Should Nintendo be like its competitors?

#1ArturiaZweiPosted 2/4/2013 11:31:19 PM
Is it alright for Nintendo to offer different games than the competition? - Results (29 votes)
Yes, I appreciate that it focuses on its own games.
75.86% (22 votes)
No, I want to only buy a single console.
10.34% (3 votes)
Maybe, my head hurts from watching the Porygon episode of Pokemon.
13.79% (4 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Its no secret that Nintendo hasn't really drawn ports since SNES. The question here is do their consoles need to? How many people bought Wii U for Batman Arkham City?

Were we maybe instead looking to see what unique experiences could be offered on this console?

If I want games from another system, I feel confident that I can buy that system, but I want the Wii U for games only the Wii U can offer. And based on the Ps3/360/Wii, a number of people felt similarly.

So whats your opinion? Should Nintendo stick to what it does best and allow developers to play around with the hardware on the side? Alternatively, would it be better that Nintendo focus on offering the same experience as its competition.
#2BuretsuPosted 2/4/2013 11:35:07 PM
Nintendo should be like everybody else and focus 100% of their efforts on GRAPHICS OUT THE ASS. **** gameplay! Who needs that **** when your games can look ****ING SWEET?
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#3ArturiaZwei(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 11:36:45 PM
Buretsu posted...
Nintendo should be like everybody else and focus 100% of their efforts on GRAPHICS OUT THE ASS. **** gameplay! Who needs that **** when your games can look ****ING SWEET?

You know, the moment I read that, Final Fantasy XIII came to mind...
#4UmitenchoPosted 2/4/2013 11:39:53 PM
ArturiaZwei posted...
Buretsu posted...

The graphics are starting to become the franchise's only strong point.
#5BuretsuPosted 2/4/2013 11:41:47 PM
ArturiaZwei posted...
Buretsu posted...

Well, sure! FFXIII was AWESOME! Who needs to directly control combat? That ****'s too slow! These graphics are made for moving around! Combat should be automatic, because controls are for squares. Press a button and look at 'em go! Particle effects all up in YO FACE, BOIIIIIIII! Free roaming? HELL NAW. Make it linear to really show off those SKYBOXES! You won't care about all the places you'll never go because they look JUST. THAT. DAMN. GOOD.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#6ArturiaZwei(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 11:53:02 PM
The auto-combat function, the general lack of exploration and the simplicity of the actual "gaming" elements really disappointed me.

Unfortunately I don't have much better to say for the Resident Evil Franchise. I'm just generally done with action shooters and want a different kind of experience. I liked the puzzle solving elements of the first Resident Evils and having to be resourceful with my ammo added, throw in dinosaurs and i'm there. Throw in mutants and a stamp collection sequence in a town wiped out during Christmas and i'll give my money.

I know it seems simple but play a game where the simple goal is to catch someone or vacuum them up, or playing co-op with a friend and not trying to end their miserable life. I want to see more of this because I've seen a lot of everything else.
#7AdamLazarusoPosted 2/4/2013 11:53:51 PM
The battle system was one of the only good things about Final Fantasy XIII. It was the linearity that was disappointing.

Anyways, I've said it before and I'll say it again. There are so many great third party series and indie games available nowadays that Nintendo games alone aren't enough to sell a system - especially since some of their key series like Zelda have floundered in recent years.

People aren't going to buy the Wii U for Arkham City but are they really gonna buy it for New Super Mario Bros U either?

Super Smash Bros is the only Nintendo game that would make me consider buying a Wii U by its own virtue.
---
We should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other.
#8art_of_the_killPosted 2/4/2013 11:58:50 PM
Buretsu posted...

I don't really think this holds any water. Most great-looking games are also great games.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#9selfdeztructionPosted 2/5/2013 12:01:15 AM
ArturiaZwei posted...
Its no secret that Nintendo hasn't really drawn ports since SNES. The question here is do their consoles need to? How many people bought Wii U for Batman Arkham City?

Were we maybe instead looking to see what unique experiences could be offered on this console?

If I want games from another system, I feel confident that I can buy that system, but I want the Wii U for games only the Wii U can offer. And based on the Ps3/360/Wii, a number of people felt similarly.

So whats your opinion? Should Nintendo stick to what it does best and allow developers to play around with the hardware on the side? Alternatively, would it be better that Nintendo focus on offering the same experience as its competition.

I didn't vote because my opinion wasn't conveyed within the choices.

Prior to getting the Wii U I had Batman AC for the PS3 and was at 15% completion.

I decided to sell my copy and purchase the Wii U version because I really like the way that it utilized the GP to enhance the gameplay and I thought that the GP only mode was great.

I also have BLOPS 2 on the Wii U and plan on buying Mass Effect 3,Aliens,Walking Dead and RE Revelations (eventhough I have it on my XL) for the Wii U because I've seen that the Wii U can easily have the better version of a game if the devs take advantage of the systems abilities and features.

I LOVE the exclusives that Nintendo has and I am glad that their system will also receive the better versions of multiplatform games.
---
XBL / PSN (PS3 & vita) / Wii-U / Skype - selfdeztruction
Wii FC (HaVoK) 6605 3315 8599 4345 3DS XL FC(HaVoK) 3780 9281 5652 I'm no fanboy,I'm a dirty whore