Naming System WII U was a HUGE error.

#51mjc0961Posted 2/3/2013 8:29:48 AM
Baha05 posted...
Oh yes because it's not like we don't have consoles named the Playstation 2 or Playstation 3.... ohhhhh......

Using a number clearly donates a sequel. Wii 2 would have been far more obvious as a new console than Wii U. Case in point, how many times have people asked if they can play Playstation 3 games on their Playstation 2? Never that I've seen, because the numbers make it fairly obvious that Playstation 3 is a new thing and not an extension. But how many times have people thought they could play 3DS games on the DS or Wi U games on the Wii?

Nintendo is stinking it up in the naming department these days. Going to a completely new name each time, like N64 to GameCube to Wii, makes sense. The names are so different that of course the consoles are different. Using a number makes sense, again pointing out that nobody confuses PS1, PS2, or PS3. Slightly changing the existing console's name, though... Is it no wonder that people think 3DS is just another version of the DS when the previous names for the different types of DS were DS, DS Lite, DSi, and DSi XL? 3DS doesn't stand out from those other names to the average consumer who doesn't follow gaming like we do.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#52Killingjoke_666Posted 2/3/2013 8:35:43 AM
Playstation sounds better than Wii in the first place.
The casual audience might not notice it being a new system.
More knowledgable gamers play Playstation of course theyll know what up when a new console comes up.
TC I agree Wii U sounds redundant and stupid
---
Otto: Wow! I had Mustard?!
#53Hawke0Posted 2/3/2013 8:39:25 AM
In Japan, the the Wii 2 would have been the Wii Nii. 'Nuff said.
(but seriously, I agree Wii U is a stupid name.)
---
Monster Hunter Tri is one of the best Capcom games of this generation.
Of course, that's not saying much.
#54Gogo726Posted 2/3/2013 8:41:00 AM
kuragari1anonly posted...
I was in a gamestop the other day against better judgement.

A kid asked his mom for a Wii U.

Mom replies "Don't you have a Wii already?"

lolmarketing

This story could be interpreted that the kid doesn't need a new console because he still has a perfectly functional, somewhat recent console.
---
Jackass Thompson doesn't approve of Wii Music. He's on a crusade to put an end to sax and violins in games
#55mjc0961Posted 2/3/2013 8:42:27 AM

lolmarketing

And that's it right there. Everyone defending the bad names is completely missing the point. Of course YOU know that Wii U is a new console, you're a "hardcore" gamer who pays attention to that kind of thing. But the name does absolutely jack s*** to let people who haven't got a clue about gaming know that the Wii U is a completely new machine and not just a thing for the Wii. And thus, you get situations like what I quoted above. You get situations where people buy Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask for their kid for Christmas and then get mad when the game doesn't work in their kid's DS Lite or DSi. You get situations where people buy New Super Mario Bros U and then get mad when it doesn't work in their Wii.

Nintendo marking, both with the names themselves and making sure people know that the systems are new, has failed miserably with both the 3DS and the Wii U.

BTW, think it doesn't happen? Just look at the 1 star reviews for those games on Amazon. People make that mistake, and while they are indeed partially to blame, only a fanboy would deny that Nintendo is also partially at fault for creating the confusion in the first place.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#56mjc0961Posted 2/3/2013 8:42:51 AM
Gogo726 posted...

lolmarketing

This story could be interpreted that the kid doesn't need a new console because he still has a perfectly functional, somewhat recent console.

Woosh!
---
#57Gogo726Posted 2/3/2013 9:02:34 AM
I don't understand. I agree that the Wii U should have been named something different. They don't have to abandon the Wii name. But the Game Stop story sounds like the mom could have been telling the kid he doesn't need a new system and that the Wii should be enough.
---
Jackass Thompson doesn't approve of Wii Music. He's on a crusade to put an end to sax and violins in games
#58DynheartPosted 2/3/2013 9:07:14 AM
At first, I thought it was brilliant. Now? If you think about it, it doesn't carry the same idea's as the Wii. The Wiimote's? They are more of a peripheral for the Wii U, than a staple.

They/it worked for the Wii (focused on co-op...the "ii" looking like Wiimotes...the "ii" signifying mutiplayer). The Wii U? It doesn't work. Not only that, it confused a lot of their consumer base.

What was supposed to be a brilliant marketing move, quickly turned into confusion. Not only that, it really doesn't fit the vision of their system like all of their other systems.

NES: Well, it;s the first. They had to start somewhere.
SNES: It's a super version of the original
N64: When the bit wars were at large...N64 (64 bit system) was a great name.
Game Cube: A game console that looked like a cube. Obvious.
Wii: I already explained this one.
Wii U: This one is a question mark. It's like the identity doesn't fit the name...other than it has a Wii emulator in it. But do you really want to sell that?

They should have focused of a bigger/grander version of what they do with the handhelds, which are dual screen. That is, after all, the focus of the console.

It is what it is now. Run with it.
---
Currently suffering Final Fantasy XIII-2
#59darealest47Posted 2/3/2013 9:14:54 AM
Nintendo 128
There you go.
---
won't change this sig until pittsburgh steelers gets their 7th ring
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVPxvaIzec
#60maximumbarmagePosted 2/3/2013 9:16:00 AM
One error among many.
---
"Maybe it would be quicker to list the Wii U multiplatform titles that AREN'T vastly inferior ports..." - SimeonSays