Weak sales of Nintendo Wii U game console may mean price cuts in near future

#11GEKGanonPosted 2/6/2013 6:45:55 AM
Considering Nintendo had hoped to ship 5.5 million by the end of March, I'd say 3 million thus far isn't horribly off their goal. And again, their goal was units shipped, not units sold.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#12Nate_DihldorffPosted 2/6/2013 6:46:43 AM
Super_Sora_232 posted...
rockymin posted...
KAMMYqueen posted...
3 millions in 3 months means weak sales? wow i need to go back to school or something i guess

They shipped 3 million, they only SOLD 1.9 million

if that is accurate the only number nintedo cares about is shipped because that is their sales.

Not necessarily, because retailers need compensation for all the product collecting dust in their warehouses/on their shelves.
---
Random GameFAQs user in regards to a used game: "No tutorial since its from GameStop."
#13CrithicusPosted 2/6/2013 6:49:06 AM
Don't know if its exactly the same in the US, but in the UK I just got a brand new basic for 182. That's down from the lowest pre-order price of around 229, though 230-250 was also common. Maybe not an official price cut, but the market made it cheap enough that I couldn't resist.

Wii U should do well enough in the end. Presumably Nintendo knows better than anyone that the original Wii's unprecedented success was a nice bonus, rather than the new norm.
#14PendragoonPosted 2/6/2013 7:11:08 AM
rockymin posted...
KAMMYqueen posted...
3 millions in 3 months means weak sales? wow i need to go back to school or something i guess

The 1.9 million was sold at the end of December, we still need complete numbers for January sales. (VG Chartz does not count)
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#15Super_Sora_232Posted 2/6/2013 2:09:04 PM
Nate_Dihldorff posted...
Super_Sora_232 posted...
rockymin posted...
KAMMYqueen posted...

if that is accurate the only number nintedo cares about is shipped because that is their sales.

Not necessarily, because retailers need compensation for all the product collecting dust in their warehouses/on their shelves.

why? and if retailers keep buying more why would nintendo care about amount sold?
#16SlimeSwayzePosted 2/6/2013 2:12:49 PM
Super_Sora_232 posted...
why? and if retailers keep buying more why would nintendo care about amount sold?

Retailers won't be ordering more if the actual number of consoles sold doesn't start to increase.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#17Bahamut_10thPosted 2/6/2013 2:13:12 PM
Pretty ridiculous article.

Not even a month ago Iwata already confirmed the Wii U will have no price cut.

He's probably not talking about 2 years from now when newer models and bundles come out, like how it happened to the Wii. But still, don't be delusional to think there will be a price-cut anytime until 2015.

Discounts =/= price cuts. Nintendo doesn't tells or prevents stores from doing sales or discounts. Because they already get paid before the stores even set their prices...
#18SlimeSwayzePosted 2/6/2013 2:29:59 PM
Bahamut_10th posted...
Pretty ridiculous article.

Not even a month ago Iwata already confirmed the Wii U will have no price cut.

He's probably not talking about 2 years from now when newer models and bundles come out, like how it happened to the Wii. But still, don't be delusional to think there will be a price-cut anytime until 2015.

Discounts =/= price cuts. Nintendo doesn't tells or prevents stores from doing sales or discounts. Because they already get paid before the stores even set their prices...

I'm not saying there will or won't be a price drop, but taking an executive for his word is pretty naive. These people are paid to lie.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#19NightDrifter05Posted 2/6/2013 2:30:02 PM
Why are people still talking about this old info that's not going to happen? CEO of Nintendo has already stated their will be no price cut in the foreseeable future. It isn't like it was with the 3DS where they were speculating about price cuts early on. Nintendo out right admitted they messed up with the game releases and that's exactly the reason it's not selling up to standards. If Nintendo put's out the game's people want then the Wii U is priced reasonably and WILL SALE.
#20diggyfreshPosted 2/6/2013 2:38:18 PM
SlimeSwayze posted...
Super_Sora_232 posted...

Retailers won't be ordering more if the actual number of consoles sold doesn't start to increase.

Yup. Wii U needs a system seller. And it needs it before consumers are exposed to the Wii U's competition.

And you're not entirely correct about retailers. They will order more, just not as many. The flow of systems will plateau. If it stays constant, that will be about 2 mil. per quarter consoles sold to consumers. That only adds up to about 8 mil. consoles sold.

Nintendo will have to stay sharp if they want to stay relevant.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade