Why do the character models look worse on Wind Waker HD than in the original?

#1AdamLazarusoPosted 2/9/2013 4:45:15 AM
http://news.cnet.com/2300-17938_105-10015563-11.html

Seriously, Link looks much nicer in the original screenshot than in the 'HD' screen there.

They should either go completely cel shaded or they should go cartoony-realistic (like OoT, Twilight Princess, etc...). A mix of the two just doesn't look very good.
---
We should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other.
#2AdamLazaruso(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 4:47:38 AM
I'm not immensely impressed with the environments either, but I get the feeling they'll look a lot better in motion when the bloom isn't so overwhelming.
---
#3AdamLazaruso(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 7:12:48 AM
Bump. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
---
#4kaiser ryuPosted 2/9/2013 7:26:14 AM
Importing what I said from another topic:

Am I the only one who thinks this update sort of looks terrible as is? Not just the bloom either. I mean, I loved the original flat look. It matched the artwork almost perfectly. I really do not feel WW was a game that suffered visually from the limitations of its platform. As it is now they're just changing it for the sake of change. The new weird sort of shading going on feels like a betrayal of the original art. It just looks wrong.

I'd have loved to see MM get the face lift treatment honestly. There's a game that would have benefited a TON by being given it's own visual identity. MM being OoT's art assets sort of mucked around into new configurations to me gave off sort of a fan hack game vibe. It really felt like it was unnecessarily undercutting MM's apparent value as a stand alone title.

I guess this means I agree with you TC.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06
#5KAMMYqueenPosted 2/9/2013 7:26:28 AM
well seeing how the game is far from being done........
---
KAMMY KOOPA and baby kammy koopa for Super Smash Bros
U
#61337toothbrushPosted 2/9/2013 7:30:12 AM
It looks worse because they abandoned the cel-shading look for a more generic smooth shader.
---
------------
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/hobo2/nowsaving-1.png
#7Big_IsaacPosted 2/9/2013 7:31:42 AM
1 it's a different artstyle. it goes for a more 3-dimensional look, instead of the originals cartoony 2-dimensional one, which is why the character models look a little like dolls.
2 it's a beta screenshot. wait until you see it in motion at E3
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#8Mattatron42Posted 2/9/2013 7:33:03 AM
they note in the caption that the pic from the original is enhanced by an emulator, so I'm not sure if that is the best way to compare. Also it is still fairly early in developement, but agreed the original in that comparison looks more vibrant.
---
3ds fc: 4940-5666-3487
NNID: Mattatron
#9promo123Posted 2/9/2013 7:42:51 AM
http://news.cnet.com/2300-17938_105-10015563-8.html

This picture is what excites me. Everything just looks a lot less boring compared to the original WW picture. In the original the ocean and the sky just look boring, while in the HD version there's shadows from the village on the ocean and a lot more (better looking) clouds in the sky. It's the minor details. It makes me really excited to play through the game again, because I know it's capable of having more things going on around you.
---
Everybody's havin' a good time with Poppy Bros!
#10Ryan SiPosted 2/9/2013 9:44:16 AM
The HD version looks better. Besides, your comparing the original to what's essentially an early look.
---
Currently Playing: Portal 2 (PC), DMC3 HD (PS3), Assassins Creed II (PC)