which point in time should the next legend of zelda take place

#21hydrocrush(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 3:01:20 PM
Muljo Stpho posted...
hydrocrush posted...
AwayFromHere posted...
5,000 years after the latest game in the series.

if you mean skyward sword then that would be either between ss and mc or mc and oot the latter being the hyrule cival war

if you mean after the farthest in time well the timeline splits so after zelda 2 4 swords adventures or spirit tracks

Perhaps we need to clarify what we're all assuming the passage of time between games to be like here. I give them hundreds of years between all current major points on the timeline (except TWW/PH -> ST which is of course known to be exactly 100 years). I've seen people assume no more than 100 years between them, mostly because of a minor mistranslation of something the developers said once. But you seem to be willing to give them thousands of years between titles. 5000 years after SS, and you think there's a chance that that would only get as far as just before TMC?

SS -> TMC -> FS -> OoT
Three gaps of time. I'd estimate that as anywhere from 900 to 2700 years total between SS and OoT.

OoT -> flood story -> TWW/PH -> ST
Three gaps (a significant amount of time seems to pass before and after the flood), but the length of the last one is known. I'd estimate anywhere from 700 to 1900 years total between OoT and ST.

OoT/MM -> TP -> FSA
Two gaps. I'd estimate anywhere from 600 to 1800 years total between OoT/MM and FSA.

OoT -> LttP/Oracles/LA -> AoL's backstory -> LoZ/AoL
Three gaps (assuming a significant amount of time passes before and after AoL's backstory). I'd estimate anywhere from 900 to 2700 years total between OoT and LoZ/AoL.

From just after SS to any currently known end of the timeline would total anywhere from 1500 years with my low estimates (900+600) to 5400 years with my high estimates (2700+2700).

Although I'd prefer to just take the averages of my numbers. So let's call it 1800 years from SS to OoT, 1300 years from OoT to ST, 1200 years from OoT/MM to FSA, and 1800 years from OoT to LoZ/AoL. So maybe somewhere between 3000 and 3600 years from just after SS to any end of the timeline. With that estimate, saying "5000 years after SS" would overshoot everything by a lot regardless of which split you look at.

only miyamoto decides how time passes
---
black 2 FC 3998 4354 0836
#22Retro ManPosted 2/9/2013 4:37:50 PM
I want a cyberpunk Zelda.

Link with his Hyrule smart-linked rifle, gunning down tech-riddled creatures, all to save the world from the threat of nuclear apocalypse. Zelda is the only one who's gene-code can unlock and launch the missiles, and Ganondorf has kidnapped her, with the idea of forcing her to bring on a new age of misery.
---
Playing: Nothing. Damn work!
Own/Use: PSV, PSP, PS3, Wii, DS, 3DS, 360, HTC One X, iPod Touch
#23Muljo StphoPosted 2/9/2013 4:49:22 PM
I think it's been made clear that Miyamoto would probably be the one on the staff who would care the least about a detail like that.

And either way, the numbers I listed off were just my best guess, just like yours. (And I didn't exactly create a narrow margin either, I had "very low" and "very high" guesses, and I stuck with the medium values in the end for the sake of the discussion.)

What I said was how the series looks to me / what makes sense to me. And it's what most people have seemed to agree on unless they're going around saying that each gap is only 100 years long. So I was just curious why you think it makes more sense for the series to assume many thousands of years in those gaps.

(Side note: Obviously the "real" numbers, if there could ever be such a thing, wouldn't be so consistent all across the board as the way I made my estimates anyway. You wouldn't have 300 years here, 300 years there, 300 years in the next spot, etc. One gap might be 273 and another might be 409 and one more might be 356, just to spit out some arbitrary values.)
---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby
#24hydrocrush(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 6:20:46 PM
Retro Man posted...
I want a cyberpunk Zelda.

Link with his Hyrule smart-linked rifle, gunning down tech-riddled creatures, all to save the world from the threat of nuclear apocalypse. Zelda is the only one who's gene-code can unlock and launch the missiles, and Ganondorf has kidnapped her, with the idea of forcing her to bring on a new age of misery.

noone wants zelda to be a horrible game like the varoius shovelware shooters of the trashbox or cod
---
#25hydrocrush(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 3:56:25 PM
Muljo Stpho posted...
I think it's been made clear that Miyamoto would probably be the one on the staff who would care the least about a detail like that.

And either way, the numbers I listed off were just my best guess, just like yours. (And I didn't exactly create a narrow margin either, I had "very low" and "very high" guesses, and I stuck with the medium values in the end for the sake of the discussion.)

