IGN: Do exclusives still matter (interesting video)

#21MelkacPosted 2/9/2013 10:24:41 AM
I think people are lying to themselves when they say people buy the PS3 for Sony's exclusives...

Sony's exclusives have been selling like s*** lately...and not even their "strongest" IP, God of War, can sell 10 million or so, like Halo.

I think you just need to compare those sales figures to Ninty's...
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA
#22JobocanPosted 2/9/2013 10:26:56 AM
Umitencho posted...
Think about it. A game that you want becomes a exclusive on a system you don't own. You can either drop money buying the system and the game or just watch a lets play on youtube of the game.

Yes because watching someone playing the game is EXACTLY THE SAME THING as playing yourself. No difference at all.

Is this "saying stupid ****" day and no one told me?
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#23MegagunstarmanPosted 2/9/2013 10:33:09 AM
Yes they do. Without Zelda U and SSB4, I would have a hard time coming up with a reason to buy a Wii U. With them, it's a very easy choice.
---
I'm not changing this until a new Jet Set Radio is announced. Started 10/13/11
#24EndgamePosted 2/9/2013 11:10:14 AM
Gonna be honest, exclusives are sort of not being important no more with the rise of let's play/walkthroughs on youtube.

Think about it. A game that you want becomes a exclusive on a system you don't own. You can either drop money buying the system and the game or just watch a lets play on youtube of the game.

that might work for the interactive movies that are jRPGs, or games that put story over gameplay like Metal Gear.....

.....but how the **** would that work for real video games?

I like to play games, not watch them
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#25ShinyToyPaladinPosted 2/9/2013 3:55:24 PM
Melkac posted...
I think people are lying to themselves when they say people buy the PS3 for Sony's exclusives...

Sony's exclusives have been selling like s*** lately...and not even their "strongest" IP, God of War, can sell 10 million or so, like Halo.

I think you just need to compare those sales figures to Ninty's...

So much fail in your post. Sorry I constantly keep forgetting that sales = quality. You are right, I would totally rather have only Gears and Halo compared to variety of PS3 exclusives.

/s

Exclusives are extremely important. I'd say they are actually the MOST important part of a console. They are literally entire games that you can or cannot play. That one game could be your absolute favorite game ever.
#26DarkZV2BetaPosted 2/9/2013 3:58:28 PM
Exclusives are just another way to monopolize the market.
This is why I hope platforms like Ouya and the Shield take off. A true open platform standard for console gaming; no more exclusives and buying 6 different pieces of hardware just to play the 8 or so games worth playing each generation.
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED
a high end card gets bg3 1080p maxed around 200fps ~The Q on BF3.
#27Virus66Posted 2/9/2013 4:18:54 PM(edited)
I pretty much agree with the video. They do matter. Sony and Nintendo thrive due to their exclusives and Microsoft due to their services. Microsoft and Sony are walking their own path, Nintendo will continue down their own path and they will be just fine.

Endgame posted...
Gonna be honest, exclusives are sort of not being important no more with the rise of let's play/walkthroughs on youtube.

that might work for the interactive movies that are jRPGs, or games that put story over gameplay like Metal Gear.....

.....but how the **** would that work for real video games?

I like to play games, not watch them

And my god, I think the world is ending. I just agreed with Endgame O_o
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#28_Sovereign_Posted 2/9/2013 6:57:46 PM
1337toothbrush posted...
Exclusives don't matter because they make up the tiny minority of games. However, what does matter is which system plays multiplatform games the best. The Wii U is also very weak in that regard, unfortunately.

Most of the comparisons last gen where one version edged out the other were so close that it boiled down to what controller you preferred. I buy consoles for the exclusives first, then depending on the surrounding features, that's who I buy most 3rd party titles for.

Case in point : Let's say Wii and PS3 were on par in every way. Would you prefer to play a game like RDR on a controller or Wiimote? I would chose the controller every time. Even if the PS3 version had more hiccups. Better controls over better graphics any day.

On one hand, it seems like I'm agreeing with you, but on the other it seems like what you're referring to as "best" is graphic fidelity.
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#29Wiiplayer111Posted 2/9/2013 7:17:15 PM
FlyinTonite posted...
Exclusives matter to Sony and Nintendo. They are what people buy their consoles for.

This. Microsoft is the only one who runs of multiplats.
---
Look a you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com
#30FuzzyJelloPosted 2/9/2013 7:32:32 PM
Nintendo and Microsoft couldn't keep their consoles afloat without them; Nintendo is self explanatory and Halo is the only recurring draw the Xbox has ever had, even as Microsoft valiantly fought to change that early in the 360's life.

Meanwhile Sony has the interest of most of Japan by default. That fact alone powered PSP and PS1 would have bowed out far less gracefully at home and abroad without it; as I understand it Sony really didn't have to do too much of their own development in either case. Not that Sony didn't commission games, particularly on the PSP, but that the Japanese market didn't compel them to to the degree they did in the West.

Barring any personal experience, those strike me as pretty obvious.