Can/could the Wii U run the HD experience Zelda demo?

#21ReggieFils_AimePosted 2/5/2013 1:44:02 PM
That demo was displaying the bare minimun of what the Wii U is capable of.
---
My body--MY BODY is ready!
#22PendragoonPosted 2/5/2013 2:15:42 PM
SirPierce posted...

Awesome pic, PENDRAG0ON.

Got it from right here on Gamefaqs, one of the best things about console wars are the pics that cone from them. I can't wait for everything to be in full swing and for the images to really start flying.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#23P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/5/2013 2:17:13 PM
ReggieFils_Aime posted...

I wouldn't say bare minimum, but it's close. The two demos were made for weaker underclocked devkits in about a weeks time. No optimization or tricks were used, just the power coming from a half as powerful Wii U prototype.

I understand your skepticism though, TC, with the competition constantly throwing out false numbers and showing PC footage while playing it off as "real-time" gameplay. However, Nintendo doesn't talk about their technical specifications and their demos are always weaker than what their systems are ultimately capable of. Long story short, it will surpass this. It may take time to familiarize themselves to the new architecture, but it can only get better.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece
#24ElectricMolePosted 2/5/2013 2:21:57 PM
we can only hope Aonuma sticks with that same graphic style and doesnt toon out the new Zelda.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, PSN: kronekodow7188
#25P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/5/2013 2:25:34 PM
ElectricMole posted...
we can only hope Aonuma sticks with that same graphic style and doesnt toon out the new Zelda.

They tend to go back and forth between "real" and "cartoon". With the last game being "cartoon" I expect this one to be "real" but I could be wrong.
---
#26DynheartPosted 2/5/2013 2:29:14 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
ReggieFils_Aime posted...

I wouldn't say bare minimum, but it's close. The two demos were made for weaker underclocked devkits in about a weeks time. No optimization or tricks were used, just the power coming from a half as powerful Wii U prototype.

I understand your skepticism though, TC, with the competition constantly throwing out false numbers and showing PC footage while playing it off as "real-time" gameplay. However, Nintendo doesn't talk about their technical specifications and their demos are always weaker than what their systems are ultimately capable of. Long story short, it will surpass this. It may take time to familiarize themselves to the new architecture, but it can only get better.

Pretty much this.

The demo looks great, had some neat effects (clean reflections on the floor/lighting effects). Not many jaggies. But they did say that was slammed together in a weekish, just to showcase the Wii U/Gamepad; all on an underclocked/not yet finalized Wii U hardware.

Not bad I'd say.

I'd bet there will be games that will look much better than that demo.
---
Currently suffering Final Fantasy XIII-2
#27DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/5/2013 3:09:17 PM
TBH, an overclocked GameCube could have run it. It'd only take, what, 2.5x the clockspeed?
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED
a high end card gets bg3 1080p maxed around 200fps ~The Q on BF3.
#28thetruesoraPosted 2/5/2013 3:13:31 PM
Board_hunter567 posted...
thetruesora posted...
I remember about 5 years back at E3 there was something about a demo shown on a console but it turned out they lied. I'm pretty sure it was for a FPS game like Gears Of War and they said it was shown on an Xbox 360 but it was actually shown using a PS3 or something like that.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but early 360 demos were actually running off of Macs (which was very similar to what the target specs for the 360 were).

that might be it. The main thing i remember is the video mentioning how it turned out they lied about it being shown on the 360 or whichever console was a clip from a game where a group of soldiers were in a vehicle travelling to a battle (wish i could be more detailed).
---
I love KH BBS, it's the reason I got a PSP and I don't regret it.
my 3DS Friend Code: 4468 - 0983 - 4236
#29P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/5/2013 3:22:55 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
TBH, an overclocked GameCube could have run it. It'd only take, what, 2.5x the clockspeed?

Lol, that is so horribly wrong.
---
#30DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/5/2013 3:30:29 PM(edited)
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Lol, that is so horribly wrong.

Did you see the demo? Shadows were done in 2 passes, 1 character shadow pass(identical to TP) and one texture shadow pass.(for scene-lighting, likely distorted textures) The only other shaders were very basic. Most of the detail was textured or geometric. It was also only in 720p.

It could, quite plainly, be done on the Twilight Princess engine, running on GameCube or Wii hardware. Since GameCube managed it at 60fps in similar scenes, it's logical to use that as a basis.
Though, in retrospect, what was the actual resolution of TP on GC? 360p? So it'd probably actually take a ~5x overclock of the GameCube, or a ~3x overclock of the Wii or less.
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED
a high end card gets bg3 1080p maxed around 200fps ~The Q on BF3.