Poll: Should Zelda move on to full voice acting?

#171FalosPosted 2/3/2013 3:26:06 PM
Could they do it successfully? Yes. I think they could very well produce a fine VA'd LoZ, and I would look at it and say "This came out nicely." But even after that previous sentence, I don't think they should. Why? Because capability is not a cause. Just because we invent the SNES and can handle ATB and ARPGs doesn't mean we never use turn-based combat again. Use of every possible "feature" at every possible chance in game dev (or elsewhere in life) isn't always the best idea.

Gamers have been watered down and casuals mean dev's higher-ups think lines like "It has to be/have [...] or it won't sell" so I'd like Zelda to hold the line.
---
Ever squish your face on a window? Looks funny. Ever got stuck?
#172AlustarPosted 2/3/2013 3:34:54 PM
Most voice acting in Japanese games is cringe inducing. Good JRPG's I think are ruined by voice acting. The strange Japanese stories and awkward dialogue somehow doesn't seem AS bad when I am simply reading it. Imagine if Ghirahim was fully voiced I would NOT have made it through Skyward Sword. Friggen Navi yelling "hey" is bad enough I don't need her vocally telling me to take a break for fifteen minutes.

Even western games, which fair much better in voice acting run into issues when they have too many characters and not enough voice actors. Skyrim, Fallout, or Oblivion all have voice acting that doesn't make me want to turn the game off but different NPC's repeat the same thing, voiced by the same person all the time, and it takes me out of the experience.

TL, DR: No thanks to voice acting in a Zelda game.
#173Jack_LBPosted 2/3/2013 4:07:59 PM
Link is a young character, if they add a voice to him, would probably choose the most annoying voice of all, and this would decrease the quality of the game
#174lDarkdrakPosted 2/3/2013 4:14:31 PM
One vote for CD-I Link!!! Best lines ever
---
Beware, I live!
#175The_Mighty_KELPPosted 2/3/2013 4:15:17 PM
Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Pikmin, Smash Bros, Pokemon Fire Emblem - all have been best-sellers and extremely high-rated games without voice acting. Why they would add it makes no sense to me.

If I remember correctly, back when Twilight Princess came out, there was an interview with the developers, who were asked this question. They responded that if it's just text to translate, rather than full speech, the game can be successful in more areas and have more widespread appeal. Just look at Midna's language in that game that she speaks - it's cool and unique, and it would've lost something if it had originally been fully voiced. There are also cool things you can do with text that you can't do with voice (and vice versa, of course) regarding timing, font, spelling, color, etc.
---
Jogurt attacks! Inflicts 1 point of damage on the Goblin. Goblin is defeated! Jogurt gains experience.
...it appears that Jogurt's level has increased to 1.
#176Mirror_AuraPosted 2/3/2013 4:30:25 PM
From: The_Mighty_KELP | Posted: 2/3/2013 6:15:17 PM | #175
If I remember correctly, back when Twilight Princess came out, there was an interview with the developers, who were asked this question. They responded that if it's just text to translate, rather than full speech, the game can be successful in more areas and have more widespread appeal.

But that can't be true. Look at how many times they re-used Wind Waker's aesthetic style. And they're even re-releasing it. That game does not have widespread appeal.

Just look at Midna's language in that game that she speaks - it's cool and unique, and it would've lost something if it had originally been fully voiced.

Midna's speech is not cool or unique. In fact, it's annoying. She would re-use the same sounds for completely unrelated texts, or use different sounds for the same text... it had no consistency or logic behind it. It was just noise.

There are also cool things you can do with text that you can't do with voice (and vice versa, of course) regarding timing, font, spelling, color, etc.

Yeah, but Midna and Fi are definitely not cool things... and certainly not something I want to hear more of.
---
The most powerful army, in, HISTORY.
YAAAAAAYYYYY.
#177SkyCrackersPosted 2/3/2013 9:06:36 PM(edited)
I support voice acting in cutscenes, but VA for every little bit of NPC text would get on my nerves a bit. One thing, though, if they're gonna have VA, they need to take away the option to name Link. I don't want every character referring to him with pronouns only, and I hate it when games do that.

And of course, Link should stay silent.
---
Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a hideously underrated game.
#178P00DGEPosted 2/3/2013 9:40:33 PM
SkyCrackers posted...
I support voice acting in cutscenes, but VA for every little bit of NPC text would get on my nerves a bit. One thing, though, if they're gonna have VA, they need to take away the option to name Link. I don't want every character referring to him with pronouns only, and I hate it when games do that.

And of course, Link should stay silent.

I think I would get annoyed quickly if everyone kept calling him Link. Even though that is what I name Link in every game anyway. The direction it seems it would take would be far too Link-centric. The stories are always more about the world, not Link himself. He is often more of an avatar for the player. I would prefer witty nicknames characters would use instead (like "little hero" or something) and titles for more serious parts (like "the hero of time" or something.)
#179RHFPosted 2/4/2013 11:02:09 PM
40Dribylf posted...
Nah...

It's already weird enough people speak through text, and all Link does is scream. Now multiply that if all the characters actually spoke, and Link still just screamed. It just wouldn't make sense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoUAIX40XvA

Tons of games have silent protagonists and fully voiced characters.

If Zelda wants to turn into a ~cinematic~ experience (As shown in TP and SS) it's NEEDS voice acting. It's limiting what could be accomplished.

Keep Link silent, give him a permanent name, and have everyone else talk.

The problem I see from it is with Voice acting, people will complain about how they feel the voices don't match the characters, and if Link is still silent and if everyone else talks, they'd complain why they didn't give Link the voice of whomever screams for him.

Even if Nintendo hires excellent actors to do voice overs, there's always that one jack@ss who'll complain and ruin it for everyone
---
For great justice! And Fruit Pies! *Official #1 supporter for Hsien-ko*
#180Villain_S_FiendPosted 2/5/2013 12:04:38 AM
"If Zelda wants to turn into a ~cinematic~ experience ... it's NEEDS voice acting."

Horse****.
---
http://i.imgur.com/q1snL.png