Wii U GPU die shots posted on NeoGAF!!!

#141ugoo18Posted 2/5/2013 3:14:34 PM
geneticsftw posted...
ElectricKaibutu posted...
Jim Morrison over at Chipworks (the reverse engineering company that scanned the chip) has some insight from his professional experience:

"Been reading some of the comments on your thread and have a few of my own to use as you wish.

1. This GPU is custom.
2. If it was based on ATI/AMD or a Radeon-like design, the chip would carry die marks to reflect that. Everybody has to recognize the licensing. It has none. Only Renesas name which is a former unit of NEC.
3. This chip is fabricated in a 40 nm advanced CMOS process at TSMC and is not low tech
4. For reference sake, the Apple A6 is fabricated in a 32 nm CMOS process and is also designed from scratch. Itís manufacturing costs, in volumes of 100k or more, about $26 - $30 a pop. Over 16 months degrade to about $15 each
a. Wii U only represents like 30M units per annum vs iPhone which is more like 100M units per annum. Put things in perspective.
5. This Wii U GPU costs more than that by about $20-$40 bucks each making it a very expensive piece of kit. Combine that with the IBM CPU and the Flash chip all on the same package and this whole thing is closer to $100 a piece when you add it all up
6. The Wii U main processor package is a very impressive piece of hardware when its said and done.

Trust me on this. It may not have water cooling and heat sinks the size of a brownie, but its one slick piece of silicon. eDRAM is not cheap to make. That is why not everybody does it. Cause its so dam expensive."

Kissadookie dissagrees, eDRAM is dirt cheap.

Who?

Anyway whatever floats his boat but the words of Chipworks hold more weight than a random Gfaqs armchair analyst/dev anyway.
---
"THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT ?"
#142DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/5/2013 3:25:05 PM
The shader clusters actually do look quite a bit like R700 shader cores.
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED
a high end card gets bg3 1080p maxed around 200fps ~The Q on BF3.
#143geneticsftwPosted 2/5/2013 3:26:15 PM
@ugoo18, my mistake, wasn't dirt cheap.
kissdadookie posted...

It's 32MB if eDRAM. Yes, it costs a bit more but they saved a bundle using slower DDR RAM as system memory. Again, if you want to LOL my comment, prove me wrong, thus far you've only proven your ignorance and your endless capacity at apologizing for Nintendo's hardware shortcomings.

---
Sweet
#144mini_blightPosted 2/5/2013 3:27:56 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...

Yep, which is why anyone that says the 360 looked Like Xbox at launch is full of BS.

You mean like Sony? You know Sony, the ones who came up with XBOX 1.5?

Ken Kutaragi Am Cry.
#145DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/5/2013 3:37:03 PM(edited)
mini_blight posted...
Icecreamdunwich posted...

Yep, which is why anyone that says the 360 looked Like Xbox at launch is full of BS.

You mean like Sony? You know Sony, the ones who came up with XBOX 1.5?

Ken Kutaragi Am Cry.

What, Sony talking smack about a competitor?
No way!

Has anyone noticed that the shader clusters look more like Cape Verde than RV770s?

http://www.3dcenter.org/dateien/abbildungen/AMD-Southern-Islands-Die-Shots.jpg

If it is mirroring Cape Verde cores, that would put it at 64*8=512 cores or so.
---
#146pearl arowanaPosted 2/5/2013 7:56:33 PM
TalesRevanant posted...
I think people are failing to see the obvious point here. It does not matter if the Wii U is weaker/stronger than PS3/360.

When PS4/720 arrive, it will get destroyed in terms of power. So it'll be another Wii. So a huge power gap between the next gen consoles, again.

this..

looking at current games on wii u.. it seem wii u is weaker than ps3/360
---
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or abministrator]
#147PendragoonPosted 2/5/2013 11:11:21 PM
Bumping, because this is the only topic we need on the subject.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#148DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/6/2013 10:29:38 AM
Up with you.
---