Wii U GPU die shots posted on NeoGAF!!!

#111diggyfreshPosted 2/5/2013 12:20:49 AM
Virus66 posted...
So tech experts who work with this stuff every day are having a hard time figuring this all out but the weekend tech enthusiast and notorious Wii U naysayers think that they know it all and it just conveniently sucks? I'd trust the company that does this stuff for a living thank you very much...

Yup. The Wii U chips are heavily customized. The recently acquired Wii U GPU photo from chipworks doesn't compare to known chips. The experts were expecting to compare that GPU photo to known GPUs.

So now they are confused.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#112TalesRevenantPosted 2/5/2013 2:12:00 AM
I think people are failing to see the obvious point here. It does not matter if the Wii U is weaker/stronger than PS3/360.

When PS4/720 arrive, it will get destroyed in terms of power. So it'll be another Wii. So a huge power gap between the next gen consoles, again.
---
Currently playing:
Ni No Kuni
#113diggyfreshPosted 2/5/2013 2:20:00 AM
TalesRevanant posted...
I think people are failing to see the obvious point here. It does not matter if the Wii U is weaker/stronger than PS3/360.

When PS4/720 arrive, it will get destroyed in terms of power. So it'll be another Wii. So a huge power gap between the next gen consoles, again.

It does matter if it's stronger. The gap between Wii U and PS4/720 may be less. If it is, then the likelihood of multiplat games increases because developers will have bi-directional access. Therefore, Wii U will not be another Wii because the 3rd party support will be more proportional.

IOW when you assume you make an ass out of you and me.
---
#114ElectricKaibutu(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 2:25:01 AM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
Charski posted...
i only know so little about the technical specs, but can someone sum up to me what the specs mean? still confused about the wii u's power and if it's even decent. if it isn't, i'm still cool with it. more interesting 3rd party exclusives then.

Raw power is roughly on par with the 360, but it has so much custom stuff in it that any direct comparison is useless. Just think about the Gamecube, spec wise the Xbox crushed the Cube, but thanks to the customized hardware, it more than held it's own.

As you said, raw power wise it's probably about 360's level. That plus the more modern GPU features, the actual performance will possibly be a bit better. I've seen "Xbox 360 1.5" bandied about a bit on NeoGAF and my gut tells me that's probably what it will end up being, and nothing more, barring some magic built into the chip. From the games we've seen so far and trailers for games that are coming, that seems to be the ballpark.

Bringing up the GameCube is a good point. It certainly was comparable to the Xbox to everyone's surprise. I've seen it said that Nintendo got lucky with the design of the Cube and it just happened to turn out brilliant. I don't know about that. Nintendo has been designing gaming hardware longer than anyone. Looking at this bizarre custom Wii U GPU, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's either that or they are absolutely bats*** insane.
#115diggyfreshPosted 2/5/2013 2:30:30 AM
Charski posted...
[...] I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's either that or they are absolutely bats*** insane.

it's this. just watch 5 min of any N promotional material and u can see they are definitely sipping loco juice.
---
#116nonexistingheroPosted 2/5/2013 2:51:32 AM
ElectricKaibutu posted...
PENDRAG0ON posted...
Charski posted...
i only know so little about the technical specs, but can someone sum up to me what the specs mean? still confused about the wii u's power and if it's even decent. if it isn't, i'm still cool with it. more interesting 3rd party exclusives then.

Raw power is roughly on par with the 360, but it has so much custom stuff in it that any direct comparison is useless. Just think about the Gamecube, spec wise the Xbox crushed the Cube, but thanks to the customized hardware, it more than held it's own.

As you said, raw power wise it's probably about 360's level. That plus the more modern GPU features, the actual performance will possibly be a bit better. I've seen "Xbox 360 1.5" bandied about a bit on NeoGAF and my gut tells me that's probably what it will end up being, and nothing more, barring some magic built into the chip. From the games we've seen so far and trailers for games that are coming, that seems to be the ballpark.

Bringing up the GameCube is a good point. It certainly was comparable to the Xbox to everyone's surprise. I've seen it said that Nintendo got lucky with the design of the Cube and it just happened to turn out brilliant. I don't know about that. Nintendo has been designing gaming hardware longer than anyone. Looking at this bizarre custom Wii U GPU, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's either that or they are absolutely bats*** insane.

They've already come to the conclusion that it's at least 1.5 times as powerful as the 360's GPU based on the things they know, although there's still a lot of unknown stuff. Seems like my earlier estimates of it being 2-3 times as capable as the 360's GPU could be pretty likely.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#117nonexistingheroPosted 2/5/2013 2:54:30 AM
TalesRevanant posted...

Problem with the Wii was that the other consoles simply could do a lot of things that had an effect on the actual gameplay, that the Wii couldn't do (even when making it look like garbage). For one thing, people won't notice that much of a difference between graphics this time around. Second, the Wii U should be capable of producing the exact same games gameplay-wise.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#118GdboyratedloudPosted 2/5/2013 2:56:17 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
TalesRevanant posted...

Problem with the Wii was that the other consoles simply could do a lot of things that had an effect on the actual gameplay, that the Wii couldn't do (even when making it look like garbage). For one thing, people won't notice that much of a difference between graphics this time around. Second, the Wii U should be capable of producing the exact same games gameplay-wise.

ignore the drones. they are expecting avatar graphics with a laptop cpu/gpu
---
PSN: JamesDeanONdaLOW
little did I know, James Dean was actually on the down low.
#119SoeroahPosted 2/5/2013 3:35:05 AM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
PUNCHOUT1116 posted...
Icecreamdunwich posted...
Just seems like it's not much more powerful than current gen consoles, which will lead to a power gap (again) between the Wii U and the new consoles.

Again, they are still looking at all the custom parts, which is gonna take them a bit. Posts are ranging from "oh this is bad" to "this is gonna make some great looking games".

That said, no one knows yet.

When someone is finally able to post "this is what we have and this is what it means for gaming", anything else is speculation at this point.

True, I just hope that if it's bad news that the fanboys don't go on some angry tirade. I'm sure some will, but I just hope most can restrain themselves.

I would expect any like me, who either DGAF about console comparisons or will likely own multiple consoles, won't care even if the Wii U does turn out to be poorly designed future-proof-wise.

Still kinda depends on what they do with it. I'm hoping the Gamepad encourages some creativity in game design myself. Multiplats are important but I do like games that work with dual screens or what the GP seems capable of.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#120OtakuGameraPosted 2/5/2013 3:42:56 AM
They've already come to the conclusion that it's at least 1.5 times as powerful as the 360's GPU based on the things they know, although there's still a lot of unknown stuff. Seems like my earlier estimates of it being 2-3 times as capable as the 360's GPU could be pretty likely.

where did you get that from? all i see is that 1.5x is the most it could achieve and that's being positive
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg