Ok, The Wonderful 101 does not look very good you guys.

#31Dersu_UzalaPosted 2/5/2013 6:12:55 AM
I have to agree. It looks like just another mediocre overhead action game, the kind of thing you'd see a dime-a-dozen on smartphones.
#32Poopcorn13Posted 2/5/2013 6:17:29 AM
Is it the camera angle that people think this isn't worth 60 bucks? If it was over-the-shoulder third person, would that satisfy most of you?

Anyway TC, it just sounds like you're not a fan of crowd-control gameplay. (Pikmin) But give the game a try before you write it off.
---
You am no real super sand. - Virginia
#33GencoilPosted 2/5/2013 6:17:57 AM
Dersu_Uzala posted...
I have to agree. It looks like just another mediocre overhead action game, the kind of thing you'd see a dime-a-dozen on smartphones.

What kind of amazing smartphone do you have that can produce graphics like that?
---
www.klustr.net || http://passid.ca/recoil || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil || NNID: Recoil
#34Dersu_UzalaPosted 2/5/2013 6:20:17 AM(edited)
Is it the camera angle that people think this isn't worth 60 bucks?

No, it's the boring and simple action. A better camera angle would probably help, but I guess they needed to keep it family friendly so it wouldn't make Little Jimmy motion sick.

Platinum has no business making kids' games.
#35Dersu_UzalaPosted 2/5/2013 6:19:42 AM
Dersu_Uzala posted...

What kind of amazing smartphone do you have that can produce graphics like that?

An iPhone?
#36GencoilPosted 2/5/2013 6:28:17 AM
Dersu_Uzala posted...
Dersu_Uzala posted...

An iPhone?

Watch this trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J-61NKRaYjw

Does that look like "a dime-a-dozen" to you?
---
www.klustr.net || http://passid.ca/recoil || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil || NNID: Recoil
#37Poopcorn13Posted 2/5/2013 6:31:48 AM
Dersu_Uzala posted...
Is it the camera angle that people think this isn't worth 60 bucks?

No, it's the boring and simple action. A better camera angle would probably help, but I guess they needed to keep it family friendly so it wouldn't make Little Jimmy motion sick.

Platinum has no business making kids' games.

Have you played the game? How do you know how simple it is? I ask because I really doubt that, given it's directed by Kamiya. If anything, I feel the game'll be a lot like Viewtiful Joe. Simple combat, but the enemy types and abilities will keep it constantly fresh and give it charm.

And why not? Who said they can't make an enjoyable game that marketed to a wider audience?
---
You am no real super sand. - Virginia
#38Dersu_UzalaPosted 2/5/2013 6:31:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J-61NKRaYjw

Does that look like "a dime-a-dozen" to you?

The quality of the presentation doesn't, but the gameplay mechanics do.
#39Dersu_UzalaPosted 2/5/2013 6:40:19 AM(edited)
From: Poopcorn13 | #037Have you played the game? How do you know how simple it is? I ask because I really doubt that, given it's directed by Kamiya. If anything, I feel the game'll be a lot like Viewtiful Joe. Simple combat, but the enemy types and abilities will keep it constantly fresh and give it charm.

I obviously can't make any final judgments about the game since it isn't even finished, but the combat doesn't look any more nuanced or varied than whacking the enemies with your absurdly oversized attacks (seriously, that sword takes up the entire screen) until you can activate your Pikmin-inspired mass attack. Bayonetta and MGR:R are like this too, where the entire combat engine is just a gateway to being able to use torture attacks/boss QTEs or Blade Mode, but it looks to be even more accentuated here.

From: Poopcorn13 | #037And why not? Who said they can't make an enjoyable game that marketed to a wider audience?

I said it. Platinum is at their best when they're reveling in gleeful violence and sexuality. Having them make a kids' game for Nintendo is just a waste of their talents.
#40BoomerTheGreatPosted 2/5/2013 6:44:52 AM
Gencoil posted...
mcsmellington posted...
Gencoil posted...
You sure you guys aren't just judging the game unfairly because it has a cartoony style? I've been noticing this a lot with games in recent years, people tend to shy away from stuff like that. Everyone wants realism these days.

Is that why Ni No Kuni is topping the charts?

I had no idea it was. Guess there are a few exceptions...

Its not topping the charts but this topic screams come on in my fellow trollie ollies
---
Greatness comes from within