Mass Effect 3 semi-review and impressions on the Wii U

#1VoelgerPosted 2/5/2013 9:04:28 AM
I played Mass Effect 3 last night for the first time. Now, I should state that I bought a Wii U last week and have not actually experienced all that the console has to offer yet. I did get Mario U, but I have yet to give it much time. To be honest, the thing I am most impressed with with Mass Effect, Mario U doesn't really show well. The fact that the game is old school 2D, it takes away from the wow factor of the gamepad.

Which brings me to the thing that impressed me most, the gamepad only play with Mass Effect 3. I have owned and played the Vita and holy crap! That gamepad looks great. The fact that I can play a game like Mass Effect, a fully realized, deep action RPG on a gamepad and get a similar console experience is a huge step for gaming. At first I didn't get how to make it work either. My wife was watching House Hunters on HGTV and I picked up the gamepad and turned on the system. I sat there looking at a blue Mass Effect loading screen on the gamepad for over 3 minutes before I realized that the game must be on the tv screen. I figured I would have to access the main tv screen to get it to work on the gamepad. I went to gamefaqs to see if someone had a solution and sure enough they did. You must hold down the select button and “WA-la” the start menu for Mass Effect 3 was sitting on my gamepad screen. I loved it. It worked flawlessly, as long as I stayed with-in a respectable distance to the console. I did try to take it into my bedroom and I had audio cutting in and out and occasionally had the Wii gamepad tell me that I was too far from the console. This wasn't such a big deal, after all I was around twenty feet away and through two walls.
---
Recently converted PC gamer- Clevo P150EM, i7 3720QM, 680M, 16 gb DDR3, 128 MSATA, 750 HDD 7200rpm, Pollux 1612- from Mythlogic
#2Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 9:05:33 AM
The game itself, represents something of a sad story. I don't know if it is due to the fact that EA made the game, or if it is based upon the lack-luster ending that seems to fail in providing a sufficient amount of closure for the series, but Mass Effect 3 gets tons of hate. Before I purchased the game I was convinced that it is a poor-man's Mass Effect and thus not worth buying. I am coming to it late and the research I did prior to buying it almost turned me away. I'm glad I didn't turn away. The game is very well done and a blast to play.

I did play Mass Effect 1 and 2 on the xbox360 and I consider Mass Effect 2 to be one of the best games around. A huge negative with the Wii U version was that my character save file wouldn't transfer over. This is a large part of the appeal of the series. At the start of Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U, you get to watch a comic-book movie recapping all the events of Mass Effect 1 and 2. While watching the movie, you can choose your major decisions so they follow that story when you start playing Mass Effect 3. I loved this. I loved this so much, that I would argue that they should have added this to the other versions of the game. The reason is that when I played Mass Effect 2 on the xbox360, I barely remembered all of my character decisions I made in Mass Effect 1. I found that the idea of continuing my story was cool, but the actual implementation of it was less exciting and somewhat confusing. So when I started Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U, I not only got to choose my character's past decisions, I got to get a all inclusive retelling of the overall Mass Effect story line. I started Mass Effect 3 on point with the story and with a greater understanding of what was going on. I loved this.

The last thing I will say about Mass Effect 3, is that this game is a great science fiction action RPG. It gets way too much hate for either having a bad ending, being too actiony, or being a port on the Wii U and not an exclusive. I want to say that the game on it's own is a great game. It's a fun game, that has an intense story, beautiful graphics, and wonderful production values. The game feels as if you are playing in a fully realized world. It has some slight flaws, but honestly no more than any other great game, and I will not mention them because all of the flaws seem to be more about gamer preferences, and not substantial flaws. I hear people talk about how the Wii U doesn’t have many killer games, well for those of us who haven't played Mass Effect 3 before, this is one of the best games I've played in awhile.
---
Recently converted PC gamer- Clevo P150EM, i7 3720QM, 680M, 16 gb DDR3, 128 MSATA, 750 HDD 7200rpm, Pollux 1612- from Mythlogic
#3trenkenPosted 2/5/2013 9:20:26 AM
ME3 is awesome. It doesnt really do anything new, its a typical Bioware game (EA didnt make it, they are just the publisher), so its not all that different from games like KOTOR, or obviously the previous 2 ME's, but its still a very well made game and is a lot of fun. To me its actually the best game on the U.

I didnt think I would care about the off screen play but ive been using it more than I thought I would. Ill put the Knicks game on TV and listen to it while playing ME3 on the gamepad, sometimes pausing ME3 to watch the Knicks. I seem to be doing this a lot with sports lately and really is probably the most use ive gotten out of the U. I dont really need to watch every Knicks play so I get some ME3 in while the game is on.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#4Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 9:26:29 AM
Isn't that in of itself worth the money for a new console? I no longer ever have to choose again. I can hang with wife, watch sports, lay in bed and game. It has revolutionized my gaming
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#5Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 10:40:22 AM
Bump... What no one cares about non-doom threads on this board?
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#6jmichaelbpPosted 2/5/2013 10:43:29 AM
Voelger posted...
Bump... What no one cares about non-doom threads on this board?

Nope.
---
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls... it tolls for thee." - In memory of Chuck, the wisest boxcar hobo of all time from Telltale's The Walking Dead.
#7Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 10:49:15 AM
I love it!

The "I sold my wii u"" topic has more posts

The "wii u specs suck" topic has more posts

The "Wii U has no 3rd party support" has more posts

The .... You get my point!

I just wish more people actually cared about the great games on the system. Games like
Mario U
Mass effect 3
Trine 2
The cave
Call of duty
Darksiders 2
Assassins creed 3
Nintendoland
Batman armored edition
Madden
FIFA
Rayman legends
Monster hunter
Aliens colonial marines

And more to come
---
PowerFAQs 1.10
#8Oni_TaedoPosted 2/5/2013 10:51:20 AM
See trolls, this is proper feedback, done right.

On topic, I'm glad you enjoyed Mass Effect 3. I couldn't stand it, too much time spent hiding behind walls, and the story just didn't interest me.
---
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
Hit me up for a match, always looking for new sparring partners.
#9Voelger(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 10:55:07 AM
Oni, what games have you really enjoyed? I only own Mario and ME on wii u so far.

I am thinking of getting either
Trine 2- looks good, but worried about the story

Darksiders 2- this is the game I will probably get next

The cave- but it has no gamepad only play, major turn off
---
PowerFAQs 1.10
#10Rasputin77Posted 2/5/2013 10:59:24 AM(edited)
Sadly, every "non-doom" thread must also include ample discussion about doom threads and 'trolls', which... oddly enough, comprises 50% (EDIT: 44.4%... you're quick!) of the posts in this thread before mine. Good job, guys. ;)

Seriously though, and on-topic, glad you're enjoying it! I just picked up ME Trilogy, and I'm almost through (I think...) with ME2. I can't stop talking about it to my gaming friends who haven't played it. Hell, I'm an Astronomy nerd, so even taking the time to read the little factoids on each planet before going in to mine is entertaining. I'm VERY glad I held out until the trilogy, and simply can't wait to dive into ME3.

I also can't wait to see the ending so many people were pissing pants over.
---
GameFAQs defintion of 'White Knight': Someone who made you realize you can't handle valid points or honest opinions if they come from certain posters.