Anyone else feel naming it the Wii U has killed any chance it has of advertising

#71aPimp_named_leEPosted 2/3/2013 10:16:28 PM
Garfield64 posted...
Baha05 posted...
Garfield64 posted...
She's been gaming sense she was 4-5 with me, the last 25 years.

She just thinks online gaming communities are nothing but hateful old men who complain about everything so she avoids them.

I'm not buying that, if that was the case one shouldn't make such a mistake of buying a console.

It's freaking true, she never bought the Wii cause she heard bad things about it. (She had a gamecube though). She honestly 100% thought when I was talking about Wii U I meant the Wii and the Udraw thing (that she called a Upad).

i get that, but how did she notice the missing U. its called a Wii U, not just a wii. plus since its a new console, how did she not know it would cost a lot more. unless she bought it online, i am surprised the sales person did not correct her on this (no reason to not tell her and make a bigger sale or clear confusion). either you are messing with us, or she is messing with you.
---
~I will floss my teeth with your soul~
#72CatalystGuitar18Posted 2/3/2013 10:17:11 PM
Baha05 posted...
SuperNESGamer posted...
The name does smack of laziness. "Hey, we'll just throw another letter after the Wii! It'll be funny, too, because it'll be a contraction of another personal pronoun! lol!".

Yup because it's not like these systems exist:

SNES
PS2
PS3

Okay, I see what you're trying to say, but the SNES was marketed as the Super Nintendo, the PS2 as the Playstation 2, the PS3 as the Playstation 3, and the 360 was marketed as the Xbox 360.

While the Xbox one is a bit debatable (and you do have sorta a point there), naming it the Wii U doesn't have the sequel sort of nature as the PS2 and PS3, nor the upgrade sound of the Super Nintendo versus the Nintendo Entertainment System, nor the complete revision in design of the product found in the N64 and the 360.

What does the U even mean anyways? It's stupid. Wii 2 would've been perfect. Hell, it even preserves the meter of the words! This was a naming fiasco.
---
Come check out my music at www.last.fm/music/tyler+hellner
PSN ID: Senor_Rub_a_Dub
#73MaroziPosted 2/3/2013 10:21:12 PM
I'm partial to the naming. It allows Nintendo to be the video game police.

Wii U Wii U Wii U *flashing lights*
---
Watch your back. Shoot straight. Conserve ammo. NEVER cut a deal with a dragon. XBox: Oceansouldog
#74BoomerTheGreatPosted 2/3/2013 10:33:30 PM
I can assure you that Nintendo's advertising is poor because I didn't know it was a new system either and I am a hardcore gamer. I had to do RESEARCH to figure out what it is because it even looks like a Wii. But now I am sold on the Wii U and I will purchase one soon.
---
Greatness comes from within
#75chupachupPosted 2/3/2013 10:44:48 PM
wii poo would have been a better name.
---
We are trying to create a game that is spicy. And we want to make it as spicy as possible. But its edible and tastes good and leaves you wanting more.
#76hotshotgamesPosted 2/3/2013 10:54:33 PM
I can see why they did it - they wanted to tap into the success of the Wii

but, given that they are using the same remotes and a console that looks quite similar (not the difference of PS-PS2 for example) I do agree that they should have made the name a lot more distinguishable or advertised the fact that it was a whole new console more.
---
Apple>Nintendo>Steam>Playstation>Google>Microsoft>Origin
Own: Wii, DS, iPod Touch, Computer