What is this board's opinion of Miyamoto?

#1HejiruPosted 2/5/2013 8:24:05 PM
How do you feel about Shigeru Miyamoto? - Results (77 votes)
He's a genius; the greatest game designer of all time!
22.08% (17 votes)
He's made a few blunders recently, but he's still just as brilliant.
32.47% (25 votes)
These "blunders" are not blunders at all! People just whine too much nowadays.
10.39% (8 votes)
He was great once, but he's lost his touch. He needs to retire.
23.38% (18 votes)
He's definitely a good game designer, but I never really considered him "great"
10.39% (8 votes)
He is and always was an overrated hack! All his games suck!!!11one
1.3% (1 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'm just curious since opinions seem to be mixed since the anti-story crusade he's been on for the last few years.

Personally, I'm still mad at him for ruining what could have been an awesome Paper Mario game, but I'm not going to let that one incident outweigh the dozens of brilliant games he's made.
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#2ADHDguitarPosted 2/5/2013 8:26:37 PM
He's great.

inb4allthehate
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#3Beatperson14Posted 2/5/2013 8:28:03 PM
Hack

Nafter a bj
#4SegavsCapcomPosted 2/5/2013 8:30:14 PM
His views are now outdated, as shown by Sticker Star. Retirement for him would be for the best.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
#5AhnoldDoodPosted 2/5/2013 8:33:39 PM
To me, he's who he always was: a great man.

To this board, however, he's an evil demon who ruins every game he looks at (even though the "biggest" mistake people would bring up is not making Stick Star TTYD for the 3DS).
#6mini_blightPosted 2/5/2013 8:39:59 PM
SegavsCapcom posted...
His views are now outdated, as shown by Sticker Star. Retirement for him would be for the best.

Sticker Star is outselling all other Paper Mario games. Who's outdated now? lmao

Miyamoto wins.

Gameplay wins.

Anti-Miyamoto trolls and viral marketers lose.

Anti-Gameplay trolls LOSE.
#7ElectricMolePosted 2/5/2013 8:42:16 PM(edited)
He doesnt dream big or ambitiously anymore.

Other Japanese game directors who started out in the 1980s are making some edgy and ambitious games today, but Shiggy is like a pokemon who refuses to evolve.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, PSN: kronekodow7188
#8Sarick_LyrePosted 2/5/2013 8:46:35 PM
The Sticker Star thing wasn't purely Miyamoto's fault. Firstly there was a survey that they based their decision off which asked people what they enjoyed from Super Paper Mario in which barely anyone said they were interested in that particular game's story. That's faulty logic from the entire Paper Mario team.

There's also the fact that the most popular Japanese RPG is Dragon Quest which is notorious for skipping on story focus. Here in the west regarding Japense RPG's we've had much more fondness for Final Fantasy which was the heavily story focused alternative.

I'm not quite decided to where I think Miyamoto really sits, but I don't think any of us have any legitimate reason to begin judging or writing him off. People are making out that he's Nintendo's censorship demon or something. Honestly the vocal people of the internet really need to stop making a big deal out of every form of legitimate uncorrupt censorship.
#9Tsutarja495Posted 2/5/2013 8:50:04 PM
I think he is wonderful, and I don't even mind him saying no to a story in Paper Mario, since I don't care about story anyway. My only complaint about him recently is how he reacted to people wanting more F-Zero.
http://mynintendonews.com/2012/11/03/miyamoto-talks-f-zero/

As far as him stepping down to work on smaller projects, all I can say is that I look forward to what he can do with that.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/miyamoto-interview/
#10csalvi42Posted 2/5/2013 8:50:32 PM
hes the man, but sometimes he over-steps his authority into games he never had a mastery over. I'm thinking primarily of sm:SS but also a few other design choices. When he tries with games theyre usually classics.
---
White Version FC: 0991 1102 7167
Heart Gold FC: 4898 8264 5300