Regarding Graphics and next Gen, how this affects games

#1phillukinPosted 2/6/2013 8:03:07 AM
I see a lot of discussion regarding graphics/hardware and the next gen systems. As someone who is in the graphic industry I would like to discuss my opinion on moving into the next gen.

The more power the systems have the more $$ it requires to develop assets for them. Creating a 15k polygon count model is significantly more time consuming and much harder then creating a 5k polygon count model. It also requires a more skilled and more expensive designer to create a higher poly count model then it would to create lower ones.

This then leads to shorter games, less features, and less polish. If developers had more time focusing on the actual games and spent more resources on gameplay I believe we would see great games. This generation i can't even count in my head how many games were left unfinished and in beta status just to be pushed out by their publishers for a quick buck. So I really don't blame nintendo for using this generations hardware (which we still suck at developing for, in a reasonable time frame) then upgrading to better hardware, it will keep development costs cheap and designers happier.
#2PendragoonPosted 2/6/2013 8:14:18 AM
It is why a lot of Japanese games are moving to handhelds.

Valkyria Chronicles sole 1 million units on PS3 and barely broke even. Valkyria Chronicles 2 sold 200k on the PSP and made quite a bit of money.

This example is why so many games for the PS3 and 360 are considered flops even after selling millions, but a handheld title can move 10% of their numbers and still make a tidy profit.

The few third party developers that embraced the Wii also made quite a bit of money, the dev costs were much lower, so even games that were considered sales flops were profitable.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#3VoelgerPosted 2/6/2013 8:15:35 AM
I completely agree with your post. I think that although we will probably lose some multiplatform games, and occasionally some developer will criticize the power on the U, I think the system will be cheaper to develop for and thus we will get great games.
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#4Super_ShadoPosted 2/6/2013 8:18:04 AM
Wiiusurance?
#5omescythePosted 2/6/2013 8:21:43 AM
heres something to think about these developer choosed to go all out on graphics. they don't have to push the system to the max. they choosed to do so. heres the thing about sales. there are a ton of games being made and its impossable for people to buy them all. people don't buy games they don't know exist. they don't buy games when don't have the money or the time to play them. can't get intrested in buying a game you know nothing about.
#6phillukin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 8:29:07 AM
Super_Shado posted...
Wiiusurance?

Would be if i owned a wii u or wii, I am pretty sure my statement applies to all consoles or developers who to decide to develop a game with inferior graphics. (btw graphics =/= art style)

exactly why games like tales of symphonia is FAR superior to final fantasy 13
#7pearl arowanaPosted 2/6/2013 9:08:24 AM
the problem is 3rd party seem to avoid wii u like a plague.. i mean why bother developing for wii u if you can develope same game on ps3 and 360 which obviously far easier and cheaper to develop since developer are already familiar with them. ps3 and 360 have bigger userbase to make more profit..

wii u version wont have anything special to offer due to its serious hardware limitation.. so why bother with wii u?? its already happening now if you open your eyes,,
---
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or abministrator]
#8DynheartPosted 2/6/2013 9:21:07 AM(edited)
I feel games, or most, will look like 360/PS3 models with better textures and slightly better animation. Make it with some fancy next gen effects, and with bigger scale, and call it next gen (around Watch Dog level, for an idea). This is what most developers will likely be able to afford.

Now, the AAA titles? Those will be a different story. BUT!, you wont be seeing these on a regular basis. One every 2 1/2 - 3 years from your AAA developers.

So what was a pretty even playing field in the 7th gen, regardless of budget. 8th gen? It's going to look like a PS3/360 game with some 8th gen effects slapped on it, all the way to actual 8th gen graphics. The graphical scale just got larger, IMO. Not to mention games will most likely cost more across the board.

My 2-cents.
---
Currently suffering Final Fantasy XIII-2
#9DynheartPosted 2/6/2013 9:20:14 AM
pearl arowana posted...
the problem is 3rd party seem to avoid wii u like a plague.. i mean why bother developing for wii u if you can develope same game on ps3 and 360 which obviously far easier and cheaper to develop since developer are already familiar with them. ps3 and 360 have bigger userbase to make more profit..

wii u version wont have anything special to offer due to its serious hardware limitation.. so why bother with wii u?? its already happening now if you open your eyes,,

The PS3 and 360 will quickly be dropped/no longer supported once the PS4 and 720 come out. 3rd party developers, if they so wish, will have no choice but to develop on the Wii U if they are forced to make a game with a lower budget.
---
Currently suffering Final Fantasy XIII-2