IGN: Do exclusives still matter (interesting video)

#31darkjedilinkPosted 2/9/2013 9:29:15 PM
FuzzyJello posted...
Sony has the interest of most of Japan by default.

DS, 3DS and Wii sales compared to Vita, PS3 and PSP sales suggest otherwise.

Like, a lot.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#32FuzzyJelloPosted 2/11/2013 8:18:33 PM
darkjedilink posted...
FuzzyJello posted...

Like, a lot.

PS3 taking 7 out of 10 noteworthy Japanese console exclusives (To give some wiggle room for the Wii, which did get a lot of support, a lot of which the rest of the world never saw) since Microsoft stopped getting JRPGs, and the PSP both outlasting its international life cycle and continuing to outsell its successor illustrate my point. Consumers are allowed to go in multiple directions, but it doesn't change the existing numbers- though it may reinforce trends as to what consoles people buy for what, thus changing to encouraging where exclusives go.
#33darkjedilinkPosted 2/11/2013 8:53:13 PM(edited)
FuzzyJello posted...
darkjedilink posted...
FuzzyJello posted...

Like, a lot.

PS3 taking 7 out of 10 noteworthy Japanese console exclusives (To give some wiggle room for the Wii, which did get a lot of support, a lot of which the rest of the world never saw) since Microsoft stopped getting JRPGs, and the PSP both outlasting its international life cycle and continuing to outsell its successor illustrate my point. Consumers are allowed to go in multiple directions, but it doesn't change the existing numbers- though it may reinforce trends as to what consoles people buy for what, thus changing to encouraging where exclusives go.

Dragon Quest? Nintendo exclusive. Monster Hunter? Nintendo exclusive.

Final Fantasy is no longer Sony exclusive.

These are the three largest franchises in Japan, and Sony doesn't have any of them as an exclusive anymore.

And, again, that's beside the point - NONE of those exclusive franchises that Sony has have helped them beat Nintendo in Japan. None of them have helped Sony beat Nintendo anywhere else in the world, either.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#34BlackPhoenix127Posted 2/11/2013 9:12:28 PM
Exclusives matter only as much as the console producers rely on them. In other words, the importance of exclusives vary from console to console and over time. What matters most is what a console is trying to bring to the consumers that no other can, until recently this thing has been exclusives.

Take Nintendo as an easy example. Their pull is their exclusive games. While some people will argue on their stance on gaming and their hardware, yada yada; I barely ever see anyone arguing that their software isn't in the top tier of games. Looking purely as a software developer, Nintendo probably has the most competitive line up when compared to pretty much any other developer. Of course this is all subjective, but overall I'd say many would agree with this. Sure, they try new things with new controllers, miiverse, etc. but their big pull is in their lineup. So much so that they're pretty much the only one of the big three that could possibly survive on their own merits with minimal third party support. Long story short, in Nintendo's case exclusives are vital to their business strategy.

Looking at the polar opposite though is Microsoft. Their pull, which I don't really understand, is Xbox Live. I don't understand in that I don't see why anyone would willing pay to play online when the other two consoles offer it for free. But regardless that is their pull along with Halo, which is their mega exclusive. Xbox does have a few other exclusives but none are as huge as Halo, but unlike Nintendo, Xbox would never be able to survive on only their exclusives. They need third party multiplats and have relied on them. This gen they enjoyed their status as the base platform to develop on. It will be interesting to see how things change for them in this upcoming gen.

Finally there is Sony which is stuck somewhere in the middle. Their first two gens they enjoyed the having tons of exclusive titles, but these titles were predominantly from third parties. This helped them out a lot the past two gens but, I believe, never pushed them to develop their own sort of identity to carry themselves. A lot of people, myself included, bought in to the PS3 just assuming it would get lots of third party exclusives again. They came to rely on third party exclusives, and now that most of them are gone they're having to try and differentiate themselves from Xbox which is proving troublesome. Hate to say, but I rarely if ever see people buying Playstation for their first party games. They're good supplemental games, but not system sellers.
---
PSN: Azure-Edge
#35FuzzyJelloPosted 2/12/2013 12:14:47 AM
darkjedilink posted...
FuzzyJello posted...
darkjedilink posted...
FuzzyJello posted...

Like, a lot.

Dragon Quest? Nintendo exclusive. Monster Hunter? Nintendo exclusive.

Final Fantasy is no longer Sony exclusive.

These are the three largest franchises in Japan, and Sony doesn't have any of them as an exclusive anymore.

They also aren't the only games that exist. They have presence that suggests otherwise, but they aren't.

They're system sellers, but I'd like to believe a worthwhile percentage of gamers would not be satisfied if they were the only games they ever played on the console. Those that do make bad purchases; I recall everyone who cursed because they felt their devotion to Monster Hunter, or Zelda (Even though they knew they'd hate Skyward's Motion Control), or their awe of Xenoblade forced them to buy a Wii. No sympathy.

They move consoles- like crazy and often when nothing else will- I'm not going to deny that for the sake of semantics, but you can't drown out the other 99.9% of games because of them.

Sony absolutely lost their choke-hold on exclusives this generation, but far more of those would-bes were lost being going multi-plat (Though that really doesn't matter in Japan as the 360 was a niche product day one, so more press for Sony) than to Nintendo. I'm far closer to Nintendo fanboy than Sony pony, but while Nintendo's gains were absolutely critical, they were not total- the Wii hardware made sure of that. I'm actually hoping the Wii U will eventually get on the multi-plat train full time and remedy the situation a bit.
#36darkqueenhelbaPosted 2/12/2013 12:23:47 AM
If exclusives weren't important there'd be no reason for competition. And major hardware companies would fall out of the market. There's a reason why exclusives exist and there's a reason why people buy these products. If every device could do the exact same thing and had the exact same material all it would boil down to is price. So yeah, exclusives matter. I've never said, "you can't spell ignorant without IGN" but that was pretty stupid....
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!