IGN: Do exclusives still matter (interesting video)

#11UmitenchoPosted 2/9/2013 1:16:58 AM
AceMos posted...
Umitencho posted...
Gonna be honest, exclusives are sort of not being important no more with the rise of let's play/walkthroughs on youtube.

Think about it. A game that you want becomes a exclusive on a system you don't own. You can either drop money buying the system and the game or just watch a lets play on youtube of the game.

Had it not been for youtube and the gamer channels, I would of bought a PS3 by now.

uh if u watcha LP u dont get to PLAY the game

for interactive movies like the walking dead sure thats a option

but real games like mario zelda metroid pokemon ect

u need to PLAY

Oh I agree. I do play Pokemon, Mario and so on. I have a policy of not doing youtube for Pokemon and what not.

However, The PS3 price tag burned me and by the time the price was agreeable I felt that at that point their new system will be out in a few years so for sony, I did lp and then take the money on a PS3 and put it on their PS4 barring they don't botch up the price and the no used games is just a rumor.

For MS, I just bought the game unless it was a shooter or horror.

This gen I was 35% lets play and 65% play it myself.
#12FFXIgaiaknight(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 2:51:28 AM
bump
---
Currently Playing: Dead Space 3 (PC)
NNI: Gaiaknight
#13ShinyToyPaladinPosted 2/9/2013 3:02:13 AM
Posted this in another thread on a different site in response to the same video. Just gonna paste it here.

"Exclusives are still the most important part of a console purchase to me. I hate that the thought of anything else taking center stage over the ACTUAL GAMES is even something to consider. Kinda pisses me off actually. I don't care about what apps the system can perform lol, I just want to play awesome games.

People who like Sony IPs are going to buy the Playstation 4
People who like Nintendo IPs are going to buy the Wii U
People who like Microsoft IPs are going to buy the Nexbox

That's all that seriously should manner. This whole media hub "taking over the living room and meeting all your needs" should be a complete afterthought. I hated the slight focus of it in this gen and i'll be pretty upset if the focus is more on "look what we can do" rather than "look what games we have" for next gen.

It really doesn't make sense to me that a videogame console should do well based on criteria that has nothing to do with videogames. That's like buying a specific car over another one because you like the air freshener that's hanging off of the mirror.

I use Netflix on my PS3 but if I couldn't would I still prefer PS3? Of course. I hope to dear god I don't sound like an elitist prick, but I cringe whenever I hear "gamers" say they like one console over another for some stupid app that has nothing to do with gaming."
#14MR_Smarty_PantsPosted 2/9/2013 4:36:54 AM
Umitencho posted...
Gonna be honest, exclusives are sort of not being important no more with the rise of let's play/walkthroughs on youtube.

Think about it. A game that you want becomes a exclusive on a system you don't own. You can either drop money buying the system and the game or just watch a lets play on youtube of the game.

Had it not been for youtube and the gamer channels, I would of bought a PS3 by now.

I agreed cause there were games I wanted before youtube was to came out but I didn't want to spend the money on the game so I would look at pics of it in a gaming magazine and then I pretty much didn't wanted to buy it after that.
---
Proud owner of the Wii U!
#15nonexistingheroPosted 2/9/2013 4:41:56 AM
There wouldn't be any need for multiple consoles if there were no exclusives. Obviously, exclusives are what pushed the videogame industry forward. And they still are. Most of the large sellers on consoles are also exclusive games, selling more than even most multiplatform releases.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#161337toothbrushPosted 2/9/2013 7:42:27 AM
Exclusives don't matter because they make up the tiny minority of games. However, what does matter is which system plays multiplatform games the best. The Wii U is also very weak in that regard, unfortunately.
---
------------
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/hobo2/nowsaving-1.png
#17Sad_FacePosted 2/9/2013 9:45:52 AM
Exclusives obviously don't matter if you plan on buying all the consoles in the market, but it's obviously going to be big factor if you're only planning to buy 1-2 of them since, more than likely, the games playable by the console are going to be the deciding factor. If console A has twice as many games you want to play compared to console B, you are more than likely going to choose A.
#18SoaringDivePosted 2/9/2013 9:52:00 AM
Well yeah. Why get a 360 over a PS3? For those casual Kinect exclusives. Why get a PS3 over 360? Because you like to play games.

Exclusives do matter, we've seen that this gen.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#19zender1999Posted 2/9/2013 9:54:46 AM
that is why i got a wiiu or any other nintendo console, for nintendo esclusives games
#20cancerboy87Posted 2/9/2013 10:06:17 AM
Umitencho posted...

This is a poor mans excuse, don't disillusion yourself.

My younger brother does this becasue he is constantly grounded and (more importantly) he doesnt work, so he cant even afford the games for the console he owns, much less other consoles and exclusives.

But he would choose to play it everyday and every time if he could, as opposed to watching it on youtube.

Youtube isnt inhibiting console or game sales in the way you are indicating. People who have disposable income buy it if they want it. If they cant afford it, then chances are they don't have any (or much) disposable income since 200-400 dollars ins't really much anyway. (I couldnt even pay rent with that much and have spent much more on girlfriends in a single month)
---
"Naruto isn't a ninja. He is a mage, why do you think he is able to do all those spells."-StupidMofoz
PSN: MrsCliffton