This is indeed a bad time for Nintendo.

#1SakurafanboyPosted 2/7/2013 3:38:45 PM
I was very hyped for the Wii U, had pre-ordered it the day pre-orders became available and went for the Deluxe bundle. I was stoked for this since I've been a fan of Nintendo since I was a young kid. However, Nintendo's since lost their way I feel. The resounding success of the Wii has made them feel like gods of the industry, that no matter what they do, they're going to be at #1. Which, obviously, is not true. The PlayStation 2 murdered the GameCube. Absolutely murdered it.

Then we move onto the Wii, it was #1 in sales, but that's because it was relying on innovation to sell it and casuals ate it up -- not the hardcores. I know I got at least 30-35 already released PlayStation 3 games I want to pick up, along with all the coming soon games like GOW: Ascension, Last of Us, etc. Then I look at the Wii and there's only maybe 5 or 6 games I want. All of which are just 1st party Nintendo games. None from 3rd party companies.

The Wii U seems like its also heading in that direction of a person really only buys the Wii U for things like Zelda, Smash Bros, and Mario. Yes, those are all great and classic series, but that won't keep pushing them to be the overall generational winner. Especially if Smash Bros is just Brawl 2.0 which left sour tastes in gamers' mouths.

As I stated I bought the Deluxe Wii U on launch day, but I have yet to use it past that first launch week. I haven't even started ZombiU because I felt no desire to. I spent most of that week on DK's Crash Course, which is fun, yes, but a person needs variety and by variety I mean more than year old leftovers from PlayStation 3 and XBox 360 (Mass Effect 3 and Batman Arkham City come to mind).

What also has been hurting Nintendo is they're trying to compete with PlayStation 3 and XBox 360 knowing full well their successors are just around the corner. Nintendo needs to compete with those, not the past generation consoles. If they don't rework the Wii U, it'll be like the Wii with developers skipping it over because of having to manually downgrade games and add gimmicky features. Touchscreen is nice, but we have 3DS for that. Selling 2 consoles with the same selling point is suicidal. You're competing with yourself which you never want to do.

If the controller was optional, that'd be fine, but it isn't. Its mandatory. Its what killed the Wii for developers, its what will kill the Wii U. I still love my Wii U, I just wish Nintendo had planned this out better and talked to developers and see what they (and their fans) want. They really need to open their ears and listen to complaints and ideas and not lock themselves away and think they're right all the time. If they don't more situations like Rayman Legends and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge will happen.

So please, Nintendo, listen to your 3rd parties and your fans. Go back to what you used to be, to what made you a household name. We love you as a company, but you've been in a tangled web lately.
---
Team Gracidea - We live to love!
Proud fan of all that is Shaymin!
#2IIICE_COLDPosted 2/7/2013 3:51:59 PM
I think Nintendo will be fine... I'm really attracted to Nintendo only for their exclusives at this point too, but it's also a plus that they can possibly go up to 1080p HD. What they really need to do is stop making so many childish little spinoff party type games for their main characters like Mario and really just concentrate more on his main series of games. Then they can spawn characters out from Mario and Donkey Kong's main games into full length 3-d platformers. They've already given many Mario associated characters their own games like Luigi, Wario and Yoshi. But alot of these games have NOT been 3D platforming games and they all didn't seem to have a solid connection to the overall Mario legacy or story. They didn't seem to add depth to the universe. The classic styled 3D platforming style is best where your goal is collect either stars of jiggys.

But in addition to concentrating on their main series' main games more, and giving them good online play, they should create or revive brand new 3D platforming games so there's more reasons to buy a Nintendo other than Zelda, Mario, Super Smash Brothers, Donkey Kong (if they even make any), Metroid, etc.
---
XBL GT: IIICE KOLD (Formerly known as IIICE COLD)
#3Sakurafanboy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 3:57:31 PM
IIICE_COLD posted...
I think Nintendo will be fine... I'm really attracted to Nintendo only for their exclusives at this point too, but it's also a plus that they can possibly go up to 1080p HD. What they really need to do is stop making so many childish little spinoff party type games for their main characters like Mario and really just concentrate more on his main series of games. Then they can spawn characters out from Mario and Donkey Kong's main games into full length 3-d platformers. They've already given many Mario associated characters their own games like Luigi, Wario and Yoshi. But alot of these games have NOT been 3D platforming games and they all didn't seem to have a solid connection to the overall Mario legacy or story. They didn't seem to add depth to the universe. The classic styled 3D platforming style is best where your goal is collect either stars of jiggys.

But in addition to concentrating on their main series' main games more, and giving them good online play, they should create or revive brand new 3D platforming games so there's more reasons to buy a Nintendo other than Zelda, Mario, Super Smash Brothers, Donkey Kong (if they even make any), Metroid, etc.

I'll be the first to say I'd be down for a sequel to Donkey Kong 64. I loved those style of games and they've been absent for way too long if you ask me. I loved Donkey Kong Country Returns, but as a 2D platformer it was just mixed with Kirby, Mario, Rayman, and so forth. Nintendo does need to take risks, but not with forcing a controller on fans and developers that was never asked for.

I'd like Nintendo to make a standard controller. Yes, it could have motion sensing like what Sony's DualShock 3 used to boast, but don't make it the main focus of it. Have it be a secondary feature that if a game would benefit from it, use it, if not ignore it and no harm done. I would think then with a slightly more powerful machine the 3rd parties would flock to Nintendo.

Just don't make it so 3rd parties have to manually rework every game of theirs if they want it on a Nintendo platform. That is really the big killer for Nintendo. They're trying way too hard to be innovative.
---
Team Gracidea - We live to love!
Proud fan of all that is Shaymin!