Is it normal for the disc drive to be loud?

#1Auction SniperPosted 2/2/2013 1:59:35 PM
Just got one and hooked it up yesterday. The machine was reasonably quiet during the initial setup, but after I popped in a game (NSMBU) and began playing, I found that the disc drive was quite loud.

Is this normal? The only way I could 'fix' it was to hide the Wii U inside my tv cabinet to muffke the sound.
---
I sleep in a racing car, do you?
#2nintendo3000Posted 2/2/2013 2:10:03 PM
yep, wish you could install discs like 360.
---
Karma hit 666 at 9/5/11
Fluttershy is BEST PONY!!!
#3StealthySnakePosted 2/3/2013 7:26:18 PM
Auction Sniper posted...
Just got one and hooked it up yesterday. The machine was reasonably quiet during the initial setup, but after I popped in a game (NSMBU) and began playing, I found that the disc drive was quite loud.

Is this normal? The only way I could 'fix' it was to hide the Wii U inside my tv cabinet to muffke the sound.

Yesss. I have posted about this myself. The Wii U becomes loud due to the disc spinning as soon as you load a disc, irregardless if you are playing the game. Some people have responded saying that it's quiet, but this could be a matter of opinion. I have not had the chance to test out another Wii U, but I'm fairly confident that this is its normal operation disc noise level. I personally find it too loud and believe that they should allow users to install the games to the system as is done for the XBOX 360. We'll have to wait and see. Nintendo would be wise to take this feedback though.
#469bladezPosted 2/3/2013 7:39:21 PM
Buy digital. I never heard it. Bought all 12 games digitally
#5Auction Sniper(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 7:42:10 PM
I guess the only remedy then is to just buy all my games digitally.

I was surprised that the disc spins at a constant rate - even when the game is idle, or when sitting on the WiiU menu - That is sure to reduce the lifespan of the drive mechanism.
---
I sleep in a racing car, do you?
#6StealthySnakePosted 2/3/2013 9:35:20 PM
Buying digitally would good a idea, except for one major issue...
Price: If you take this into consideration in the the least, you'll realize that eshop games can cost twice as much as in retail. For example. Madden 2013 was 29.99 at Target last week, while eshop was still carrying it for 59.99.
I even picked up COD Black Ops 2 for 29.99 at best buy a couple of days ago (not available on eshop).
The sad truth is that I haven't seen one sale like this on eshop (for major games) since I got this system on Christmas.
Also, with a hard copy you have the flexibility of bro to ga game to a friends house and selling to when you're done with it.

Now while buying digitally does have a few advantages that I do like (no need to manually load the disc, SILENT OPERATION) Nintendo needs to recognize the end user's concerns about price and flexibility.

Simply put, lower eshop game prices or allow installati
#7Petey_MeanisPosted 2/4/2013 2:34:53 AM
Loud? My Wii U is practically silent when playing games off discs. Nowhere near as loud as 360 or PS3.
---
Thick, long and meaty.. Kielbasa sausage
http://i.imgur.com/dHMWV.jpg http://i.imgur.com/6s1RR.gif
#869bladezPosted 2/4/2013 3:06:55 AM
Store sales are a problem yeah. I only buy digital games I know I will never get rid of anyway. The digital promotion is pretty good. Gotten maybe 25 bucks for eshop points so far
#9SocranPosted 2/4/2013 5:30:23 AM
It could be a matter of opinion, but as one person said, it is objectively quieter than the PS3 and 360. Is yours louder than those systems? If so, then that's not normal.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#10Rasputin77Posted 2/4/2013 5:35:29 AM
Nothing is wrong with your Wii U, TC - the drive is obnoxiously loud... easily 3x-4x louder than my #-year old PS3 that sits right next to it for easy comparison.

Just something we get to deal with.
---
GameFAQs defintion of 'White Knight': Someone who made you realize you can't handle valid points or honest opinions if they come from certain posters.