Did New Super Mario Bros. U effectively f*** up Nintendo's plans?

#1PhaseBlackPosted 2/4/2013 10:30:14 PM(edited)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii was a titan of a seller, yet NSMBU can barely keep the Wii U units moving along. What happened there? Shouldnt Wii Us be flying off the shelf because of that game?

I think Nintendo put a lot of their initial sales projections for the Wii U with NSMBU as the reason they thought the console would be selling better
---
PSVita & 3DS
#2ADHDguitarPosted 2/4/2013 10:18:52 PM
Nah, NSMBU is fluff. Good, but fluff.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#3ThayilPosted 2/4/2013 10:25:16 PM
That's sort of a loaded question to be asking since it has only been a few months since its release. Sure, they may have cut their annual sales projection by a few million, but there is no current generation competition yet to speak of from either Sony or Microsoft in comparison.

Being that this is Nintendo, Wii U owners also have more than one successful franchise to look forward to. There is still Zelda, Mario Kart, and Smash Brothers to look forward to within this year. Technically speaking, they'd have to botch every big launch they have planned to screw itself in the international market. That's simply my opinion.
#4DTY3Posted 2/4/2013 10:25:31 PM
New Super Mario Bros. Wii U was a titan of a seller, yet NSMBU can barely keep the Wii U units moving along

wut.

Anyway TC fails to realize when NSMBW launched, the Wii had already dominated the market. Of course it sold more. I can't believe there are seriously people on this board that don't understand that.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#5PendragoonPosted 2/4/2013 10:28:12 PM
The game has an insane attach rate. Close to 70% of Wii U owners bought this game. That percentage keeps going up every week too.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#6Tsutarja495Posted 2/4/2013 10:36:54 PM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
The game has an insane attach rate. Close to 70% of Wii U owners bought this game. That percentage keeps going up every week too.

This. The attach rate for NSMBW was only about 1/4 of people buying it.
#7TerotrousPosted 2/4/2013 11:12:16 PM
NSMB also sold over an extremely long period of time. The way it got so many sales was just selling like 250k month after month.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#8NarutoPosted 2/4/2013 11:18:48 PM
It's an evergreen title.
#9uneedtowakeupPosted 2/4/2013 11:25:44 PM
Um plus NSMB Wii was the first 2D Mario game out on a console since the SNES days. Millions of people where waiting for a game like that to come.

The Wii U version doesnt really do much new.
#10OlimarxPosted 2/4/2013 11:27:22 PM
But to people who were eager to get n64 for mario 64 or wii for wii sports, Ninty Land and nsmbu were just not appealing enough.
---
My mission is to kill time, and time's to kill me in its turn. How comfortable one is among murderers. - Emile M. Cioran