Word from one of the Rayman Legends Devs

#21HerPandaPosted 2/7/2013 8:11:54 PM
Virus66 posted...
Terotrous posted...
Well this pretty much confirms that you can't support this move without looking like a jerk now.

Mhm. Pretty much

You can buy the game after a price drop/used, and send the devs a $20 dinner gift card / chocolates. It's not much, and can't be shared really...but I'm sure they'll appreciate the thought.

....still going to buy this game eventually though.
#22darkjedilinkPosted 2/7/2013 8:13:33 PM
WingedRegent posted...
Well this pretty much confirms that you can't support this move without looking like a jerk now.

If legit, then yeah, but on the other hand, as mentioned earlier, supporting the game also supports the devs who worked on it, and we've seen time and again lately how a game not selling results in the developers losing their jobs rather than any repercussions on the publisher. Makes the publisher look bad, sure, but it's still a working publisher in some fashion. Hell, out of the whole thing with THQ, the real victims there were the devs, and specifically, Vigil and the Darksiders Team.

Unfortunately, you cannot support the devs without supporting the move, since supporting the devs gives Ubisoft the money, not the devs. As such, you're supporting Ubisoft's middle finger to the devs AND us.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#23AsuirPosted 2/7/2013 8:22:39 PM
Virus66 posted...
elheber posted...
F***ing Ubisoft. They're one of the few big publishers I actually like. I hate it when fans and developers get the short end most of all. I often buy games just because I like the developers as people. HVS games, WayForward games, etc. only based on the developer's love for making games. It hurts me to see this enthusiasm destroyed.

yep, it's hard to support the developers only when you know the publisher is the one you are really supporting in this case...

Why? They're paid to make games for a living. They know what the costs are.

While I may feel bad they didn't see their families for six months, you have to realize that this isn't just them. Every developer is often under the same pressure. This isn't some unique case. The only thing unique about it is that a developer actually posted how he felt and is probably going to get fired.
---
Ftw!
#24OzzieArcanePosted 2/7/2013 8:36:33 PM
Virus66 posted...
Terotrous posted...

Mhm. Pretty much

Of course knowing Ubisoft if we don't support this release they'll use it as an excuse not to release Beyond Good & Evil 2. Since they like to just randomly hold that ransom and say "Buy our crap!"
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com
#25Board_hunter567Posted 2/7/2013 8:42:22 PM
OzzieArcane posted...
Of course knowing Ubisoft if we don't support this release they'll use it as an excuse not to release Beyond Good & Evil 2. Since they like to just randomly hold that ransom and say "Buy our crap!"

Yep.
#26WingedRegentPosted 2/7/2013 8:53:03 PM
WingedRegent posted...
If legit, then yeah, but on the other hand, as mentioned earlier, supporting the game also supports the devs who worked on it

I meant saying "this delay / multiplatform move is good news", not necessarily supporting the game.

Aah. Fair enough. I kinda meant it as both in general on this regard, but mostly on the game front.

WingedRegent posted...

If legit, then yeah, but on the other hand, as mentioned earlier, supporting the game also supports the devs who worked on it, and we've seen time and again lately how a game not selling results in the developers losing their jobs rather than any repercussions on the publisher. Makes the publisher look bad, sure, but it's still a working publisher in some fashion. Hell, out of the whole thing with THQ, the real victims there were the devs, and specifically, Vigil and the Darksiders Team.

Unfortunately, you cannot support the devs without supporting the move, since supporting the devs gives Ubisoft the money, not the devs. As such, you're supporting Ubisoft's middle finger to the devs AND us.

Basically. Ubisoft is positioned to where it's a "win" for them, but a loss for all involved IMO. People buy the game and it supports that business practice and lines their pockets. They don't, and oh well. The devs don't get paid for it. Ubisoft can still make another AC and rake in the big bucks while basically saying "You didn't buy this, so why should we make that?"
---
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Seraphim_Dragon.png
You're casual if you like anything. Real hardcore gamers hate everything.-CyhortI82
#27HerPandaPosted 2/7/2013 8:55:06 PM
Asuir posted...
Every developer is often under the same pressure. This isn't some unique case. The only thing unique about it is that a developer actually posted how he felt and is probably going to get fired.

This is different though. It's one thing to go through crunch time. It's another thing when you're told that you worked hard for no reason because they're going to delay it another half year anyway, and on top of that half of your fans hate you and don't plan on playing the game you toiled on for the past year.
#28WingedRegentPosted 2/7/2013 8:57:44 PM
Virus66 posted...
elheber posted...
F***ing Ubisoft. They're one of the few big publishers I actually like. I hate it when fans and developers get the short end most of all. I often buy games just because I like the developers as people. HVS games, WayForward games, etc. only based on the developer's love for making games. It hurts me to see this enthusiasm destroyed.

yep, it's hard to support the developers only when you know the publisher is the one you are really supporting in this case...

While I may feel bad they didn't see their families for six months, you have to realize that this isn't just them. Every developer is often under the same pressure. This isn't some unique case. The only thing unique about it is that a developer actually posted how he felt and is probably going to get fired.

While I agree with and understand the point you're making, I think the big thing that gets people up-in-arms about this one is how the devs were being rushed to build the game in a short amount of time with overtime, etc., but then, after the game is finished, done, and dusted and ready to launch in 2 weeks, they basically just tell them, "That overtime you worked? Yeah. Wasn't worth it since we're extending the deadline by 7 months anyway. That finished game you got? Hold onto it until then". The pressure isn't unique, but the circumstances surrounding it seem to be since, normally, the game is still being worked on and merely having the work expanded to the other platforms OR they release one version first as a timed-exclusive and then, release the others separately (Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge comes to mind) In this case, the Wii-U version is done and dusted, but because of the move, they're forced to delay a finished product, meaning that the overtime they worked was basically unnecessary.
---
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Seraphim_Dragon.png
You're casual if you like anything. Real hardcore gamers hate everything.-CyhortI82
#29elheberPosted 2/7/2013 9:26:46 PM
Asuir posted...
Virus66 posted...
elheber posted...

You are so right. I am such an idiot. I shouldn't be upset that they were worked to the bone for no reason because, hey, it happens to other people too. Asuir for justice.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
| 3DS: Ulysses | PSN: Riot_Guy |
#30Virus66(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 10:11:43 PM
Honestly, this picture off of Miiverse describes the situation about as well as anything else can

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/h82si.jpg
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?