3 months before deleting my info and uninstalling)
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#92IcecreamdunwichPosted 2/3/2013 3:30:29 PM
Cloud Gaming works fine if you have good Internet.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#93Jinzo 111887Posted 2/3/2013 4:04:36 PM
Cloud Gaming works fine if you have good Internet.

What about games getting removed like the Donkey Kong Country trilogy and Second Sight? You would lose your purchase, right?
---
At least Nintendo and Good Old Games are treating customers right instead of taking them for granted. They provide light during dark times.
#94Enigma149Posted 2/3/2013 4:09:34 PM
Jx1010 posted...
Cloud storage is overrated

It just lets ''others'' control ur own data
Just save ur own stuff and hold on to you, whats urs

But this isn't "cloud storage". This is "cloud gaming".

Cloud storage will, eventually, become mainstream, probably within the next decade. Cloud gaming, on the other hand, is unlikely to take off for a while, if ever.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#95JackalPosted 2/3/2013 4:31:17 PM
_Sovereign_ posted...
Jackal posted...
Board_hunter567 posted...
Because cloud gaming will still very likely be a less than optimal gaming experience (input delay, bad image quality and compression, limited play time thanks to ISP data caps) and pretty much be the worst form of DRM you can possibly imagine.

Have you been to the OnLive site? Use the service?

I have and it was horrible. You don't own the games you paid full price for, and that they can pull any game on the service at any time to make room for new additions, the lag.....of course though this was during their initial beta and launch of the program ( I did something and got a free year after launch.....used it maybe 3 months before deleting my info and uninstalling)

Yes, they can remove them. And like I said about the beginning of Netflix streaming, it was bad but it did get better. The service started in, what, 2009? Have you tried it lately? What kind of internet connection did you have then and do you have now? Computer specs?
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak
#96P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/3/2013 5:09:20 PM
There's a huge difference between Netflix and cloud gaming.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece
#97ADHDguitarPosted 2/3/2013 5:11:54 PM
Cloud gaming is the future, but that's not a good thing.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#98JackalPosted 2/3/2013 5:21:22 PM(edited)
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
There's a huge difference between Netflix and cloud gaming.

Yes, there is. But the thing is, they started bad and the kinks were worked out. If Nintendo used a Cloud based distribution service then you would be able to play your games at home or where ever you can get a connection on your devices. Then continue playing once you returned home on the console. It could be an optional service. It could be used on your handhelds, smartphones, tablets, etc.

Think of as an advanced Wii U/Gamepad setup but with further range and more devices that could take advantage of the feature. You wouldn't have to carry your Gamepad out in the public but you could still get in some Mario kart before the movie trailers start at the theater. Save and then finish up at home.

If I can see these possibilities and Iwata can't, then he's not trying too. He should retire and make drunken karaoke videos to post on YouTube or something. Then he'd be most entertaining. :)

Oh, he'd have to sing them in English!
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak
#99Newbie00Posted 2/3/2013 5:20:45 PM
Iwata ~2002:

Online gaming is not the future
---
Sokar, Eliot... lay off Tony. I can vouch for him. He's a top lad and a massive PS3 supporter. He's not an enemy here. - SomnusNemoris on the Sony Defense Force
#100arvilinoPosted 2/3/2013 5:21:59 PM
Newbie00 posted...
Iwata ~2002:

Online gaming is not the future

Perhaps he meant the distant future.