Not even the Dreamcast had this much flack from developers

#41kissdadookiePosted 2/12/2013 10:37:52 AM
MechaKoopa5000 posted...
It saddens me to say it, but this is the first system I bought that actually really does seem "doomed". Even with all the hate the 3DS got, I never believed it was in danger. It just had a slow start and I saw that. With Wii U, it actually *feels* like it's not going to get better. Nintendo'll sprinkle their exclusives here and there, but it's not going to be enough.

You know what people hated about the Wii? The fact that after developers gave up around 2008-2009, there were only like 3-4 worthwhile games for the system spread out over the course of an entire year between 2009-2012. It's kind of horrible that that's how Wii U is beginning it's life.

Nah, first time I felt that was when I bought a N64. Then the GC felt like gaming gold but that thing turned out to be like a DreamCast (great games, not so great in adoption). Wii I felt should have just died but that Wii Fit and Wii Sports was minting money for Nintendo but as a gamer, it wasn't a very good gaming console. I'm hoping that the Wii U turns out to be like the GC though, it started out of the gates feeling like GC redux and I hope that it will turn out to be like the second coming of the GC.

As for the 3DS, it's kind of disconcerting how little 3rd party support that system is receiving but games like Fire Emblem solidifies the system in my eyes as a good system though quite possibly the last of its kind (I do not foresee Nintendo being able to bring out another dedicated handheld, the market does not feel like it's there any more).
#42kissdadookiePosted 2/12/2013 10:43:31 AM
pokemonfreak97 posted...
pearl arowana posted...
at dreamcast have the power to compete with the competition

wii u is about ps3 and 360 level.. hence why most developer dnt bother to develop their games on it,... sad

Nintendo's last 2 consoles (Wii U and Wii) haven't been about being able to display a super-duper-ultra-mega-high-quality picture. It's been about gameplay. If that doesn't sell anymore, then it's not Nintendo I should feel sorry for. It's humankind.

How has the Wii proven itself on the gameplay aspect of the system apart from Wii Fit and Wii Sports? The thing was essentially a Wii Fit/Wii Sports box and sold so well due to that, not because it was a video games innovation. The Wii didn't sell on the merits of Mario and Zelda seeing how the numbers those games sold consists only a fraction of the total 90+ million install base. The "innovations" for the controls were also pretty much useless (why the heck does DKC Returns force us to shake the controller to execute a stomp and a roll?!? WHY?!? a button for such actions would have been much more enjoyable, Skyward Sword also didn't become great due to motion controls, it was good because it was a good Zelda game and wouldn't have lost any of its charm even if it used traditional controls).

How is the Wii U proving to be an innovation in gameplay controls? It's a solution to a problem that really does not exist. ZombiU makes the best case for the secondary screen in a game but even that game could easily be done without losing much if any of it's charms using traditional controls.
#43ish0turfac3Posted 2/12/2013 10:45:01 AM
Uh.. what devs?
---
GT: ish0turfac3 - Nintendo ID: ish0turfac3
\\//ulcan4life
#44itsmeaustinPosted 2/12/2013 10:46:18 AM(edited)
Spoiler alert: Sega didn't drop out of the race because Dreamcast sales
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk
#45kissdadookiePosted 2/12/2013 10:48:13 AM
itsmeaustin posted...
Spoiler alert: Sega didn't drop out of the race because Dreamcast sales

They didn't, they dropped out of the race because even as great as the Dreamcast was, it couldn't recover them from 3 successive major financial failures (Sega CD, 32x, and Saturn).
#46SlimeSwayzePosted 2/12/2013 10:48:20 AM
I expect the Wii U will be very similar to the N64, which as I remember had the worst 3rd party support of any Nintendo console, in terms of quantity and quality. For those of us who have other systems or a PC, it shouldn't be a problem. I do, however, feel bad for those who bought the Wii U and don't have anything else to game on.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#47NewbiusPosted 2/12/2013 10:50:49 AM
pearl arowana posted...

wii u is about ps3 and 360 level.. hence why most developer dnt bother to develop their games on it,... sad

The DreamCast was weaker then the PS2. It was not up to power with the other consoles so stop lieing.
#48kissdadookiePosted 2/12/2013 10:51:42 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...
I expect the Wii U will be very similar to the N64, which as I remember had the worst 3rd party support of any Nintendo console, in terms of quantity and quality. For those of us who have other systems or a PC, it shouldn't be a problem. I do, however, feel bad for those who bought the Wii U and don't have anything else to game on.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm still hoping for a return of the GC with the Wii U.

As for lack of games to play, it can't possibly be worse than the Wii where the quantity was there but it was practically mostly shovelware.
#49kissdadookiePosted 2/12/2013 10:52:56 AM
Newbius posted...
pearl arowana posted...

The DreamCast was weaker then the PS2. It was not up to power with the other consoles so stop lieing.

The Dreamcast was at least a generational jump from the PS1 and N64, it was just underpowered compared to the PS2 but honestly not by much. It's not the same as comparing the Wii U to the PS420 where there is a generational gap between the hardware.
#50CyborgTwentyPosted 2/12/2013 12:39:47 PM
dreamcast was a masterpiece that failed because of sega previous mistakes.