Has Nintendo hinted at changing the way purchases are linked moving forward?

#1xLexLuth0rxPosted 2/4/2013 7:44:39 PM
I thought that I'd read something around launch stating that Nintendo is actively looking to change their current hardware-based account system over to something similar to what just about everyone else in the industry does... account-based.

I have yet to see anything more about this. Have they officially stated that this is being worked on or was it all just rumors? If so, is it something you think they can change at will or would it most likely be for purchases going forward - not including past purchases?
---
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist..."
Nintendo Network ID - LexLuth0r (please add me)
#2BuretsuPosted 2/4/2013 7:49:05 PM
Well, if you check the support section of the website, they say "In the future, you will be able to use your Nintendo Network Account with future Nintendo consoles and other devices, such as PC's."

So... maybe? Hopefully?
---
Vita sucks! Sony is a copy cat! Sony is Dooooooomed! -Nice_Kirbyfan9
And the Vita is failing hard -Linetrix
#3Baha05Posted 2/4/2013 8:04:24 PM
I'm assuming they are waiting for VC to be fully online for the Wii U to mention accounts. Because when you think about it there is money to be made with the VC to begin with and having an account system with the Wii U/3DS and future devices will bring in a lot of money to Nintendo.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#4geneticsftwPosted 2/4/2013 8:05:25 PM
I won't buy anything digital or dlc until it changes.
---
Sweet
#5SkyCrackersPosted 2/4/2013 8:16:50 PM
Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it. They're probably not gonna go out of their way to make a convenient online purchasing system when their current one works just fine and makes them a lot of cash, and their fans are willing to overlook flaws like this because of the quality of their games. Just trying to be realistic, here.
---
Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a hideously underrated game.
#6xLexLuth0rx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 9:40:32 PM
SkyCrackers posted...
Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it. They're probably not gonna go out of their way to make a convenient online purchasing system when their current one works just fine and makes them a lot of cash, and their fans are willing to overlook flaws like this because of the quality of their games. Just trying to be realistic, here.

I totally get what you're saying. But I have to believe that Nintendo isn't happy with overall sales as it seems their financials have been less than great the last few times they've reported. I'd HOPE they would look at what one of the big issues are with their current design and realize that device-linked purchases will not win over many new fans.

I'm the only one of my 6 gaming friends that has a Wii U and this is the 2nd most common reason they don't own one. The first is lack of 3rd party support...
---
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist..."
Nintendo Network ID - LexLuth0r (please add me)