DICE : "Nobody talking about the new WiiU projects they started, only cancelled"

#1CagebladePosted 2/9/2013 1:24:07 PM
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512515

"At DICE, nobody has been talking about the new Wii U projects they have started, only the Wii U projects that have just been cancelled.

Publishers and developers from the US, UK, France, Germany, and Australia mainly.

Pubs and devs never recoiled from PS3 like they seem to be with Wii U (though this is anecdotal). There was always the confidence that the numbers would get there over time with PS3. I'm not sensing that with Wii U.

I had a data point yesterday at lunch with a high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell "millions" over time. It only managed "tens of thousands".

Platform is in serious trouble.
---
Browser:Error 404
#2MichaeIPachterPosted 2/9/2013 1:27:04 PM
This is because publishers have already abandoned the system. Making Wii U games bankrupted THQ and no one else wants to succumb to the same fate.
---
It's a profit deal.
#3bskiffingtonPosted 2/9/2013 1:27:18 PM
The problem wiht that last line, about a game supposedly selling millions, is that the game was likely AC3, BO2, ME3 or Darksiders 2, something that's already out on another console before it was launched for the Wii U (I can't really think of any high budget games besides NSMBU that are out at the moment other than those). Add that in with the fact that Wii U numbers are only at, iirc, 3 million they would be expecting that nearly every single owner of the Wii U would buy their game? That's a pipe dream.
#4Red_hot_smasherPosted 2/9/2013 1:27:51 PM
Over time = not even 3 months?
---
www.avaaz.org, www.allout.org, www.amnesty.org
All these organizations for human rights, and yet noone cares about the victims of copyright law. ;,(
#5bskiffingtonPosted 2/9/2013 1:28:29 PM
MichaeIPachter posted...
This is because publishers have already abandoned the system. Making Wii U games bankrupted THQ and no one else wants to succumb to the same fate.

Also, this.
#6diggyfreshPosted 2/9/2013 1:31:08 PM
Cageblade posted...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512515

"At DICE, nobody has been talking about the new Wii U projects they have started, only the Wii U projects that have just been cancelled.

Publishers and developers from the US, UK, France, Germany, and Australia mainly.

Pubs and devs never recoiled from PS3 like they seem to be with Wii U (though this is anecdotal). There was always the confidence that the numbers would get there over time with PS3. I'm not sensing that with Wii U.

I had a data point yesterday at lunch with a high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell "millions" over time. It only managed "tens of thousands".

Platform is in serious trouble.

u quote a forum thread? these statements are just some forum members conversation edited to look like news.

nice try.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#7Enigma149Posted 2/9/2013 1:31:21 PM
bskiffington posted...
The problem wiht that last line, about a game supposedly selling millions, is that the game was likely AC3, BO2, ME3 or Darksiders 2, something that's already out on another console before it was launched for the Wii U (I can't really think of any high budget games besides NSMBU that are out at the moment other than those). Add that in with the fact that Wii U numbers are only at, iirc, 3 million they would be expecting that nearly every single owner of the Wii U would buy their game? That's a pipe dream.

If the 3DS, Vita, and Wii U launches have taught you only one thing, make it be this: developers always overestimate the popularity of their games.

Remember RE:R? It had the best attachment rate of any Resident Evil game since Resident Evil 4 on the GameCube, but Capcom declared its sales "below expectations". Zombie U has an attachment rate of almost 15%, yet many called the sales rate "disappointing". And why? Because developers (and, for that matter, analysts, journalists, and GameFAQs users) don't seem to realize that if a system only has 3 million units sold, selling 2 million copies of a game isn't going to happen.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#8squatch22Posted 2/9/2013 1:31:39 PM
MichaeIPachter posted...

what Wii U games did THQ make then?
---
Dog posted: I know I have bias...
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#9DiscostewSMPosted 2/9/2013 1:32:25 PM
MichaeIPachter posted...
Making Wii U games bankrupted THQ

I'll take "BS statements" for $200, Alex.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#10ElectricMolePosted 2/9/2013 1:34:34 PM
Why are 3rd parties losing faith in the wii u gamepad? its too early to can projects.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, PSN: kronekodow7188