Remember the Nintendo 64 launch?

#61excitebike64Posted 2/8/2013 6:31:27 AM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
Icecreamdunwich posted...
A Virtual Boy needs to be setup to run as well, it also uses batteries or an outlet...

Not really, you place it on the table and plug in the controller and turn it on. TVs and consoles you have to plug them into a power source, hook up various cables, hook up other possible devices, and make sure you have the set up the way you want it to be. Hence why they aren't portable.

So, because it takes a few extra steps it is now not portable? lol. It takes many steps to find something stable enough for the VB to play on, which you'd know if you had used one.

The fact that icecreamdunwich insists that the VB is a console, in the strictest sense voids everything he ever said. Consoles are made to hook up to a TV or some other monitor. The VB was a stand alone system. Actually VB is best described as a 3rd platform which is probably more why it failed than anything. Hints of Nintendo wanting a 3rd platform points to ideas similar to the VB actually. Nintendo did "brag" about the VB being portable as well, so portable more than a console is more than obvious.

Sad I sold my VB, tear.
#62hrodwulfPosted 2/8/2013 6:35:23 AM
Well TC, to your credit, I do support everyone should pay attention to Pandora's Tower, between it and the 3DS Castlevania, the absence of Lords of Shadow 2 and tardiness of Rayman Legends and Aliens Colonial Marines might not be felt as much. Still, it's really a shame Nintendo doesn't seem to have learned much, if anything, from the launches of the N64, Gamecube, DS, 3DS...
#63therickmu25Posted 2/8/2013 6:40:50 AM
You're all forgetting that the N64 at its time had the most impressive hardware out of any console, so the minimal games that released with it at least look mind blowing. I'll never forget the first time I played Mario 64, it was life changing.

The WiiU has last gen hardware and nothing that looks amazing, yet.
---
Desktop: http://i.imgur.com/qv9CK.jpg
Current Game Collection: http://i.imgur.com/FYaHS.jpg
#64Sipher360Posted 2/8/2013 6:51:09 AM
therickmu25 posted...
You're all forgetting that the N64 at its time had the most impressive hardware out of any console, so the minimal games that released with it at least look mind blowing. I'll never forget the first time I played Mario 64, it was life changing.

^^^^This is what I was thinking.... The N64 and Mario64 was all a person needed. I remember playing Mario64 on a display unit when it first came out and me and my boy stood for hours in Walmart playing it. He was amazed and he wasn't even a gamer.

I didn't think games could look any better at the time...which is lol in and of itself.
---
"Ahk and them never did nothing to me....terrorism is when you hang a * from a tree..." -Grand Puba Maxwell
#65BigReedPosted 2/8/2013 7:01:02 AM
While the 64 and Gamecube under performed because of some questionable choices from Nintendo, as a whole I thought they were profitable. I'm not sure where this "going under" stuff is.

The Rare sale was a fantastic move on their part. At the time, I thought it was a mistake, but looking back they made the right choice. From what I've read, Nintendo sold their 49% of Rare because Microsoft was going to buy 51% of the company, thus owning the majority share. Basically, Microsoft would have had control over Rare and Nintendo's dealings with them.

So it made sense to get out of that.
---
U.S. Army Airborne Veteran