Some Commonly Asked Questions

#1digiblasterPosted 2/3/2013 11:00:30 AM
I've been spending a fair amount of time here these past few months, and I've noticed a lot of the same question tend to pop up from time to time. Hopefully I'll be able to answer a few of them here.

Why are there so few games coming out?

GameFAQs only lists games with confirmed release dates - hence why it appears the Wii U has nothing coming. In actuality, there are a number of games coming this year, including Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, and more.

Are Nintendo milking their franchises?

You could argue that. Four NSMB titles in 6 years seems like a lot. However, it has been explicitly said by Nintendo that they are only making one NSMB game per console. That means that provided they don't go back on their word, we won't be seeing another NSMB game for at least four or five years.

It's normal for Nintendo games to only release one, perhaps two, titles per console anyway. By comparison to other series, it seems excessive, but Nintendo have been around for a lot longer, with some franchises originating over 25 years ago. Granted, Mario appears in so many different games, but these are usually very different to each other. However, Mario is very much the face of Nintendo, and arguably even gaming itself - it's natural that Nintendo would use their mascot frequently.

Should I sell <insert games/console here> for the Wii U?

This is honestly more of a judgement call, but I'd strongly advise against it. Sure, you may not play most of the games now, but in a couple of years you may want to go back to them and you don't have them any more.

As for a console, that'd be a big mistake. The only time I'd say it would be okay to sell one console for another would be if you were selling the original Wii, or something else with full backwards compatibility (say, DS and 3DS). A brand new console will not have many games; the Wii U is no different, so to get rid of a console with access to a huge library of games is a bit stupid.

Will <insert game here> come to the Wii U?

We can't say. There is definitely more third party support than with the Wii, but it remains to be seen as to whether this will continue with the release of the other next-gen consoles. I remain cautiously optimistic at this point, but I'm not holding my breath for every multiplatform third party game ever made.

But nobody is making multiplatform games for the Wii U!

Actually, a number of developers have praised the Wii U, yet they aren't releasing their games on the Wii U. The most common reason given is that they want to be able to use the full functionality of the GamePad, rather than create a straight port. It remains to be seen whether these developers follow through and develop for Wii U, or the same thing happens to it as with the Wii. Don't forget though, games are usually in development for some time before announcement - if they've been working on a game for a length of time before they consider the Wii U as an option, it's not unexpected that they'd give it a miss.

Do I really have to pay to download my old VC games?!

Yes and no. You can move them all for free to the Wii U by system transfer, and play them through Wii mode. On the other hand, you can pay $1/$1.50 per game and play them with the Wii U - this means you'll have the added features of Miiverse and Off-Screen play. If these don't appeal to you, then you don't need to pay for them.

Are Nintendo doomed?

No.

But... But... Sales!

By comparison to the other consoles, the Wii U doesn't appear to be selling well - however, it's selling almost as well as the Wii, and we know how that turned out.

A lot of things can't be dealt with at the moment. It's still very early, and we don't know how things will play out. Just give it time.
#2tigg06Posted 2/3/2013 11:06:12 AM
you list good valid points, and I agree 100% with your views and beleive wii u is still to early in its lifespan for people to be claiming "nintednoomed"

just be prepared for the onslaught of being called a fanboy, one-sided, tunnel vision and all the other sorts from the people who either just wanna cause trouble, trolls and those who just don't like the wii u. (everyone is entitled to their opinions lol)
#3VoelgerPosted 2/3/2013 11:09:07 AM
I love this thread. You make great points
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#4jakestar0306Posted 2/3/2013 11:09:39 AM
I agree (with TC). It's only fair to start complaining about these things if the Wii U still has these same problems after, say, half a year after launch. THEN people can start complaining.
---
Mega Man Powered Up is the best PSP exclusive and you know it.
#5digiblaster(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 3:05:09 PM
I wasn't even trying to combat the trolls with this thread. The bit at the end was a jab at them, but for the most part I was looking at sincere questions people had. I know this thing will probably go largely unnoticed by most since it doesn't have a negative article about Nintendo, but I'll be happy if it proves useful for anybody.
#6Kiro_namiPosted 2/3/2013 4:26:55 PM
bump
---
GameFAQs is like a car crash - you know it's horrible but you just can't turn away.
#7digiblaster(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 9:46:30 AM
I don't want to bump this thread.

Actually, I do.
#8SychinLegacyPosted 2/6/2013 10:02:49 AM
No point in trying to argue logic with the trolls. They will ignore it.
#9Rasputin77Posted 2/6/2013 12:42:09 PM
tigg06 posted...
just be prepared for the onslaught of being called a fanboy, one-sided, tunnel vision and all the other sorts from the people who either just wanna cause trouble, trolls and those who just don't like the wii u.

"Onslaught", huh?

**Scans thread...**

So, was that your reverse psychology? ;D
---
GameFAQs defintion of 'White Knight': Someone who made you realize you can't handle valid points or honest opinions if they come from certain posters.
#10digiblaster(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 4:32:56 AM
Rasputin77 posted...
tigg06 posted...
just be prepared for the onslaught of being called a fanboy, one-sided, tunnel vision and all the other sorts from the people who either just wanna cause trouble, trolls and those who just don't like the wii u.

"Onslaught", huh?

**Scans thread...**

So, was that your reverse psychology? ;D

I don't know what happened. Almost every thread I make gets torn apart... It's no fun this way :(