how would you feel if the PS4 is announced to be 399$

#41IcecreamdunwichPosted 2/6/2013 7:06:16 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
PS3 is most likely going to outsell the Wii by the end of this generation. Sony made a long term investment, something Nintendo fanboys don't seem to understand for whatever reason.

Well, they convinced my fanboy ass to buy a PS3, so they must have been doing something right.

The Wii was more of a, "make a ton of money right nao" thing, but it burned out while the PS3 got stronger.

Still, games. Games are fun. Console wars are not.

Yep, honestly I think PS3 won the generation as far as "best console library" too. Wii had some games too, and 360 had like... 3
#42StriderNemesisPosted 2/6/2013 7:11:58 PM
As soon as this announcement happens, Nintendo better think about dropping the WiiU's price immediately.
#43NewbiusPosted 2/6/2013 7:15:36 PM
I think that is fairly reasonable for a launch price, but I wont be getting the console at launch
#44Paulf001Posted 2/6/2013 7:17:14 PM
The rumored PS4 specs are not top of the line PC by any means. AMD cpu 1.6ghz 8 core, with built in radeon graphics based on R10XX laptop gpu. Their off the shelf PC components used in the system will bring down the price.

We are seeing a low-mid range cpu and gpu components in the PS4. However since the system doesn't have to run a constant OS like Windows it can preform better playing games.

The best of the best cpu is a intel i7 6 core 3.5ghz which sells for $1080 and the best video card is a gtx 690 which sells for $1000.

PS4 isn't using current top of the line parts thats for sure.
#45darkjedilinkPosted 2/6/2013 7:17:40 PM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
darkjedilink posted...

No, the PS3 is NOT profitable. It's currently selling at a loss due to all the retooling required for the Super Slim. Even if it was profiting now, it's still caused tens of billions of dollars in losses since R&D began, that they are nowhere near recovering. Considering Sony's currently selling more systems than ever, there's no reason to drop the price, and tens of billions of reasons not to.

Each unit sold is making Sony money over production cost at wholesale prices, and it isn't just a few dollars like it was with the slim. Sony will never make back the billions they lost with the PS3, it drained all the PS1&2 profits in 3 short years, but they have a positive flow of money now, something that they never had before with the PS3.

The whole reason the price went up instead of down with the super slim was the difficulties in moving the RSX to 22nm on a large scale. Once that happens a price drop will follow.

Per-unit costs dropped, yes, by a small margin, but that savings is countered by the costs to retool everything to make it, going far beyond die process.

Again, the system is moving fine now. Between that fact and the fact that they're selling real estate to pay long-standing debt, there's absolutely no reason to drop the price.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#46P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/6/2013 7:24:04 PM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
OtakuGamera posted...
The point is you didn't have to buy both things. And power means nothing in the long run anyway.

Also, the Wii U is sold at a loss. It isn't overpriced.

this is not a debate on whether power is important

and it was reportedly sold at a loss, but who knows whether it's real.

Using their financial report it was worked out to a $21 loss per unit average. Retailers pay well under MSRP because Nintendo always gives retailers large margins, and with the 3DS price drop still on retailers minds, you know retailers demanded some protection on wholesale prices. (especially after the 3DS margins came out, 101 to build, sold to retailers at 160, 250 msrp at launch)

I knew I had that number wrong. Also, retailers stated that they themselves saw $80 of the 3DS profits during that time.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece
#47diggyfreshPosted 2/6/2013 7:30:24 PM
What if it's going to cost more than $428?
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#48PendragoonPosted 2/6/2013 7:41:27 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
PENDRAG0ON posted...
OtakuGamera posted...
The point is you didn't have to buy both things. And power means nothing in the long run anyway.

Also, the Wii U is sold at a loss. It isn't overpriced.

this is not a debate on whether power is important

and it was reportedly sold at a loss, but who knows whether it's real.

Using their financial report it was worked out to a $21 loss per unit average. Retailers pay well under MSRP because Nintendo always gives retailers large margins, and with the 3DS price drop still on retailers minds, you know retailers demanded some protection on wholesale prices. (especially after the 3DS margins came out, 101 to build, sold to retailers at 160, 250 msrp at launch)

I knew I had that number wrong. Also, retailers stated that they themselves saw $80 of the 3DS profits during that time.

It may have been 168, or 158, not 100% on that one. (it was below the current MSRP, I know that much) With the price drop Nintendo let them keep their margins, which is what led to their loss. It was probably a bulk payout. Then renegotiations occurred and the 3DS should have been profitable again as soon as Nintendo started shipping more.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#49XinundraPosted 2/6/2013 7:51:58 PM
You know what, Sony could make the PS4 cost around 400. Remember what they did with the Vita.. Announce the system to be around 250 ish give or take and everyone was like "oh what a cheap price with all those power". After we finally got the detail from Sony that it require a sony brand memory card which cost 50+. So yes Sony could make the PS4 costing around 400, but will there be any extra require to have items?
---
NNID: Huynhs
#50JKatarnPosted 2/6/2013 7:55:17 PM
OtakuGamera posted...
I don't see why anybody would say they feel ripped off by something's price. You don't have to buy it.

As for my answer, no, I wouldn't. I'd seriously question their logic at such a suicidal move. They already made the Vita "not profitable for three years" why would they also do that with a console?

hey if i buy a product for the same price that i could get for a similar product that is 5x more powerful, i would feel kinda ripped off

It's not all about sheer power, if there are no games that take advantage of said power in a meaningful way, it's pointless. Also, there's the fact that you'd have the Wii-U for Nintendo exclusives. I don't current own a Wii-U but I'm sure I'll want one a year or two down the road when a big first-party exclusive or two drops (and hopefully some of the more serious system bugs will be ironed out at that point).
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES