How would you like to see the Gamepad used? (Poll)

#1FF_FiendPosted 2/8/2013 9:19:07 AM
The gamepad serves a number of purposes. How would you like to see it implemented in the future? - Results (23 votes)
Off-screen play is awesome when the girlfriend wants to watch a terrible vampire show on Netflix.
26.09% (6 votes)
Use it as a menu/inventory screen, as it was in the Zelda tech demo footage.
21.74% (5 votes)
Use it to display maps of the area you're exploring.
13.04% (3 votes)
Use it to chat with other players while playing a game.
17.39% (4 votes)
Use it to watch TV, video chat, browser - all the things all tablets can already
8.7% (2 votes)
I hate the gamepad and won't ever use it if it isn't required of me.
13.04% (3 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Personally, I'm a little fed up with how the gamepad is used in the few Wii U games I do own. Off-screen play is cool, and I'm glad it's a feature. I just hate seeing it used in a way that almost forces you to stare at the gamepad instead of your gorgeous 1080p 60 inch flatscreen. Case in point, Scribblenauts Unlimited. There's really no reason to look up from the gamepad for the entire game (in fact, it's hard to do so). Which means that I just bought an XXL 3DS without the 3D.

I can't wait to see the gamepad used in ways that work in conjunction with your screen. Take a few cues from the DS in how well two screens can work together. There's no reason to mirror the image while you're playing Mario on your TV. It'd be cool to have some other function assigned to the gamepad here. Maybe a map of the round you're playing that is uncovered as you explore the round. So that when you go back to the round, you see what areas you've missed (grayed out) to look for those elusive star coins.

And then, if you want to play it on offscreen, select a button that mirrors the image onto your gamepad.

Anyway, have your say, GameFaqs.
---
Playing: Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3), Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS), Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita)
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#2digiblasterPosted 2/8/2013 9:20:27 AM
I'd pick a few of those, but I'd pick Off-Screen play if I could only choose one.

It's so useful!
#3Virus66Posted 2/8/2013 9:20:50 AM
You missed one obvious point. What about the implementation of the asymmetrical play like Nintendo Land? That isn't encompassed by any of the poll options. Theres more than just a map or off screen play...
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#4FF_Fiend(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 9:23:13 AM
Virus66 posted...
You missed one obvious point. What about the implementation of the asymmetrical play like Nintendo Land? That isn't encompassed by any of the poll options. Theres more than just a map or off screen play...

You're right, I meant to include that. I just wasn't sure how to phrase it. I haven't played a ton of NintendoLand yet (consumed by various PS3 games at the moment). But I intend to take a closer look at it to see how its really implemented there. I think the only game that I gave any real play time to was Battle Quest, and I used the Wii mote for that anyway.
---
Playing: Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3), Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS), Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita)
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#5sythe343Posted 2/8/2013 9:23:43 AM
I'd like to see it used in FPS's where you would hold up the pad to ADS. As opposed to the normal one trigger or button to aim and one to fire. You hold up the pad, maybe hit the ADS button to activate it on screen, and use the precision of the pad to aim.

I could see myself using the ADS like this and having a blast.
---
Jumping feet first into hell isn't your job, making sure it's full when you get there is.
PSN: DedSythe XBL:Ser MeatShield
#6Chocobo115Posted 2/8/2013 9:25:29 AM
The GamePad seems awful, I wish all games were fully playable with the Pro Controller (oh and upgrade it with rumble)
#7DarthFloatyPosted 2/8/2013 9:28:13 AM
None of the above. Zombiu/Rayman Legends style seems best to Mr and is what I'm looking forward too.
#8sythe343Posted 2/8/2013 9:33:41 AM
I really do think they've only scratched at the surface the pad. There's more functions i could see being used, and even having multiple used at once.

The ADS trick is just one thing i'd like to see.

Maps are certainly nice, and an Inventory screen would be excellent uses, but they aren't very engaging. They could do like ZombiU and have it as a multitool that doesn't take you out of the game. Hacking, Lockpicking, puzzle solving (I.e. think a rubiks cube that you solve to use it as a key) and they could do these without taking you out of the game since you could see yourself on your TV as well as any Zombies, Police, Enemies, etc. that would be patrolling would still need to be watched out for.
---
Jumping feet first into hell isn't your job, making sure it's full when you get there is.
PSN: DedSythe XBL:Ser MeatShield
#9DrSnakesPosted 2/8/2013 9:34:20 AM
a digital weighing scale
#10mashuPosted 2/8/2013 9:36:03 AM
Should be multi-choice, but the only real use for it I have is as a supplement to a game - a menu or inventory screen, world map etc.

The ability to play off screen I find pointless, as it can't range far enough from the console where the TV already is. Lots of TVs in the house - I've never once in all my gaming ever had an issue of wishing to play a console but unable to do so because someone was watching something.