Rayman Legends going multiplat raises questions about game mechanics

#1sejan12Posted 2/7/2013 11:13:48 AM
In October of last year, Chris McEntee, Ubisoft designer stated that the reason that Rayman Legends was going to be exclusive was because the other systems didn't have a second screen. Here is his quote.

“Well, technically we could to it with SmartGlass [for Xbox 360] and with the Vita being linked to the PlayStation 3. The possibility could be there, but we chose to really focus on Wii U specifically because it has a special toolset, and because everyone that buys it gets what they need to play the game.”

“We don’t want to have the player dependent on other technology that they have to purchase to make sure they can play the full experience. Here you buy the Wii U system, you buy the game, and you can experience all of the content without extras. And we didn’t want to give somebody half of the experience just for the sake of getting it out on another console. We want the player to get everything that we have to offer them from this game.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/10/08/ubisoft-explains-why-rayman-legends-is-exclusive-to-wii-u/

The question that I have is that this is still going to be a problem with the PS360. It seems to me that there are only 2 possible outcomes with this issue:

1. Rayman Legends requires the player to have a second device in order to play the game. This would seriously hurt the sales on other platforms. The XBox version would take a lesser hit because most people have a tablet of some form these days, but the PS3 version would be terrible because the Vita still hasn't really caught on. This solution would have an added difficulty of increased latency on these consoles. Presumably, the Smartglass and Vita options would have to run through the Wifi router offering a small level of increased latency that wouldn't be present on the WiiU version.

2. Rayman Legends has the second screen functionality gutted. This option seems likely to me because it is the easier of the two. It worries me because part of what interested me about the game was the ways to interact with the second screen. It is possible that these parts may be retained on the Wii U version, but to include them on the PS360 without the second screen functionality would completely change the mechanics.

There is a big part of me that worries about this game after this announcement. Adding 7 months of development time to simply port it to other consoles seems pretty big. I fear that this game is going to be completely different as a result of this decision.
#2AwayFromHerePosted 2/7/2013 11:16:13 AM(edited)
Just remove the character.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#3jmichaelbpPosted 2/7/2013 11:16:12 AM
I think Ubi confirmed those parts will be in the U version but they will not be in the other versions.
---
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls... it tolls for thee." - In memory of Chuck, the wisest boxcar hobo of all time from Telltale's The Walking Dead.
#4GimeaPosted 2/7/2013 11:17:48 AM(edited)
The Wii U mechanics were just touching stuff to move it away. That's pretty easy to map to a, let's say, a button which you have to smash.
---
The new Minecraft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFKlNskaRPU
#5FenderMasterPosted 2/7/2013 11:17:54 AM
NSMBU would work just as well without that boost mode gimmick, Rayman will too.
---
http://www.jvp-boston.org
#6hrodwulfPosted 2/7/2013 11:18:18 AM
Worse still is that they said the other versions will have other features they can't talk about right now. More levels? Online multiplayer? Obviously if those are excluded from the Wii U, fans are going to be more than mad.
#7sejan12(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:21:16 AM
On another note, I worry that the game may have to be scaled down a little for the PS360.

Here's a quote from the lead designer:
“The hardware is powerful and we haven’t had any limitations. Visually, because we’ve had more time with the UbiArt engine, we were able to add a lot of depth to the graphics. You can especially see it in the backgrounds. There are more layers, more details; it feels more like a landscape. We’ve also done a lot with the lighting effects, both in gameplay and graphics.”
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/01/12/rayman-legends-lead-designer-wii-u-hardware-is-powerful-and-we-havent-had-any-limitations-with-it/

Several article quotes the creators as praising the high amounts of memory.
http://wiiudaily.com/2012/09/rayman-legends-praises-wii-u/

The devs also implied that some of the improvements from Origins to Legends may not have been possible on the PS360.
“What surprises me with Wii U is that we don’t have many technical problems. It’s really running very well, in fact. We’re not obliged to constantly optimize things. Even on the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions [of Origins], we had some fill-rate issues and things like that. So it’s partly us – we improved the engine – but I think the console is quite powerful. Surprisingly powerful. And there’ a lot of memory. You can really have huge textures, and it’s crazy because sometimes the graphic artist – we built our textures in very high-dentition. They could be used in a movie. Then we compress them, but sometimes they forget to do the compression and it still works! [Laughs] So yeah, it’s quite powerful. It’s hard sometimes when you’re one of the first developers because it’s up to you to come up with solutions to certain problems. But the core elements of the console are surprisingly powerful.

“And because we’re developing for Wii U, we don’t have to worry about cross-platform optimization.

“We can push what the console can do; push it to its limits. And of course, we have a new lighting engine. In fact, the game engine for Origins was mostly just classic sprites in HD, but now we can light them and add shadows and all these things. So there is some technical innovation with the engine itself. “

http://nintendoeverything.com/101943/rayman-creator-wii-u-surprisingly-powerful-legends-using-new-lighting-engine/

They promised higher resolution textures, a new lighting engine, more layers, more depth. This is particularly troubling because the biggest thing holding the PS360 back at the moment is memory. I fear that we are going to get an inferior game because of a push for multiplat.
#8SS4_NamreppivPosted 2/7/2013 11:35:07 AM
PS360 ports being inferior? Ports being gutted? Oh the horror, the shame. lol
---
"I tried one of your dishes once. I truly believed a part of my soul died."~Dunban