since when does weak console = weak games?

#51SolisPosted 2/6/2013 4:16:43 AM
Umitencho posted...
leopoldshark posted...
It doesn't. Power is just a tool. Having a weaker tool limits your options, but clever designers can work around them. Game designers have been programming around the limitations of the current systems for the past 30 years, so this is not really a problem for them. Devs get excited about a more powerful system because that means there are fewer limitations.

And yet the PS3 was a chore to Dev for despite being the strongest. Power doesn't mean you have fewer limitations, its just means you have more to work for. But as the PS3 and N64 proved, does matter if the medium(cart) or architecture makes it hard to do anything.

Except the PS3 wasn't the strongest, and one of the reasons it was a chore to develop for is because of its weaker hardware and limitations/bottlenecks. Perfect example of how more power equates to a better experience in fact: if it had a more competent GPU, we wouldn't have been stuck with so many games on it that looked and/or ran worse than the Xbox 360 versions of multiplatform games. And of course, games that were exclusive to it would have been able to achieve much greater things if they could have fully used the capabilities of a stronger system instead of being hampered by its restrictions.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#52nonexistingheroPosted 2/6/2013 4:24:21 AM
Ryan Si posted...
LOL at NSMBW and DKCR being "last gen's best 2D platformer." This guy clearly only owns a Wii.

Some awesomely innovative and platformers out there on Steam and PSN that make those two games look like the the dated concepts they are.

That's pretty much false. Steam & PSN have a decent amount of good 2D platformers, but they still don't compare to these 2.

SpaceCadettt posted...
Lol at Xenoblade being last gen's best RPG as well. Or even JRPG.

Tales of Vesperia is much, much better, although you could argue that both are eclipsed by Skyrim and the Witcher 2.

Xenoblade is commonly accepted as the best JRPG by many. Tales of Vesperia rank #2 for JRPG's for me this generation. Witcher 2... haven't played, but it doesn't seem that great from what I've seen. Skyrim is pretty garbage. The atrocious, beyond dated combat ruins everything.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#53greatone101Posted 2/6/2013 6:28:08 AM
Xenoblade is garbage. Dont know why the hell people are praising this crap. I got bored of the game after 10 hours and never played since. Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia,Tales of Xillia and Persona 4 (came on PS2 in 2008 though so i still think of it this gen) are the best jrpgs this gen.
#54Citan22(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 7:46:02 AM
clearly this went over a lot of people's heads..

people are trying to argue that these games would be even better on the more powerful systems. right or wrong, the point is they weren't on those systems.. the point is the lowly Wii had them and they were great games.. some of the best of last gen.

then others are saying that i'm making a redundant statement since Nintendo ALWAYS wins in 3D & 2D platformers.. ok, that just means there's one less reason to criticize the U and it's current lack of games, cause when it's all said and done you already seem to know we'll have the BEST 3D and 2D platformers.. cool. those are popular genres, you know?? so popular, some people may actually buy their consoles to play that genre!

and finally, no- there is no question that Xenoblade is or isn't the best RPG of last gen. it is. most people on this site can't properly define an RPG, let alone play through an entire one.. my apologies if i refuse to give your opinions merit.. Knowing that every hardcore RPG fan i know who has played Xenoblade says it's the best game in a decade is proof enough.

i forgot about Dead Space though.. that is a great survival horror game.
oh well, at least the Wii got the best Silent Hill of last gen... judging by reviews, of course.
---
NNID: BONEPILL
#55sonicsonicPosted 2/6/2013 7:51:10 AM
Serious question guys.

So I was playing Banjo-Kazooie on my N64 the other day. Pikachu edition. Of course...

Having a great time, trying my best to collect every jigsaw, jinjo and note. So I'm nearly at the end of the game now, but then something terrible happened...

I realised the 360 has better graphics! ... And even worse. The NextBox will have even better graphics than the 360. Should I just stop playing and having fun ?
#56Ryan SiPosted 2/6/2013 8:23:16 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
Ryan Si posted...
LOL at NSMBW and DKCR being "last gen's best 2D platformer." This guy clearly only owns a Wii.

Some awesomely innovative and platformers out there on Steam and PSN that make those two games look like the the dated concepts they are.

That's pretty much false. Steam & PSN have a decent amount of good 2D platformers, but they still don't compare to these 2.

Why? They're basically the old SNES games with updated graphics and physics (in DKC:R's case, worse controls too). I admit, I actually like NSMBWii and appreciate what the game did for the 2D platformer genre as far as showing that 2D can still sell, but it isn't very creative or original.

I'd personally put Bit.Trip Runner, Super Meat Boy, and Rayman Origins above NSMBWii.
---
Most Wanted: Bit.Trip Runner 2 (PC), Final Fantasy X HD (PS4)
#57SolisPosted 2/6/2013 9:39:24 AM
Citan22 posted...

people are trying to argue that these games would be even better on the more powerful systems. right or wrong, the point is they weren't on those systems.. the point is the lowly Wii had them and they were great games.. some of the best of last gen.

OK, so if hardware doesn't matter, why can't Nintendo keep making Wii games instead of wholly abandoning it in favor of making Wii U games? And especially since for every one good game the Wii got, the Xbox 360/PS3 got 3-4 games, despite the Wii being the highest selling console of the generation. So what does that say about the importance of hardware capabilities?
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#58SpaceCadetttPosted 2/6/2013 9:55:59 AM

No-one is arguing that the Wii U won't get good first-party games (although even those have lost their magic of late), more that it will be too much hassle for third-party devs to port their titles to.
---
http://i.imgur.com/V9vWy.gif