Rayman exclusivity cancelled due to poor sales CONFIRMED

#21mjc0961Posted 2/7/2013 5:46:56 PM
Helmsly2008 posted...
Baha05 posted...
So in other words Ubisoft is run by idiots?

I don't see what is so idiotic about this. The Wii U hasn't sold as well as they had hoped and as a result, Ubisoft don't see how Rayman can sell enough copies on the Wii U to turn a profit. The only thing they can do is make it a multiplatform release to compensate for that.

Its actually good business sense in a situation like this.

It's not good business sense at all to piss off a bunch of customers who were about to buy the game in less than three weeks with a surprise 7 month delay, and it's not good business sense at all to move the launch of your game from a month that was almost completely barren for new releases to a month that kicks off the most crowded release period of the year, especially when that month contains one of the most anticipated games of this year and likely to be the second best selling game of the year, GTA V.

Good business sense would have been releasing the Wii U version on the 26th as planned while QUIETLY working on the PS3 and 360 ports. Then sometime in March or April after most the Wii U fans who wanted to buy the game have already done so and thus can't get their money back, announce that the game is going multiplatform. And good business sense would be shooting for July or August, not September so it can get crushed by GTA V. And good business sense would have been releasing the game for $40 to compensate for the likely drop in the Wii U version price by then and because remembering that sometimes you make more money selling more copies for a lower price than you do selling less copies for a higher price.

Honestly, the loss of Wii U exclusivity isn't the outrageous part of this at all. It's the pointless delay to a month where your game is pretty much doomed to fail.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#22SoaringDivePosted 2/7/2013 5:49:26 PM
shaunme posted...
DeathSoul2000 posted...
shaunme posted...
Baha05 posted...
So in other words Ubisoft is run by idiots?

a company decides to not make a game exclusive to a system that has about 3million owners but instead makes it availabe over millions of systems, who's the idiot?.

them.

ITT: a company making more money are idiots.

It's not making more money. It's making no money. It could have been making money, but instead they arbitrarily pushed a game to when GTA V comes out (remember, Rayman Origins had a price drop almost immediately because it performed so bad).

A February release would have been good, no competition. Now it'll be like Rayman Origins, with sales picking up when it hit $20.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#23shaunme(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 5:49:32 PM
Baha05 posted...
shaunme posted...
ITT: a company making more money are idiots.

Yes considering they are delaying one version several moths just to squeeze out two more versions. Hell even Aliens wasn't that stupid in holding back the PS3/360 version just so the Wii U version could be released at once.

they maybe making changes to the game, nobody knows.
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb ram // 3x MSI GTX 680 sli // 1tb HD//W8pro//NNID shaunme1//PSN poselecta//XBL CursiveA//STEAM shaunmelwell//
#24Helmsly2008Posted 2/7/2013 5:55:41 PM(edited)
Baha05 posted...
Helmsly2008 posted...
I don't see what is so idiotic about this. The Wii U hasn't sold as well as they had hoped and as a result, Ubisoft don't see how Rayman can sell enough copies on the Wii U to turn a profit. The only thing they can do is make it a multiplatform release to compensate for that.

Its actually good business sense in a situation like this.

It's idiotic because by doing this they pissed on the fanbase that would either buy a Wii U for the game or have bought one for the game by pushing one version back. If say they released the game on time and then released the PS3/360 versions in September then there wouldn't be an issue.

In fact doing it this way makes you wonder if the game is even close to being finished. as that's roughly 7 months after the initial release on the Wii U.

I think Its pretty clear that this is a emergency decision from Ubisoft, that's been made because of the Wii U sales. You can't really blame them for trying to get some profit out of a bad situation like this.

They've seen that they can't possibly make the profit off this game with the Wii U they originally thought they would, so they decided to make it multiplatform.

The problem is that it will take a few months to port and that by the time its released, it will have to be advertised all over again, which adds more money to the games budget. So they've pushed the Wii U's release date back inline with the 360/ps3 version to avoid advertising it twice.
#25Baha05Posted 2/7/2013 5:59:19 PM
Helmsly2008 posted...
I think Its pretty clear that this is a emergency decision from Ubisoft, that's been made because of the Wii U sales. You can't really blame them for trying to get some profit out of a bad situation like this.

They've seen that they can't possibly make the profit off this game with the Wii U they originally thought they would, so they decided to make it multiplatform.

The problem is that it will take a few months to port and that by the time its released, it will have to be advertised all over again, which adds more money to the games budget. So they've pushed the Wii U's release date back inline with the 360/ps3 version to avoid advertising it twice.

It's stupid on their part still to piss off consumers waiting on this game. See this is an issue with newer consoles and 3rd party devs. They want to wait and see and when sales aren't up to par they want to still wait and see instead of releasing actual games.

Making it multiplatform is fine but it brings in a few issues, mainly not releasing the Wii U version first and releasing them all around the timeframe GTA V comes out is going to do more harm then good. And even then by releasing it now they could gain money overtime from hardcore fans and people buying the game.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#26LatebrakerPosted 2/7/2013 6:01:54 PM
It's a wise decision for a company that's in the business to make money, not make little friends. Judging from past history (see the Wii), this game will sell ten times less on the Nintendo console despite the huge install base from which Nintendo benefited. With the Wii U selling poorly and an existing user base on PS3 and Xbox 360, porting this game to the other two consoles is the only sane decision in this case.
#27blazeUP12Posted 2/7/2013 6:10:41 PM
Ambassador program please
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
#28cavebear56Posted 2/7/2013 6:13:11 PM
ElectricKaibutu posted...
Nobody cares that it's not exclusive. We care about a seven month unnecessary delay.

This.

It is objectively a terrible business move. No surprise the TC and the rest of the school dropout patrol have difficulty grasping this.

Disregarding entry level business courses, it is just common sense. The product started off as an "exclusive" which consumers had been given info on a release and expectations. Now they backpeddled and have a product that could for all intents and purposes be finished.

That is to say unless they're using it as an excuse for the possibility that they failed at meeting a deadline, then it comes off as shady and unqualified.

Trolls will be trolls though (as the TC and the rest of Kids Incorporated prove time and time again) " Mario needs to be multiplat!" into "lol another game not exclusive to system X lol!".

Regardless, this isn't a game I was looking forward to but they once again prove (much like the troglodytes on this board) some of the worse aspects of humanity.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#29shaunme(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 6:24:14 PM
blazeUP12 posted...
Ambassador program please

this.or Iwata seppuku.
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb ram // 3x MSI GTX 680 sli // 1tb HD//W8pro//NNID shaunme1//PSN poselecta//XBL CursiveA//STEAM shaunmelwell//