But the Wii U gamepad is a gimmick. riiiggghhht.

#41_Sovereign_Posted 2/4/2013 10:07:19 AM
PSOLavis posted...
Definition: Gimmick- "An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget. something designed to attract extra attention, interest, or publicity."

How are all the things in this thread mentioned not gimmicks? To argue that the gamepad is not a gimmick because something ms is making is more gimmicky does not fly.

Smart people ( i.e. normal) use their brain and understand the true definition of gimmick.

Others.......well, they view the word as an insult, but fail to realize everything they own has a gimmick
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#42GEKGanonPosted 2/4/2013 11:02:05 AM
What is Microsoft thinking? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be an uber fanboy about this, but really, what are they thinking? Projecting images on the wall to wrap the gameworld around the player? For that to even work well, you'd pretty much need a TV in the center of a wall with two empty walls on either side, so who even has an appropriate gaming space for that? On top of that, the entire thing can't possibly work better than the 3D, head-tracking Rift Oculus, so why is Microsoft even sinking money into this?
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#43Skill4ReelPosted 2/4/2013 11:13:54 AM
Hahaha. So true. There is no way that you can say the Wii U game pad is unnecessary, or a "solution to a problem that doesn't exist" as many have stated. Then turn around and try to convince me that wall projections and visors are something that will truly enhance my gaming experience.
#44ZimbabweBobPosted 2/5/2013 8:48:06 AM
_Sovereign_ posted...
PSOLavis posted...
Definition: Gimmick- "An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget. something designed to attract extra attention, interest, or publicity."

How are all the things in this thread mentioned not gimmicks? To argue that the gamepad is not a gimmick because something ms is making is more gimmicky does not fly.

Smart people ( i.e. normal) use their brain and understand the true definition of gimmick.

Others.......well, they view the word as an insult, but fail to realize everything they own has a gimmick

What you don't take into account is that the word "gimmick" has a connotation of negativity about it...I've never heard anyone refer to a positive technological improvement as a gimmick, or anything that brings true innovation in how we do things. Gimmick is a termed bandied about for the sole purpose of making something seem extraneous, forced, cheap, or unnecessary. Honestly, when's the last time you've heard ANYONE use the term gimmick in a positive manner?
---
You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.
NNID: ZimbabweBob
#45Bahamut_10thPosted 2/5/2013 8:57:47 AM
"yadda yadda nintendo didn't invent blablabla"

Stop playing stupid, please. Everyone knows they didn't invent those things.
But they're usually the first to figure out how to make a PROPER use of those features and motivate others to follow the trend.
#46HakeemTheDreamPosted 2/5/2013 9:34:30 AM
they're both gimmicks. give me a real controller, please
---
WyvernLord17
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/558836_o.gif
#47PigfartsPosted 2/5/2013 9:39:57 AM
ZimbabweBob posted...
If Nintendo does something different, it's a gimmick, a cheap diversion. If MicroSony does something different, it's innovation!

yeah I agress, old technology touch screen with non-HD graphics is the wave of the future.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#48digiblasterPosted 2/5/2013 9:43:56 AM
By the definition of the word 'gimmick', both are gimmicks. However, the context of the word is different when used on teh interwebz.
#49ZimbabweBobPosted 2/5/2013 9:49:37 AM
Pigfarts posted...
ZimbabweBob posted...
If Nintendo does something different, it's a gimmick, a cheap diversion. If MicroSony does something different, it's innovation!

yeah I agress, old technology touch screen with non-HD graphics is the wave of the future.

reading is fundamental, you should try it sometime.
---
You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.
NNID: ZimbabweBob
#50PigfartsPosted 2/5/2013 11:25:30 AM
ZimbabweBob posted...
Pigfarts posted...
ZimbabweBob posted...

reading is fundamental, you should try it sometime.

Sorry, I assumed you were being sarcastic and that you thought nintendo with innovative, then I was being sarcastic also by saying nintendo used dated technology in they game pad, I must have misunderstood the original post.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.