Here's an interesting question...

#1STE573Posted 2/6/2013 11:59:50 AM
The Wii U is an 8th gen console. It is. But what about if Nintendo's next system comes in say 5 years, about 4 years in to the PS4/720 lifespan, is that then next gen again? Even if the PS5 etc are another 4 years off? Then what if all the console makers then make one around the same time again? In say 9 years? Is that Nintendo console of a generation greater than the respective competition or is the previous Nintendo console of a generation of it's own?

I had a hard time getting this in to words but I think ot makes sense.

Just a little thing I threw together for healthy debate.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- XSTE90X- currently playing Forza Horizon (360) Xcom (360) Gravity Rush (Vita) Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)
#2hellbringherPosted 2/6/2013 12:02:03 PM
They don't make candles like they used to
---
News - EA does not like the Wii U. Fanboy - good they are horrible anyway.
#3P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/6/2013 12:06:32 PM
I thought about that too. I think that console devs will start to wait for the others if it gets out of hand. Say, hypothetically, Nintendo wins this gen by a landslide and five years have passed since the U went on sale. Let's also say that the PS4 doesn't release until 2014. When the time comes for the next gen, will Nintendo go ahead and announce their Gen9 console? I don't think they would. There would be no point to if the U still holds a strong presence, so I believe they would continue working on their design while waiting for the right time to make their move.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece
#4zaakroPosted 2/6/2013 12:13:50 PM(edited)
If you want to get technical Nintendo just came out with their 6th generation console and sony is only on 3rd and Microsoft is 2nd. If Nintendo came out with a brand new home console next year that is replacing the Wii U then it will be their 7/9th generation console.

We don't lump cars all in the same generations and we don't lump phone either. So why do we lump video game consoles?
---
Some days don't you wish you could high five the sun
#5HozamaPosted 2/6/2013 12:12:06 PM
Half generation releases do happen, but they're usually add-ons rather than a full consol. The general release time of a gaming generation is based on 2 main factors: R&D and sales. R&D tales several years of work, analizing weaknesses and speaking to developers and consumers. Once that is done, and the new hardware is ready, they watch the sales and release when everything is slowing down. It just so happens that all this happens every 5-7 years, regardless of the companies efforts.
#6STE573(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 12:16:20 PM
Good point Panda. I did think this was an option, the only reason I omitted it from the OP was because the Wii U came out first and I didn't think a long gen was an option for Nintendo given previous trends. But it's an interesting option, it could mean the Wii U is on the market for a decade at upper estimates from myself.

What do you think if Nintendo does have a between PS4/5 console (just using for timing reference)? I think this is the more likely option to be honest, don't really have a reason why.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- XSTE90X- currently playing Forza Horizon (360) Xcom (360) Gravity Rush (Vita) Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)
#7STE573(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 12:20:13 PM
zaakro posted...
If you want to get technical Nintendo just came out with their 6th generation console and sony is only on 3rd and Microsoft is 2nd. If Nintendo came out with a brand new home console next year that is replacing the Wii U then it will be their 7/9th generation console.

We don't lump cars all in the same generations and we don't lump phone either. So why do we lump video game consoles?

Interesting take, most people tend to take console generations as a timing thing, not power or respective console to hit production within a manufacturer. So you think that if my OP is correct we will see the the PS5 etc being penned as 10th gen consoles then?
---
Im British!
#8P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/6/2013 12:25:31 PM
zaakro posted...

Nintendo has actually participated in every generation. Their Gen1 product was called the "Color TV Game" series and their Gen2 product was the "Game & Watch" series.
---
#9GEKGanonPosted 2/6/2013 12:26:50 PM
I don't understand why "console generations" are measured by processing power. They always release within the same 1-2 year period and share corresponding lifecycles, so it seems like that would be the measurement. I mean, weren't the PS1 and N64 thrown together in the same console generation? How does that work?
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#10P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/6/2013 12:31:42 PM
GEKGanon posted...
I don't understand why "console generations" are measured by processing power. They always release within the same 1-2 year period and share corresponding lifecycles, so it seems like that would be the measurement. I mean, weren't the PS1 and N64 thrown together in the same console generation? How does that work?

Gaming, and all generations for that matter, are based solely on time. Not performance or power.
---