IGN: Do exclusives still matter (interesting video)

#1FFXIgaiaknightPosted 2/8/2013 10:59:55 PM
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/08/game-scoop-do-exclusives-still-matter

please watch the full video before discussing cause im my opinion they make some sense when discussing the subject.

I will start. To keep this short yes and no for nintendo there first party exclusives are the biggest selling point for there systems always have been where as for my ps3 i find myself buying 3rd party games rather than sony exclusives. I dunno if its that i just dont find sonys first party games interesting compared to nintendos but i just cant get hooked on them like i can a mario or a zelda game though thats not to say that sony doesnt make great games cause there game usually come with high review scores like the uncharted series but they just dont have that touch that draws me to nintendos games.
---
Currently Playing: Dead Space 3 (PC)
NNI: Gaiaknight
#2FFXIgaiaknight(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 11:28:49 PM
really nothing?
---
#3FlyinTonitePosted 2/8/2013 11:33:46 PM
Exclusives matter to Sony and Nintendo. They are what people buy their consoles for.
---
Apathetic since I don't care when.
i7 3770s @ 3.1ghz, asus gtx 660, gskill ripjaws 8 gb, ASUS|P8B75-V R, ocz 700w psu, 1.5 tb seagate hdd
#4UmitenchoPosted 2/8/2013 11:35:18 PM
Gonna be honest, exclusives are sort of not being important no more with the rise of let's play/walkthroughs on youtube.

Think about it. A game that you want becomes a exclusive on a system you don't own. You can either drop money buying the system and the game or just watch a lets play on youtube of the game.

Had it not been for youtube and the gamer channels, I would of bought a PS3 by now.
#5FFXIgaiaknight(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 11:47:19 PM
Umitencho posted...
Gonna be honest, exclusives are sort of not being important no more with the rise of let's play/walkthroughs on youtube.

Think about it. A game that you want becomes a exclusive on a system you don't own. You can either drop money buying the system and the game or just watch a lets play on youtube of the game.

Had it not been for youtube and the gamer channels, I would of bought a PS3 by now.

alright thats different i like different havent actually heard that yet for a reason to not buy a console.
---
#6kdognumba1Posted 2/8/2013 11:54:44 PM(edited)
I say yes. If this closing generation has taught me anything, it's that all games are always better on PC, regardless if the devs intend for them to be or not. All games on PC can be fixed with patches the developers don't have to pay extra for, will get all DLC regardless of how "well" they sell, have the possibility of getting user patches, can get user mods, and even have the possibility of having spawning entirely new games or genres (DOTA and Tower Defense).

Consoles limitations and stupid rules designed by the console companies to dictate the playing fields is their biggest flaws. Having closed platforms, not allowing users to upgrade or modify hardware, making it hard for developers to develop games via stupid rules and ridiculous pricing models, and stopping software mods from ever starting does more damage then good in the long run.

Because of this, the bulk of my gaming (and many other like minded thinkers) is on PC and I need to see exclusive games on each system that look interesting to merit a purchase, otherwise, there's no point.

Umitencho posted...

For all that, what's the point of having gaming as a hobby? If you take away your own interaction and just watch you have..... watered down TV shows and movies.
---
backloggery: http://backloggery.com/kdog254 twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
#7AceMosPosted 2/8/2013 11:54:18 PM
Umitencho posted...

uh if u watcha LP u dont get to PLAY the game

for interactive movies like the walking dead sure thats a option

but real games like mario zelda metroid pokemon ect

u need to PLAY
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#8iKhanicPosted 2/8/2013 11:58:33 PM
I think exclusives absolutely matter, but they have to be strong enough to get people to spend hundreds of dollars on a system. I really don't think features are enough to differentiate games

In regards to the video, I think the IGN folks are talking out of their asses when they say Nintendo hasn't had 3rd party support for 4 generations. Yes, Nintendo had lost a big chunk of 3rd Party support with the N64 because of their choice to stick with cartridges. However, the GC gained it back because it went to CD's and it featured an ordinary default control scheme. The Wii lost it again because it had a unique default control scheme, and was thus more difficult to develop for. On top of that, it lost because it didn't have the HD capabilities developers wanted to show in their games. The Wii U doesn't have any of those things inhibiting it, so it should do fine with 3rd parties. All it really needs to do is get an install base, which is what hurt the GC.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#9FlyinTonitePosted 2/9/2013 12:02:04 AM
iKhanic posted...
I think exclusives absolutely matter, but they have to be strong enough to get people to spend hundreds of dollars on a system. I really don't think features are enough to differentiate games

In regards to the video, I think the IGN folks are talking out of their asses when they say Nintendo hasn't had 3rd party support for 4 generations. Yes, Nintendo had lost a big chunk of 3rd Party support with the N64 because of their choice to stick with cartridges. However, the GC gained it back because it went to CD's and it featured an ordinary default control scheme. The Wii lost it again because it had a unique default control scheme, and was thus more difficult to develop for. On top of that, it lost because it didn't have the HD capabilities developers wanted to show in their games. The Wii U doesn't have any of those things inhibiting it, so it should do fine with 3rd parties. All it really needs to do is get an install base, which is what hurt the GC.

The misconception people have is that wii received no third party support. Wii had the most third party support out of anyone last gen. Yes, they were mostly crap games but this was mostly because they are tiny no-name studios. I don't believe game designers set out to make a bad game so it's really just public opinion on what a dev puts out to determine whether or not a game is shovelware or a solid title.

The only argument that's valid in terms of third party is that wii had a lack of AAA multiplats.
---
Apathetic since I don't care when.
i7 3770s @ 3.1ghz, asus gtx 660, gskill ripjaws 8 gb, ASUS|P8B75-V R, ocz 700w psu, 1.5 tb seagate hdd
#10kdognumba1Posted 2/9/2013 12:14:39 AM(edited)
FlyinTonite posted...
iKhanic posted...

The misconception people have is that wii received no third party support. Wii had the most third party support out of anyone last gen. Yes, they were mostly crap games but this was mostly because they are tiny no-name studios. I don't believe game designers set out to make a bad game so it's really just public opinion on what a dev puts out to determine whether or not a game is shovelware or a solid title.

The only argument that's valid in terms of third party is that wii had a lack of AAA multiplats.

I wouldn't even say that it lacked AAA 3rd party games, it's more like it lacked a good chunk of top tier Western 3rd party support. Wii did however have some very notable titles that if they were on other systems, people would of been all over, such as Monster Hunter Tri, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, The Last Story, Little King's Story, Madworld, Redsteel 2, Muramasa and quite a few others. Most of them were from Japan though.

Wii did receive some of the big hyped up and hugely successful western series's though, such as CoD, Just Dance, Fifa, and Madden however most of this is considered dismissible by gamers and go overlooked by most.
---
backloggery: http://backloggery.com/kdog254 twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1