What I said was how the series looks to me / what makes sense to me. And it's what most people have seemed to agree on unless they're going around saying that each gap is only 100 years long. So I was just curious why you think it makes more sense for the series to assume many thousands of years in those gaps.

(Side note: Obviously the "real" numbers, if there could ever be such a thing, wouldn't be so consistent all across the board as the way I made my estimates anyway. You wouldn't have 300 years here, 300 years there, 300 years in the next spot, etc. One gap might be 273 and another might be 409 and one more might be 356, just to spit out some arbitrary values.)

but he can still controll it also the oracle games happen with the same link as alttp so almost no distance between
---
#26Muljo StphoPosted 2/11/2013 11:41:33 AM(edited)
It feels like you only read and respond to one random sentence out of a post that isn't Twitter-length... Anyway...

but he can still controll it

He oversees production on a very general level (along with everything else being worked on within EAD like Mario, Nintendogs, Wii ____ / NintendoLand, Pikmin, etc.) and stops in on occasion to check in on them. He doesn't get so involved in specific day-to-day details of development. That's for the director (Aunoma or Fujibayashi).

But you ignored the question I asked there:
"So I was just curious why you think it makes more sense for the series to assume many thousands of years in those gaps."

Okay, no question mark, but question implied. Whatever Miyamoto's level of involvement in the planning out (to whatever extent that there is any) of the history of Hyrule, what makes your guess (time scale covers thousands of years between each new hero) better than mine and most other people's guess (time scale covers hundreds of years between each new hero)?

also the oracle games happen with the same link as alttp so almost no distance between

I did not forget this, and I never implied any differently:
"OoT -> LttP/Oracles/LA -> AoL's backstory -> LoZ/AoL"

I lumped direct sequels (adventures with the same Link) together as one "major point on the timeline" and talked about what sort of time might pass between the lives of different heroes (and other significant events that may occur in between them).

Man... This really shouldn't have needed any more than my first post in this thread to say what I've said in this thread. Anyway...

I'll agree with shooting down this post. They can certainly do some more techie stuff with the series but it's not going to be done like this. It would be the world of the past, when Hylia or perhaps even the creator goddesses themselves were still walking around and getting directly/personally involved in things and they had robot servants building civilization for them with their technomagical gearpunk contraptions. The timeline after ST may start to develop more of a steampunk theme, but the timelines after FSA or AoL seem like they will maintain the status quo and continue to have stagnant development that relies on that ancient advanced technology for anything that a basic medieval level of technology can't provide.

edit: Oddly enough though, in a way the timeline after TWW is also just relying on ancient technology. Sure, they developed a few steam engines on their own by TWW's time to get around on the Great Sea. (You see a couple steamboats in TWW at some point.) But the train tracks in the new land (Malladus's chains) were already there before Link and Tetra found it and founded the new Hyrule there. The people built a life around using those tracks and they built new trains for it... just because the tracks were there already and because Link and Tetra apparently befriended Anjean and the other Lokomo who were guarding and maintaining the tracks. So I don't know how much they'll really push for the development of steampunk style technology after ST.

---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby
#27cancerboy87Posted 2/11/2013 11:40:29 AM
Ive never played all of the zelda games so holy hell I had no idea the canon story was so amazingly convoluted (complete with branching paths and what if scenarios)

I almost dont want to try and figure out the lore now >.>
---
"Naruto isn't a ninja. He is a mage, why do you think he is able to do all those spells."-StupidMofoz
PSN: MrsCliffton
#28SlimeSwayzePosted 2/11/2013 11:41:23 AM
Personally, I don't think it matters. The whole concept of the Zelda timeline is one of the biggest farces in gaming.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#29deathsaber79Posted 2/11/2013 11:55:59 AM
For me, the most "underutilized" area is the "death" timeline.

Thats where the old NES and SNES entries reside- adn the NES games were largely minimalistic in terms of plot- the games themselves gave almost nothing. All the lore came largely from the instruction manuals, and now the Hyrule Historia, in how they fit into the overall scheme of things.

But why not release a game post "Adventure of Link" in the timeline- where the orignal Ganon is still resurrectable. I'd love the see Ganon - "the demon Pig guy" in a modern game, as its basically been various spins of Ganondorf the gerudu theif leader since Ocarina came out.
#30hydrocrush(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 4:14:35 PM
cancerboy87 posted...
Ive never played all of the zelda games so holy hell I had no idea the canon story was so amazingly convoluted (complete with branching paths and what if scenarios)

I almost dont want to try and figure out the lore now >.>

almost?
---