Did New Super Mario Bros. U effectively f*** up Nintendo's plans?

#21Tidus9rulesPosted 2/5/2013 7:10:23 AM
I agree with you, but come on, do you really think the rest of the world is gonna cling to Animal Crossing? The 3DS one is selling crazy in Japan. What the reason is, no one seems to know.
#22squatch22Posted 2/5/2013 7:16:34 AM
The_Shadow_Link posted...
Pah, all this nonsense about Attach Rate and what not.

U has only sold around 10 to 20% of what Wii did in the same time frame. Wii was well beyond 10 Million Copies at this time, there's a massive 8 Million less sales for it. And since both games are considered System Sellers don't say there isn't enough games for the console as an excuse. Most people got a Wii and Only bought New Super Mario Bros Wii on it ever. That was the only game they ever played. The same can easily be said for U, espicially with it's large "Attach Rate" you guys keep talking about.

So, it's fair to see that if Nintendo's Plan was to release a 2D Mario Platformer on both of their new consoles and make 10 Million, or even 5 Million quick sales in under 2 months then it's fair to say Nintendo's Plan Failed. Probably because of Oversaturation and most people not being idiots and noticing the fairly minimal amount of differences between the games.

Nintendo should just try to get Animal Crossing out worldwide now, considering how insanely well the game is selling over in Japan, and would probably do very well over hear as well.

Ignoring the fact that when NSMBWii was released, MILLIONS more Wiis had been sold due to Wii being about 4 years old...
---
Dog posted: I know I have bias...
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#23TerotrousPosted 2/5/2013 7:18:14 AM

U has only sold around 10 to 20% of what Wii did in the same time frame. Wii was well beyond 10 Million Copies at this time, there's a massive 8 Million less sales for it. And since both games are considered System Sellers don't say there isn't enough games for the console as an excuse. Most people got a Wii and Only bought New Super Mario Bros Wii on it ever. That was the only game they ever played. The same can easily be said for U, espicially with it's large "Attach Rate" you guys keep talking about.

So, it's fair to see that if Nintendo's Plan was to release a 2D Mario Platformer on both of their new consoles and make 10 Million, or even 5 Million quick sales in under 2 months then it's fair to say Nintendo's Plan Failed. Probably because of Oversaturation and most people not being idiots and noticing the fairly minimal amount of differences between the games.

Uhh, there aren't even 10 million Wii Us out there. And no one game is going to move 10 million systems by itself. No system has ever even come close to moving 10 million systems in 6 months, if Wii U could actually make that super insane sales target it would be on pace to sell like 300 mil lifetime.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#24GloryChaosPosted 2/5/2013 7:25:33 AM
New Super Mario Bros U was released in the end of 2012 in December.

It then proceeded to become the 19th highest selling game out of every game released in 2012. It even outdid games that got released in January.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#25NewbiusPosted 2/5/2013 7:29:00 AM
There are two things you gotta look at here:
1. The amount of consoles sold so far
2. The sales ratio of the game

The amount of Wii U units world wide is at around 2,500,000.

New Super Mario Bros. U sold around 1,480,000 units world wide.

When you do basic math, 1 of every 1.68 Wii U's has a copy of Super Mario Bros. U

The sales for the game are actually very good.
#26fon1988Posted 2/5/2013 8:19:29 AM
Newbius posted...

When you do basic math, 1 of every 1.68 Wii U's has a copy of Super Mario Bros. U

I was going to post this, but you beat me to it.

I'm glad there is someone else here with a rational mind.
#27The_DjokerPosted 2/5/2013 8:22:59 AM
NSMBU is actually a much better game than NSMBWii.
---
http://s19.postimage.org/aosug5mrn/Persona4.png
#28NewbiusPosted 2/5/2013 8:35:27 AM
fon1988 posted...
Newbius posted...

I was going to post this, but you beat me to it.

I'm glad there is someone else here with a rational mind.

Hey, someone has to talk some sense into the TC right?
#29The_Shadow_LinkPosted 2/5/2013 10:50:35 AM
Terotrous posted...

Uhh, there aren't even 10 million Wii Us out there. And no one game is going to move 10 million systems by itself. No system has ever even come close to moving 10 million systems in 6 months, if Wii U could actually make that super insane sales target it would be on pace to sell like 300 mil lifetime.

Ahahaha, this is hilarious. This is absolutely hilarious.

THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE WII.

I'm going to show you the sales of 2009 for the console.

Date Japan Americas Other Worldwide Increase
2009-03-31 7.96 23.54 18.89 50.39 12%
2009-06-30 8.17 24.42 20.03 52.62 4%
2009-09-30 8.68 25.99 21.48 56.14 7%
2009-12-31 9.72 32.02 25.71 67.45 20%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii

Do you see that rather sudden surge in sales at the end of the year? 2 Things happened at that time. Nintendo attributes it to 2 things:

(1) The Wii was price-cut from $249 to $199
(2) New Software releases like New Super Mario Bros Wii

I think it's fair to say that, whilst not all of the sales can be attributed to this. But the Majority of sales during this time were for people wanting to buy a Wii and wanting to play New Super Mario Bros. Wii on it. And for some, this could be the first time they have brought any console, and they only bought the console for New Super Mario Bros. Wii

A similar situation has arrived. There is this console and it's got a New Super Mario Bros game on it. This time however, the demand is much, much less than Wii did.

And the pitch at nintendo probably went like this.

"We have this new console coming out, what game should we make for it?"
"That Mario Platformer sold a stupid amount of numbers, if we do the exact same thing again but make small improvements, we can sell a lot more consoles and a lot more games!"

I'm sure that having a backlog might have had the Wii a bit for sure. But since I know plenty of people that get a console and only ever get one, two games for it. Wii Sports, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros Wii. They are all games like that (How many people so far only have NSMBU as there Wii U game?) It's is possible for a console to sell 10 Million in 6 months, Wii did even better than that in only 3 Months! It's fair to say that the expectations and pontential sales are greatly under what they could have been, had Nintendo changed some things, like Launch the Wii U with a cheaper price, Better marketing on the consoles abilities, or making an actual Co-op Mario Game that takes better advantage of the console features and didn't look like NSMB Wii V1.5.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#30TerotrousPosted 2/5/2013 11:02:53 AM(edited)
Ahahaha, this is hilarious. This is absolutely hilarious.

THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE WII.

I'm going to show you the sales of 2009 for the console.

Date Japan Americas Other Worldwide Increase
2009-03-31 7.96 23.54 18.89 50.39 12%
2009-06-30 8.17 24.42 20.03 52.62 4%
2009-09-30 8.68 25.99 21.48 56.14 7%
2009-12-31 9.72 32.02 25.71 67.45 20%

Uhh, it should have been obvious that I meant "the first 6 months". Console sales ramp up over time, and are highest at the middle of the generation. That's why if you could sell 10 mil in the first 6 months, you'd go on to sell like 300 mil worldwide.

Sorry to rain on your little counterexample parade.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery