But the Wii U gamepad is a gimmick. riiiggghhht.

#21ZBug_Posted 2/4/2013 2:31:17 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
ZimbabweBob posted...
If Nintendo does something different, it's a gimmick, a cheap diversion. If MicroSony does something different, it's innovation!

Technically touch screen controllers has been around before the Wii U

Sega created the first touch screen controller/handheld, it never made it to release.

Tiger's Game.Com made it to release and touch screen controls for arcades has been popular in Japan since early 2000

So where is the innovation from nintendo?

Well Microsoft didnt invent the projector either.
And using one for gaming just sounds horrendous.
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)
#22StealthTifaPosted 2/4/2013 3:07:47 AM
Wiinsurance topic.

And yes it is a gimmick everything Nintendo has done since the gamecube is a gimmick trying to sell to oap's and soccer moms.
---
GamerTag = Stealth David (Friends Request with no message = Decline)
#23diggyfreshPosted 2/4/2013 3:25:30 AM
the analog stick was a gimmick. N64 did it despite
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#24art_of_the_killPosted 2/4/2013 3:25:59 AM
99% of the world? More than half of that doesn't even know what a Nintendo is.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#25NightDrifter05Posted 2/4/2013 4:08:31 AM
Why do so many people think just because something is a gimmick mean's it's going to be a complete failure or is a bad product? Nobody can deny the Wii U Gamepad is a gimmick but that doesn't mean anything bad. If you compare the gamepad to everything on the market it is a complete gimmick because it's completely different then anything out in gaming and it makes it stand apart from the crowd. The Wii U obviously doesn't even need that Gamepad but they included it anyway and I think most people agree it's been well used for the most part and it's done enough to where "MicroSony" is going to be stealing the design on it.
#26Ampharos64Posted 2/4/2013 4:32:09 AM
I just read the article, and I wouldn't say they're blindly praising the IllumiRoom at all, it's discussing the tech. It asks: 'Is Microsoft's IllumiRoom the Future of Gaming?', not states that it is. The article brings up several issues and potential issues with it ('it wouldnít be surprising if IllumiRoom usage left players severely distracted or nursing headaches from being visually overstimulated'), and focuses more on the idea that, even if this isn't a success, this type of idea and other implementations of AR may be the future of gaming. Seems fair enough to me.
#27sonicsonicPosted 2/4/2013 4:39:15 AM
StealthTifa posted...
Wiinsurance topic.

And yes it is a gimmick everything Nintendo has done since the gamecube is a gimmick trying to sell to oap's and soccer moms.

Rawwwr rawwwwr. Nintendo and casuals suck. HARDCORE GAMERS FTWWWW...

Famicom was short for Family Computer. ROB also says hi.
#28STE573Posted 2/4/2013 4:41:04 AM
PSOLavis posted...
Definition: Gimmick- "An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget. something designed to attract extra attention, interest, or publicity."

How are all the things in this thread mentioned not gimmicks? To argue that the gamepad is not a gimmick because something ms is making is more gimmicky does not fly.

This.

Learn what the word gimmick means before using it out of context.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- XSTE90X- currently playing Forza Horizon (360) Xcom (360) Gravity Rush (Vita) Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)
#29ElectricKaibutuPosted 2/4/2013 6:14:42 AM
I totally want to try that illumniroom out. It might be stupid and distracting, but imagine it for survival horror. Shadows out of the corner of your eye?

This is bound to get disagrees but I think the gamepad and the illumniroom are similar in a way. TVs continue to become bigger and more detailed. Many gamers want 1080p and others hope this gen will be the start of 4k. But no matter how high the res or how big the display, the video game world is still stuck in that rectangular box. The gamepad with its ultra precise motion tracking can allow you to look around as if that world surrounds you. The illumniroom obviously also expands the game world outside of the TV. Yeah, they're silly gimmicks, but it seems like the big three are all toying with ideas to get that game world out of the TV.
#30SocranPosted 2/4/2013 6:43:41 AM(edited)
PSOLavis posted...
Definition: Gimmick- "An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget. something designed to attract extra attention, interest, or publicity."

How are all the things in this thread mentioned not gimmicks? To argue that the gamepad is not a gimmick because something ms is making is more gimmicky does not fly.

If you read his post, you'd know that he was specifically talking about the word "gimmick" being paired with the word "needless", and how that implies a secondary definition of the word. They may both be "gimmicks", but so is more power, better graphics, voice acting, and pretty much everything else. As far as "needless" goes, however, the Gamepad provides much more all-purpose use (that is to say, "core gaming" usefulness) than the Wiimote/Move, Kinect, or Illumiroom did, and it provides far more situational use (that is to say, unique possibilities) than the Illumiroom. This makes it the least "needless" gimmick out of all of them.

cvmckenzie posted...
Jesus. No wonder ign has to be so stupid. The average gamer's a f'n dumbass.

Okay, but seriously, that wasn't necessary. The moment you call someone a "f'n dumbass", you do lose the right to criticize people.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."