What if the Wii U hardware was much more powerful?

#1sanas_thirituPosted 2/8/2013 8:38:24 AM
Would the console be in better shape today?
They would definitely be getting more third party games and stuff
And you dont have people remarking that they can run that graphics on their mobiles and tablets.

Is lack of power one of the reasons for the wiiu's poor performance?
Or
Is lack of power the ONLY reason?

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts.
P.s I dont own a wii u. Just curious. Thats all..
---
Humans and monkeys are related by a process of guided evolution - fact
#2squatch22Posted 2/8/2013 8:39:38 AM
599 US DOLLARS!
---
Dog posted: I know I have bias...
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#3blangloisPosted 2/8/2013 8:40:34 AM
Honestly if it were more powerful it would be even more expensive and probably have moved fewer units than it has already, thus lowering the install base and making it even less attractive for developers.

Nintendo can't win that game. What they need it to release quality software themselves, as it is the only thing they can count on to work.
#4sanas_thiritu(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 8:55:24 AM
A lot has been made out of the new generation's affair with smartphones and tablets.

How can a company hope to stand out without showing graphics that these ipads and iphones just cant pull off?
I mean, this is a weird generation. The casual gamers this generation might just be happy playing on their smartphones or tablets. Its cheap and really really casual. For all practical purposes, all consoles might just have lost the 'casual gamer' this gen.

so that leaves us with the hardcore gamers. The nintendo fans will get the system nevertheless. The challenge is to make the remaining hardcore gamers go out and get one. True next gen graphics and hence more third party games would help no?

I know I would have..
---
#5Chocobo115Posted 2/8/2013 9:02:20 AM
Yeah I think so.
Many of the major developers have developer kits for PS4 & 720 so they already know the difference in power, and can decide if it's worthwhile developing for Wii U.
Also the tablet isn't as much of a "wow factor", like the Wii motion controls were. The tablet doesn't feel fresh, just something copied from apple and android tablets.
Then a third factor would be the lack of major exclusives at launch. There's no Mario 64, no Twilight Princess. Not even anything shown yet, only promises about e3 when the doom and gloom was as deepest.
#6pearl arowanaPosted 2/8/2013 9:04:44 AM
at least make it noticeably better than ps3 and 360

NOT about similar power with ps3 and 360 like we have now.. that ****III pathetic.
---
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or abministrator]
#7MegagunstarmanPosted 2/8/2013 9:07:41 AM
More power wouldn't improve the shape Wii U is in today. Lack of games is the biggest problem for the Wii U.
---
I'm not changing this until a new Jet Set Radio is announced. Started 10/13/11
#8sanas_thiritu(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 9:14:35 AM
Megagunstarman posted...
More power wouldn't improve the shape Wii U is in today. Lack of games is the biggest problem for the Wii U.

Aren't the two related? I mean, if the hardware was much more powerful, third party devs would be more interested to make games for the system.

Ill put it this way - why would I buy a wii u when I know that any third party game on it can be played on my old xbox or ps3?.

If some developer had shown off a title that the current 360 and ps3 cant handle, then that would have been a selling point for the console.

Then its like a domino effect - more gamers in, more developers in.
---
#9MegagunstarmanPosted 2/8/2013 9:21:32 AM
sanas_thiritu posted...
Megagunstarman posted...

Aren't the two related? I mean, if the hardware was much more powerful, third party devs would be more interested to make games for the system.

No. All the potential extra games released on Wii U as a result of extra power would just be multiplat ports. 3rd party publishers wouldn't spend tons of money developing for 1 new install base. They would wait for all 3 next gen systems.

Let me rephrase my original post a little bit. A lack of unique games is the biggest problem for the Wii U. More power wouldn't have fixed that.
---
I'm not changing this until a new Jet Set Radio is announced. Started 10/13/11
#10Ryan SiPosted 2/8/2013 10:14:23 AM
Honestly, it's not the power of the hardware that has me leaning Sony. I have a Wii and it's a great local multiplayer console (Wii Sports Resort, MK:Wii) with great Mario games (SMG1/2, NSMBW, SM:A-S).

But, Wii U's online network just doesn't seem to muster up at all to PSN. With PSN, everything I buy and everything I do (mostly) on my PS3 is tied to my account. It also seems that within the OS, the simplest things are made overly difficult.

Of course, the biggest concern with Nintendo like always is third-party support. So far, it's been a little troubling. The GamePad just isn't as intriguing as motion controls as well.
---
Most Wanted: Bit.Trip Runner 2 (PC), Final Fantasy X HD (PS4)