You guys know that neither the PS4 and the 720 will be "next-gen", right?

#11BigJon1448(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 9:06:01 AM
Chosen_one_41 posted...
I think I know what you mean now, people are calling the PS4 and 720 "next-gen" even though their generation has already started. That is because current gen always gets referred to as next-gen until the near the end of their cycle to sound better.

Understandable.

Threinfhir posted...
I though the Xbox 720 was 3rd gen and the PS4 is 4th gen!

Now I'm all sorts of confused...

^ If PS4 is more powerful than 720, then PS4 is gonna be 9th gen according to some of the people on this board.
---
If you loved the old GOOD wrestling games, give support:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/920076-wwe-day-of-reckoning
#12Chosen_one_41Posted 2/6/2013 9:24:06 AM
BigJon1448 posted...
If PS4 is more powerful than 720, then PS4 is gonna be 9th gen according to some of the people on this board.

That would be like saying you won a race by so much you came in 0th place. It doesn't work that way.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/chosen_one_41
If Friendship is Magic, does that mean Magic is Friendship?
#13vidalmorazaPosted 2/6/2013 9:26:15 AM
Chosen_one_41 posted...
BigJon1448 posted...
If PS4 is more powerful than 720, then PS4 is gonna be 9th gen according to some of the people on this board.

That would be like saying you won a race by so much you came in 0th place. It doesn't work that way.

Maybe not 9th gen, but by some people logic, if PS4 is more powerful than the 720, 720 is not next gen
---
XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: VidalukoVet
(most)This gen games: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/VIdaluko/DSC00631.jpg
#14_Sovereign_Posted 2/6/2013 9:37:49 AM
I understand what you're saying TC, but the fact of the matter is this : they are "next gen" currently because they are not out yet. Last gen's demise is on the horizon with very few titles left to release, current gen is in full swing, and the successors to last gen ( i.e. next gen) are not here yet.

It is simple common sense but people do abuse the terms to imply other forms of thought.
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#15ish0turfac3Posted 2/6/2013 9:51:50 AM
Chosen_one_41 posted...
I have no idea what your trying to say so I'll just state that the PS4 and 720 (lol 720, sounds silly) will be 8th generation because their previous iterations were 7th generation and 7 + 1 = 8

Confirmed for 14 year old.
---
GT: ish0turfac3 - Nintendo ID: ish0turfac3
\\//ulcan4life
#16CrysianiaPosted 2/6/2013 10:07:10 AM(edited)
The wii was same gen as ps3 and xbox360 despite being much weaker.

The xbox 360 was same gen as ps3 and wii despite coming out a year earlier.

I.e. ps4, 720 and wii u will all be in the same gen, (current gen) which it will likely be called "next gen" until the following gen gets talked about.
---
PSN - Sacred_Darksoul
#17kaiser ryuPosted 2/6/2013 10:17:54 AM
It's sort of how things have gone that new consoles are "next gen" until all runners are represented. When DC came out it was next gen and the PS2 a year later was, too. Then another year after that we got the last two next gen consoles and colloquial terminology then shifted to broadly referring to all of them as current gen. You're right that terms exist to be used properly, but in this case it's a strong argument to say that these terms are defined by majority rule. And the vox populi is stacked heavily against you.

It's not even a stretched usage to go about it under your own rules, either. It is true that 8th gen is current, but it is still the next big thing in gaming and will be for years. This industry moves at a glacial pace.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06
#18NarutoPosted 2/6/2013 10:26:10 AM
BigJon1448 posted...
I mean, what are the chances of the 9th gen beginning after the 8th JUST got started? Only an idiot would believe that they would get started on the 9th generation so quickly! The last gen systems are still out, but the current gen is only Wii U right now.

Apple is a game changer. It's been accelerated to the point that the third- and fourth-generation iPads were released in the same year. Time for the new next-gen.
#19Ryan SiPosted 2/6/2013 11:04:03 AM
So pathetic...
---
Most Wanted: Bit.Trip Runner 2 (PC), Final Fantasy X HD (PS4)
#20BuretsuPosted 2/6/2013 11:13:09 AM
PS4 and 720 are still only playing catch-up with PC, so I think people will probably be disappointed that their impossibly high standards won't be met.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit